Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy Battleground Community Relief Effort  (Read 2782 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Hurricane Sandy Battleground Community Relief Effort
« on: November 04, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
Hello,

My name is Elsa Bourque, I am a second teacher with the Boston Public Schools.  I am writing this letter to ask for your help.  My best friend, Leandra Aguirre, is a New York City public school’s teacher in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York.   During hurricane Sandy, Far Rockaway, a small peninsula with around 120,000 residents, was devastated.  Leandra is currently coordinating an effort to collect and distribute food, potable water, and supplies to the people of this high poverty community.  My husband Richard and I are trying to garner support for Leandra’s restoration effort by collecting high need items that we will drive to the Far Rockaway’s this coming Saturday, November 10th, for direct distribution at a distribution center.

Community information:

The Far Rockaway area of Queens, NY is a community of around 120,000 people with a median household income of $27,000. 

How did hurricane Sandy affect this area?

The Far Rockaway community continues to be without power, heat, and potable water.  The sewer systems was damaged during the storm and backed up into the water supply.  Residents are being told that boiling their water may not make it safe enough to drink or use for cooking.  Sandy demolished a large portion of homes on Far Rockaway.  Many children and families lost EVERYTHING.  Due to flooding, there have been electrical fires that have burned many homes to the ground.  The boardwalk along their local beach was torn off and wind relocated it into the streets.  There is no available gasoline, and residents are being told that it may be a month before heat and power are restored.  The local elementary and middle school, PS 43, was damaged so severely that it is one of 48 NYC public schools that cannot reopen.  Students have been out of school since Sandy hit, and will not be relocated to schools in Brooklyn and Queens until later this week. 

Teachers from PS 43, including Leandra, report that of their classes of 32 students many have reached only between 4 and 8 of their kids families so far.  If this was me and my students, I would be terrified, and you would too.  Many people have no way of leaving the peninsula due to lack of finances, and no availability of gasoline in this area. 

What can you do to help?

You can help by providing any of these high need items for us to deliver to the Far Rockaways:
•   water (bottles, gallons, larger containers also welcome)
•   toiletries (soap, sanitizer, feminine products, shampoo, etc.)
•   baby food, baby wipes
•   batteries (any sizes, mostly used for flashlights and lanterns)
•   new packages socks and underwear (all sizes)
•   coats, jackets, sweatshirts
•   blankets
•   shelf stable meals, and canned goods
•   school supplies of all kinds.

When and where can you donate?

You can donate until the evening of Friday November 9th.  Richard and I are able and willing to accept drop offs to our home if you call or e-mail us in advance. 

If you collect items from your own work, family, friends, neighbors, etc. Richard or I can drive to your location and pick up these items directly from you. 

Donations can also be brought to the Kenny Elementary School in Dorchester and dropped off in the main office until 4:00 PM (c/o Mrs. Bourque). 

Battleground Games and Hobbies stores located in Abington and Plainville will be accepting donations until Friday evening.   

Our contact information:

Richard’s e-mail: rwbourque@gmail.com  Elsa’s e-mail:  elarson@boston.k12.ma.us  Elsa’s phone: 617-686-0348

You can also contact us through facebook. 

Please spread the word and do whatever is feasible for you to do to help!  Every little bit counts.  If we all work together to spread the word we can provide direct, tangible, and necessary aid to this community in need.

Sincerest thanks,

Richard and Elsa Bourque
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:48:01 PM by the_trooper »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Hurricane Sandy Battleground Community Relief Effort
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
How did this end up, Rich?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
It ended up being very helpful.  I'll post some pictures shortly. The Battleground Community really pulled through on this one!

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
Here are the pictures, none taken by me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116326290290306127472/Sandy?authkey=Gv1sRgCKK6kYSiju2MigE

The stuff inside the house is the stuff that was donated and sorted the night before.

The outside shots are in Far Rockaway, NY.