Author Topic: Arena Event: Dragon Free for All Battle (Saturday, June 23rd)  (Read 4613 times)

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
Battleground Games & Hobbies - Abington

Date: Saturday, June 23rd 2012.

Time: Registration begins at 1 PM. All characters must be ready to roll promptly at 2 PM (please create your characters well in advance of the event!) Pre-generated Characters Will be Available if needed.

Entrance Fee: $5.00

RULES FOR THE ARENA: Black Dragon Free for All Battle

SPECIAL EVENT RULES:
Be prepared for anything!
You will be battling in the Arena against a Dragon that is as least Large in size. The Dragon will require the coordination and teamwork of multiple players in order to defeat.  That being said, the Gladiators could choose to attack one another for personal glory or previous vendetta's in past Arena's. (Being jealous of previous winners is understandable).

We will be calculating the total damage that each Gladiator deals to the Dragon as well as other Gladiators to determine the top prize winners of this event. This will give the event a particularly unique spin, since multiple players could turn on one another if the Dragon appears to be near death, in order to gain the most glory and win the day; all the while, if the Gladiators start fighting one another, the Dragon could easily gain the upper hand and kill all the remaining Gladiators.

Note: If you have dealt the most Damage to the Dragon/other Gladiators but have fallen before the event is over (the event will end, when there is one Gladiator or Dragon standing).

The Crit Hit deck will be in effect for this event for dramatic flair.

RULEBOOKS:
Pathfinder Core Rulebook. ONLY the Pathfinder Core Rulebook can be used to create a character – NO EXCEPTIONS! Pre-generated characters will be available as options to anyone unable or not interested in creating their own character.
However, you are granted to choose from the TEAMWORK specific feats from the Advanced Players Guide and the Ultimate Combat Books.

LEVEL:
ALL Gladiators much be Level 3.

ABILITY SCORES:
All Gladiators MUST use the High Fantasy rules for 20 Point Buy for their Ability Scores which can be found on pages 15-16 of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

RACES:
Your Gladiator may be any race in the Core Rulebook.

CLASSES:
Participants MUST create a level 3 Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, or Ranger.
NO MULTICLASSING will be allowed for this event.

HIT POINTS:
Determine your maximum possible Hit Points for your character at first level, and then add (+6/barbarian or +5/fighter/ranger or +4/rogue) + CON Bonus for each additional level after the first.

ANIMAL COMPANIONS:
Not allowed. This includes the purchasing of animals from the "Equipment" section like horses or dogs.

ALIGNMENT
Any.

EQUIPMENT:
Each character begins with 200 gp with which to buy items from the Core Rule Book Equipment section.  Absolutely NO magic items.

HOW THE BATTLE WILL WORK:
All Gladiators will be placed around the approximately 4’ x 6’ arena at Battleground. Here is the arena for reference:

Special Event Rules:
Find a friend and show up.  Don't have a friend, no worries.  We will provide you with a friend!
Be Prepared for anything!!
The Crit Hit deck will be in effect for this event for dramatic flair.
The remaining people on the winning team receive the court rewards. (Battleground store credit)

INITIATIVE & DELAY:
Initiative will be determined and the battle will ensue. All gladiators are expected to immediately move toward another gladiator and begin their attack, or use a missile weapon to do so. The crowd watching the fight dislikes it when gladiators stall or stay out of the fray, and their mood can have a strong influence on the success or failure of a gladiator’s performance. Each round that a gladiator does not make an attack against another gladiator will result in an adjustment on the sliding performance scale.

1st Round without making an attack: Crowd takes notice and shouts a few jeers. Combatant takes a -1 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

2nd Round without making an attack: Crowd begins to shout and taunt the stalling gladiator. Combatant takes a -2 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

3rd Round without making an attack: Crowd becomes very hostile and chants relentlessly about the gladiator’s cowardice and begins to throw rotten vegetables (purchased by conveniently located vendors) at the gladiator. Combatant takes a -4 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

4th Round without making an attack: Crowd is enraged. The emperor’s court wizards, in order to maintain order in the stands, begins to fire magic missiles at the stalling gladiator. Subsequent rounds will continue with these penalties in place.

