Author Topic: Plainville Player's Choice Event  (Read 398 times)

SyRael

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Plainville Player's Choice Event
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
After some individuals talking to me either by the web or in person I will make the same offer about running these events that I did to the Abington store to Plainville. This is a copy of the post I did, but the thread is new. Is there enough interest in the Plainville to run a month to month event like this which could lead to a Abington vrs. Plainville Best of Player's Choice 40k event? If so, post here and we can explore the possibilities.   

I had an idea about creating a Player's Choice tournament or game event in Abington once a month. The idea is that the player in the community create unique and creative game formats that are competitive, but break free of traditional mission based games. I have been doing this somewhat at the store (the tomb world raid, team capture the flag, and the 7 man-free-for-all 1500 pt King of the Hill) and there has been a real taking to the custom formats. There would be prizes perhaps; ten dollars to play with the pool split between the store and winner, or everyone brings bitz and the bitz pool becomes the prize. The objective could be for a store title or trophy. We would create prizes along these lines (ideas that shift from month to month).
    This could start in July (maybe the 28th). I was thinking about running a 515 pt (515 is just a odd number and feels right for this) death man squad seek and destroy. HQs would have to been taken along with 4 troop models. The rest of the points can be in anything but vehicles or other HQs. Every model in the squad acts as an independent character and can break rank if wanted. This would be played over a multiple table play area with everyone at the event playing at the same time.
    The Objective: each player selects one model in their squad to be the carrier. the ideas is to hunt and kill every one else carrier, scoring a kill point for every carrier killed. At the end of five rounds, whoever has the most kill points wins. The fluff is that the carrier is holding something of high importance that you would never want the enemy to have. The carrier could be marked by a piece of masking tape under base or written down and given to myself or store employee. If this goes well I did create rules for a 4 team HQs only DEATH BALL for next month. What does everyone think?

Brandon

15,000 Apocalypse Cron
2,500 Casual Space Marine
6pt Not Sure Why Ork
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:56:51 PM by SyRael »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Plainville Player's Choice Event
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
I want to preface this by saying that I support community run, organized, and designed events 100%.

Here's a few things that should be considered if you plan to take this idea to Plainville as well.

1)  The name of the event.  "Player's Choice" is a phrase that already has a distinct meaning to the community in Plainville and the people that play in our tournaments.  Anyone reading the thread title will likely think the event has something to do with an award we give out at the store sponsored tournaments.

The Player's Choice Award requires every person / team to fill out a 1 page survey that scores their opponent on various things relating to the hobby, rules, and sportsmanship after each round.

Let's avoid confusion by renaming it.

2)  I have no interest in pitting the Abington community against the Plainville community in any way, shape, or form at any time.  I want the communities to get along, "be one", and most certainly not have any sort of grudge / animosity towards each other, even if it's SUPPOSED to be about fun.

I think this is a neat idea and encourage you to make it happen.  If you need any help or have any questions, let me know.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Plainville Player's Choice Event
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »
I agree with Chase's 1 & 2. Otherwise, yeah, more 40k is a good thing.