Author Topic: First Attempt at Green Stuff  (Read 4020 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
First Attempt at Green Stuff
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »

First attempt at some Green Stuff Sculpting I went with something more difficult than I should of . Any feedback is great. I know its not the greatest picture but Best I could do with my phone atm.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Grand Master Steve

Re: First Attempt at Green Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
well the primary thing that sticks out to me is the texture ocne its dried. Its not smooth. One tip I was given was use some oil when making what you desire to make it stick to one surface and smooth the showing surface. If its dry try model sand paper to smooth it out.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
i prefer wet fingers. before and sand paper after
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:31:04 AM »
Awesome first attempt. I've bee modeling for over ten years and that stuff still gives me trouble.

The hardest par is getting it nice and smooth once you're set. Like Seth said, using some water on whatever tool you're using helps a lot, even if you're just using your fingers.

I've heard oil recommended, but have never tried it. Water has always been enough.
beep bop boop

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »
I think part of it was how long I took in total towards the end I think it was curing making things a little difficult to work with . Im going to try mixing my Green Stuff a Little differently instead of going 1 to 1 I'm going to add a Little more Yellow in to make it a little softer to work with for longer. 

Going to try something smaller next time.

Have any of you done Greenstuff sculpts to be seen by both sides. Like a Set of wings or anything like that?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:46:12 AM »
I have. Those are super hard. I ended up working on one side at a time, letting it cure and then doing the other.
beep bop boop

Rofel

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
Aside from using green stuff to repair or reinforce joints, I've done a couple capes and minor tidbits. If you're planning on doing something that is protruding off a model then I'd recommend making a frame for it.

Use a paperclip to shape the upper part of the wing, flag, etc which puts the weight of the green stuff on a fixed frame which can be better secured to the model.

My dakkadakka gallery has some pathfinders that I did using green stuff and firewarrior bits, but I haven't tried making a double-sided sculpt yet. Let us know how yours goes and what works for you.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
Well I am doing something very simple. I am doing a pair of Dragon Wings. I think the best way Im going to go about it is lay out the bone structure with green stuff let that cure. then using a thin layer of green stuff cut out the sinew portions and attach them to the bone structure after they cure a bit making it much simpler than trying to sculpt the whole wing in one go.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:10:11 AM »

What would Salamander's Bikes be without some Fire Exhaust.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:17:33 AM »
lol that looks cool

King of the Elves

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
I approve

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
as do I

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

Not quite done going to do cleanup when it cures . Took Rofel's advice the bone structure I used Paperclips to form wrapped in green stuff then attached to each other to form the bones of the wing. after finishing that and letting it cure I rolled some green stuff flat moved the bone structure on top and cut away to excess leaving a little bit to mold it in.

Then for fun I took to excess Green Stuff  and Made an Objective marker for kicks.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
Wings and flames are fine, but when is your army getting hats?

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »

It's Kinda hard making them but its a work in progress Ben.