Author Topic: Magnetizing the Forge/Maulerfiend WIP  (Read 5137 times)

Wild Card

• Wild Card Hobbies
    • Email
Magnetizing the Forge/Maulerfiend WIP
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »
I was fortunate enough to receive a brand new Forgefiend kit for my birthday back in November. I broke it out of the box this week and did some research on the kit.

I found a lovely tutorial on how to magnetize this kit over at Green Stuff Industries (http://greenstuffindustries.blogspot.com/) and will be using their work as a template to follow.

The magnets I need won't be at the house until late next week, but, in the interim, here is what I have finished so far.

This is the main assembly and the legs.

The attaching of the rear two legs in what would be the standard set up for a Forgefiend. GSI elected to us all sets of legs, so I will be attaching the two front legs, standard for the Maulerfiend, soon.

These are the weapon options for the Forgefiend and the head options as well. I will be magnetizing all of them so that they can be swapped out on the fly.

Stay tuned for more over the next few weeks.
Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Chaos.

http://wildcardhobbies.blogspot.com/

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • So what're we playing today?
Re: Magnetizing the Forge/Maulerfiend WIP
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I remember doing that, gawd did I screw up, lol. It's very convenient that it's possible to do every possible option with the kit. I just have 1 question - in the bits do you have 2 pieces that almost look like studded boxing gloves but doesn't look like it goes anywhere?
I got a 1!....That's a good thing, right?

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."

King of the Elves

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »
gawd did I screw up

That's a understatement if I ever heard one, haha

Wild Card

• Wild Card Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »
I remember doing that, gawd did I screw up, lol. It's very convenient that it's possible to do every possible option with the kit. I just have 1 question - in the bits do you have 2 pieces that almost look like studded boxing gloves but doesn't look like it goes anywhere?

I had the exact same question, and after doing a bit of research, I discovered those little, studded boxing glove parts are the covers for the magma cutters.

The instructions for this kit really leave a lot to be desired. I really feel for someone who's brand new to the hobby and gets this one. Although the individual pieces are numbered, the instructions make no use of them. The legs are complicated and can be confusing, and the way they designed the kit to be one of two separate models wasn't the best design. The way the leg set up is different between the forgefiend and the maulerfiend is not new user friendly. Heck, they don't even include instructions for the above magma cutters!

As is stated in Green Stuff Industries' blog, I feel like this kit was an attempt by GW to proscribe magnetizing attempts by their customers. Too bad that all it does is serve as a buffer for new people in the hobby.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:41:04 AM by Wild Card »

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
Awesome, thanks dood! The Magma Cutters weren't even in the instructions as an option either so I forgot about them a few times. And no Dillan I didn't screw up that bad - he stays up on his base! I just need to use stronger magnets on his weapons next time....

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."

Wild Card

• Wild Card Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
More of the continuing work on my magnetized Forgefiend/Maulerfiend, Surtur.

Featuring the forearms that are meant for the Maulerfiend. This is where GSI attached the magnets, so we will be including them in this model.

The ubiquitous black primer!

Ah! The brightness! It sears my retinas! Icy blue as a base coat for the coming washes.

A blue wash.

Then a watered down black wash over top of that to add depth. Wherever you see brown will be dry brushed with gold later this week.

The next steps are, of course, the gold for the armor, the metallics for the hardware, and some highlights on the armor as well. I will also be doing the fleshy parts of the model in a white-blue color. And, of course, the magnets should be here by the end of the week, and we'll start work with them as soon as we can.

Wild Card

• Wild Card Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »
It's been forever, but here's the latest updates on my magnetized mauler/forgefiend.

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
Coming along very well I see. Might get a 2nd kit soon....

Wild Card

• Wild Card Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »
This will be my last post for Surtur. I finished the model up this past weekend, and will be moving onto my Heldrake next.

Thanks for all the support, guys.

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »
Good luck on the Heldrake, at least there isn't much to magnetize there!

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:17:32 PM »
Looking good!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel