Author Topic: Stormwall Assembly/Painting Blog  (Read 6894 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: Stormwall Assembly/Painting Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:11:23 AM »
You're a weirdo.
beep bop boop

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »
You're a weirdo.

Play dates are cute.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »
You're a weirdo.

Ian you used to hang out with Rich all the time.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
More progress with the big fella in between starting up some Khadoran bastards for the Plainville Journeyman League. When he's done I'll have 309pts of Cygnar painted. That'll only leave me with 195pts to go...  :-\

Torso shot. Still need to blend more on hands and still some minor clean-up work, but its close.

Legs. I had debated, but ultimately went for it when it came to really dirtying up his feet.

Working on the head though I still need to do all 4 guns, 6 tesla coils, and shoulder pads. Then there's the Lightning Pods... but that's another story. I will say that painting this model in pieces (including doing the head and such separately) was possibly the smartest thing I could have done for a model this big. At the same time its infuriating because I feel like you have less of a sense of the final product than when you paint a fully assembled model.

I added ivy to the base around the girder and lamp post, as well as towards the gear in the back. I'm happy with it, but I am debating if I want tufts of grass. I'd totally recommend Army Painter basing supplies. The vines, leaves, and various grassy patches they make nicely supplement other items like GW's snow and static grass.

|------ WE NOW TAKE YOU FROM YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED CYGNARAN SCUM TO THE GREAT WHITE NORTH ------|

Comrades,

In accordance with Plainville Journeyman League Policy, Item 7A, Paragraph C here is photographic documentation of work done on models this past weekend.

As a foreword I tend not to focus on any single thing when I paint. I like having several different things going at once (for example I also worked on an Infinity figure and an Ultramarine in addition to these models and the Stormwall - go fig). I like to experiment and go with whatever is keeping my attention for a couple hours until something else inevitably steals it away.

I started batch painting Harkevich, pIrusk (2009), and pSorscha (2009), but got sick of doing green. The Torch model that I put two shades on also falls into this camp.

I then felt like seeing if I could do black armor in a cool way and switched to Great Bears and Black Ivan.

I will be posting before and after shots of my models on the forums as the league rolls on. Its just a lot more convenient for me this way given work, commute, the fact I'll definitely miss 2-3 Fridays, not always having all my stuff with me, and so on. Thanks for the understanding.

|------ NOW BACK TO YOUR POISONOUS CYGNARAN PROGRAMMING -------|
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:49:53 PM by jonm »

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
MOAR GREEN KHADOR! I love it all!
beep bop boop

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
I've always preferred non-traditional color schemes on Khador much more than other factions. They look so much better in green and in white.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
So the big guy is like 99% done at this point. He just needs some touch ups.  :)

Now I can finally test this dude on the tabletop. Not really having him assembled really kept me from wanting to put him out there. I didn't want to just put a base with legs on it on the table and say it was a Stormwall.

This puts me at 309 points of painted Cygnar. The sad part is that I still have almost 200 more points of Cygnar to go (including a second Stormwall), plus about 100pts of each of my other three factions, plus my 40k armies. Ugh! Still, one piece at a time.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:33:24 PM by jonm »

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
Shot of what I've painted for Cygnar thus far. About 310 points. Still... so... much...left...

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
That is one intimidating Force sir

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
really impressive painting and basing, does Warmachine have apocalypse level games? lol

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
Thanks, guys!

And yeah, their version of Apocalypse is "Unbound" which typically runs at 150 points I believe with three warcasters per army.

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »
That force is just inspiring ;) I can't wait to see the big guy finished.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »
Hey, Jon, could you explain how you put in the magnets or maybe just a closer up shot?  I think your idea is brilliant and I'm starting Stormwall 1 of 2 this week.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »
Sure thing. It was pretty easy. I don't remember what size they were off the top of my head, I can check when I get home. Basically I just attached both legs to the pelvis and inserted one of the magnets where the space for the peg is in the pelvis (insert sex joke/gay joke/that's what she said). I then put the two torso pieces together and attached the other magnet to the peg sticking out of the torso. I didn't put on the arms until after the torso was secure so I could pose it how I wanted.

The magnets work pretty well and will keep it together barring a serious jolt. I did end up gluing mine together though because of the random pipe that essentially rests between the front of the torso and the pelvis (please, by all means, this is ripe for hilarity). I couldn't figure out a way to secure it without making it permanent.