Author Topic: Faeit 212 and BoLS and GW (maybe?)  (Read 6055 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: Faeit 212 and BoLS and GW (maybe?)
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
Hey, I'm republican.  screw copyright (and patents, and most trademarks, too).  Shit's screwed up.

I laughed out loud so hard when I read this

Why?

I'm against things that don't make sense -- like going after sites that are giving your free publicity.

It's most likely because they don't want competitor's stealing ideas before the models actually hit shelves. I'm not a lawyer, but I read that anyone can legally copy GWs concepts and then turn around and sue GW for releasing their own model. In other words, if the model is only a picture and not yet released, then its fair game to copy.
[/quote]

Kinda.  Keep in mind you're not allowed to copyright and idea, only the specific expression (but courts screw this up all the time).  This is why people getting upset about copied plot outlines are silly....the basic plot is just an idea, and anyway there's arguably only a limited number of viable basic plots anyway. 

Regardless, the point is that GW can't just copyright the basic idea of "big armored guy on a horse-sized wolf", they can only copyright a specific sculpture.  Any other such sculpture is only a violation to the degree that it's copying that sepcific sculpture (always highly arguable) but it's certainly never a violation to make a fairly different looking big armored guy on a horse-sized wolf.

There's nothing especailly magical about a "release date", though.  Actually the leaked pictures could be considered a "publication date" of sorts, by themselves.  They still made the first one. 

IP law has evolved over centuries and it is now quite happily feeding on itself.  It's got it's own metagame.  It's built on certain bones of reason that make sense if you accept certain precepts (I don't, largely) but it no longer makes much sense even in that context. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:55:01 PM by Sir_Prometheus »

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
It's most likely because they don't want competitor's stealing ideas before the models actually hit shelves. I'm not a lawyer, but I read that anyone can legally copy GWs concepts and then turn around and sue GW for releasing their own model. In other words, if the model is only a picture and not yet released, then its fair game to copy.

What?

I can see why you have the views you do about copyrights.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

MM3791

• God
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
I don't know all the laws, it's just what I read. I agree, I would also like to know what models and rules are being released with more then just a one week notice. I was merely trying to make sense of why GW has that particular policy.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »
I don't know all the laws either. I do know to be skeptical of most things until I see the source and then the source itself needs to be verified. I remember when the DMCA was passed and because of it DRM became a hardcore thing.

The way most of these cases work, both by the government, people and corporations is that some law is put into place. Then that law is tested by someone fighting against it. If Bols and buddies could stand the legal bills, I'm sure they could help out sort out what an idiotic congress passed into law. Sadly, that's normally how things work as the courts don't care until it is brought to their attention.

Until then, we have to deal with what seem to be frivolous takedown notices. If you don't think they are frivolous and trigger happy, go on youtube, pick a video. Report the video as something you created and that it was stolen. Watch it removed without any real evidence. Google can be such a wimp sometimes.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »
I reccomend reading a lot of techdirt.com if you want to learn how crazy IP laws actually are.