Gladiators must work their way back up the ladder in order to remove accrued penalties.

Conversely, gladiators who show great bravado will be rewarded in similar ways.

Every time an opponent is slain in the arena, the gladiator dealing the killing blow will receive a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws (if a gladiator is in the negatives when he receives this bonus it brings him up one further on the scale). This bonus will remain for as long as the gladiator continues to relentlessly assault his opponents. If at any time the gladiator fails to attack an opponent in a given round the bonus will be affected as noted above.

A gladiator that delivers a critical hit also gains a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

A gladiator cannot under any circumstances accrue a bonus higher than +3 in this way.

EXPECT THE REFEREE TO MAKE ON THE SPOT JUDGEMENTS TO DETERMINE IF A GLADIATOR IS GUILTY OF DELAY INFRACTIONS!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:20:56 PM by ckelble »
A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave. - Wiegraf Folles

King of the Elves

Re: Arena Event: Dragon Free for All Battle (Saturday, June 23rd)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:53:13 AM »
Note: If you have dealt the most Damage to the Dragon/other Gladiators but have fallen before the event is over (the event will end, when there is one Gladiator or Dragon standing).

So what will happen?? I get that if 4 people (together) kill the dragon the person who did the most damage wins, but if the guy who did the most damage (like he crit hit 4 times) dies what happens? And what happens if the dragon dies turn 1?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:50:12 PM by Cale »

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:31:28 AM »

So what will happen?? I get that if 4 people (together) kill the dragon the person who did the most damage wins, but if the guy who did the most damage (like he crit hit 4 times) dies what happens? And what happens if the dragon dies turn 1?

If 4 people work together to kill the dragon, they must then fight until 1 gladiator is left standing before damage can be tallied and a winner can be declared. This means that the last man standing doesn't necessarily win; it simply means he will have lived the longest, and thus have had the most round to potentially win the "damage race"

If the guy who did the most damage (crit 4 times) dies, he could still potentially win the "damage race."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:50:29 PM by Cale »
A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave. - Wiegraf Folles

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »
The Dragon won't die turn 1, I promise  :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:50:41 PM by Cale »

King of the Elves

Re: Arena Event: Dragon Free for All Battle (Saturday, June 9th)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Ok, sounds like fun!

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Arena Event: Dragon Free for All Battle (Saturday, June 9th)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
Cale, I've got a quick job for you...

Clear up the part that Dylan asked a question about.  I was left with the same question he was.

Add the pic of the Arena the post refers to.

Edit the parts that refer to older events.

Take out anything you don't want in this event.

And most importantly...

PROMOTE THIS SHIT ON FB!!!  The Arena things are too cool to not be seen by 2000+ people (FB stats are cool).
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »
Another event I can't make but wish I could.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:50:52 PM by Cale »
beep bop boop

King of the Elves

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
I know this could not happen because of lack of people (that's what Chad said) and I was wondering was this annonced on FB?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:51:01 PM by Cale »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
I know this could not happen because of lack of people (that's what Chad said) and I was wondering was this annonced on FB?

NOPE!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:51:12 PM by Cale »

King of the Elves

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »

NOPE!  ;)

/facepalm
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:51:24 PM by Cale »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »
I think these events are the perfect thing to get the guys in Abington used to writing, organizing, and promoting events.  I'd love to see them really get behind them.  Obviously tons of work goes into creating seemingly awesome Arena ideas events, but none of that matters if no one knows about them!!

Facebook is THE BEST tool we currently have to tell people about what we do and when we do it.  It's gotta be used.

I strongly believe that anyone who enjoys Pathfinder would want to play in something like this, we've just gotta let people know about it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:51:34 PM by Cale »

King of the Elves

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »
Good luck tomarrow guys. Hopefully you will get some more people to play  :)