Author Topic: Disney Buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars ep 7  (Read 3763 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Disney Buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars ep 7
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
Disney has bought out Lucasfilm for 4.05 Billion dollars and has slated Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015 with the release of Avengers 2. What are your guys thoughts on this because I can barely wrap my head around it.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars ep 7
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
I saw this earlier, crazy news. Disney is noq quite the powerhouse with all it's franchises.

It will be hard for them to screw up worse than jar jar binks

They obviously need to recast the whole cast (except chewie and the droids)

I HOPE they stick with the expanded universe, the material there covers stuff for like 50 years after episode 6.

The Thrawn trilogy would make for great movies, bring on Mara Jade!

The Yuzong Vong would be good too, but that would take WAY more than 3 movies to wrap up

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:47 AM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:07:14 AM by Imp »
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
It's big news, first Marvel and not Lucas Films (and everything associated with LFL). Perhaps they could get Whedon to do Episode 7.

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
there seems to be a good chance.they will pull a jj abrams, and cast new han, luke, and leia. My biggest fear is that they will rewrite large parts of the eu rather than try and work with it.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »
there seems to be a good chance.they will pull a jj abrams, and cast new han, luke, and leia. My biggest fear is that they will rewrite large parts of the eu rather than try and work with it.

Unless they do it in the EU like 40 years or more out they have to recast... honestly they need to recast

I dont forsee them using any EU books as a manuscript, i think the best we can hope for is they use EU characters and storylines in the movie. If they try to skip way ahead it wont make sense because it will miss out on too much, Thrawn, Jedi Kids, re-founding the jedi order, mara jade, yuzon vong, etc, etc.

Hopefully it picks up within 10 years or so... and as long as they are changing stuff in the EU please dont kill chewie or mara jade this time around.

edit: NOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96569
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:18:25 PM by PhoenixFire »

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • So what're we playing today?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 02:53:11 AM »
Just a few questions:

1. Why would Lucas sell his company just like that after all the hoarding of the money he has been doing with Star Wars? (Not saying negatively about him - I'd do the same thing.)

2. How much is the Star Wars Franchise and Lucas Films worth in stocks?

3. Who wants to go with me to Disney World to give Darth Vader a high-five?
I got a 1!....That's a good thing, right?

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:11:22 AM »
4.05 billion. more money hoarding possible.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »
well it does say a majority is going to charity so what only 2.024 billion for him.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
If they don't set Episode VII at least 40 years in the future and focus on the offspring of the Skywalker family, they will be making a huge mistake. It will be a clear sign that the new producers do not understand the property they hold.

You can't recast Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia and expect the movie to be well received.

Personally, I'd like to see an old Luke Skywalker Jedi Master played by Mark Hamill.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
well it does say a majority is going to charity so what only 2.024 billion for him.

The majority is 4 billion  :o Well done, George.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:51 AM »
If they don't set Episode VII at least 40 years in the future and focus on the offspring of the Skywalker family, they will be making a huge mistake. It will be a clear sign that the new producers do not understand the property they hold.

You can't recast Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia and expect the movie to be well received.

Personally, I'd like to see an old Luke Skywalker Jedi Master played by Mark Hamill.

Not exactly sure who but they said that Episode VII will be based on an 'original' story and I forget after that.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:02 AM »
Episode 7 will be an original Story. They will pull material out of books but not be based exclusively off a book series. That is all I could dig up.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com