Author Topic: [Abington MA] Battleground 40k Doubles Event - 2/16  (Read 8920 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
[Abington MA] Battleground 40k Doubles Event - 2/16
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »

Battleground Games & Hobbies in ABINGTON MA

*Come down and help us break in the brand new space with some 40k goodness!  Let's make this the first of many big, awesome Warhammer 40k tournaments in Abington!*

Battleground is supremely concerned with keeping our Doubles tournaments fun, casual and appealing to all kinds of players and hobbyists.  With that said, we understand that by definition a tournament is competitive and we do want that as well.  Due to the popularity of these events and the different kind of players they attract, we have altered the prize structure such that a larger percentage of the players involved receive prizes based on their accomplishments.  The awards are listed below.

This event is considerably different than the Doubles events we've run in the past.  It borrows heavily from Adepticon and a lot of the changes / clarifications they've made are in line with the direction we'd like to see Doubles events go.  Please take the time to read through the entire post.

Format: Doubles (2v2) 1000 points per person (no detachments)
Date: February 16th, 2013 a Saturday
Time: Please be here no later than 10:15am. Set up at 10:45am. Dice roll no later than 11:00am.
Entrance Fee: $20.00 per person / $40.00 per team

NEW Address:
1423 Bedford Street
Abington MA 02351

Google Maps

Battleground's Facebook Page         

Please contact me at ChaseLaq@gmail.com to sign up if and only if you and your partner can commit to playing on February 16th. If you need help finding a partner please post in this thread.

RULES FOR WARHAMMER 40K TOURNAMENT

This event will be capped at 40 teams.

Rule Books:
The Warhammer 40,000 SIXTH Edition Rules will be used.

The following is a list of legal army choices:
Codex: Black Templars
Codex: Blood Angels
Codex: Chaos Daemons
Codex: Chaos Space Marines
Codex: Grey Knights
Codex: Dark Angels
Codex: Dark Eldar
Codex: Eldar
Codex: Imperial Guard
Codex: Necrons
Codex: Orks
Codex: Space Marines
Codex: Space Wolves
Codex: Tau Empire
Codex: Tyranids
Codex: Sisters of Battle (White Dwarf)

MODELS AND POINTS:

1. Each player must bring an army consisting of 1000 points or fewer (975 min), in accordance with these rules. Each team will consist of two players fighting together. 

Each player must select one of the following Half Force Org Charts for this event.  Players on a team may not select the same option twice.  In the case of Troops, a team MAY NOT exceed 6 choices between them.

Allied detachments are NOT allowed in this event.

Option #1

• 1 HQ
• 0-1 Elites
• 2-4 Troops
• 0-1 Fast
• 0-1 Heavy
• 0-1 Fortification       
Option #2

• 1 HQ
• 0-2 Elites
• 2-4 Troops
• 0-1 Fast
• 0-1 Heavy
• 0 Fortifications       
Option #3

• 1 HQ
• 0-1 Elites
• 2-4 Troops
• 0-2 Fast
• 0-1 Heavy
• 0 Fortifications       
Option #4

• 1 HQ
• 0-1 Elites
• 2-4 Troops
• 0-1 Fast
• 0-2 Heavy
• 0 Fortifications       

Selected units that alter a Team Member’s Force Organization selections WILL affect all other detachments on the Team from the same codex. For example, a Space Marines Master of the Forge allows all detachments using Codex Space Marines to take Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts and Ironclad Dreadnoughts as Heavy Support choices as well as Elites choices.

All instances of Special/Unique/Named Characters must be unique. For example: a Team cannot field Abaddon the Despoiler twice. This also applies to upgrades to squads (e.g., Boss Snikrot, Sergeant Telion, the Changeling).

2. All models must follow “What You See Is What You Get” (WYSIWYG). All weapons, war gear, and so forth must be represented on the model.

3. Pictures of conversions or "counts as" models must be emailed to the Tournament Organizer unless they have previously been approved.

4. Allies of Convenience - For the purposes of this, team members are considered Allies of Convenience per the Warhammer 40,000 rule book with the following modifications:

• Battle Brothers: Codices denoted as Battle Brothers per the Allies Matrix chart are considered Battle Brothers for this Doubles Event and follow all the relevant rules and restrictions per the rule book. Teams comprised of two detachments from the same codex are also considered Battle Brothers with the following clarifications:

• Wargear and Special Abilities will benefit/affect both detachments in a team. For example, Vulcan’s special ability counting all Melta, Flamer, and Thunder Hammers, as master crafted would apply to any units purchased from Codex Space Marines, regardless of owner.

• Wargear and Special Abilities that affect your team's detachments DO NOT stack, unless specifically allowed by an army Codex or FAQ (e.g., a Coalition containing two Eldar Autarchs with the Master Strategist special rule can add +1 or +2 to Reserve rolls).

5. Warlord Traits - Each team will nominate a single Warlord with the following modifications and clarifications:
  • Your team's Warlord can be from either detachment, but is always the HQ choice character within that detachment with the highest Leadership. If several characters are tied for highest Leadership, you can choose among them as normal.

• At the start of each game, before deployment, select two tables.  Roll a die for each table.  Choose ONE of the two results as your Warlord Trait for that game.

• Per the rule book, Warlord Traits may only benefit Battle Brothers.

• If your team's Warlord is not on the table at the conclusion of a game (e.g., ongoing Reserves), that Warlord counts as being slain for the purposes of calculating Slay the Warlord.

6. Psychic Powers - At the start of each game, prior to deployment, players may choose to select the psychic powers listed in their Codex as normal OR swap them for a number of rolls on the psychic disciplines tables per the Warhammer 40,000 rule book. Unless stated otherwise, you MAY NOT mix and match Codex and rule book powers.

7. Forge World / Imperial Armour / Horrus Heresy units AND ARMY LISTS **ARE** allowed in this Doubles event, however each unit is considered unique (0-1, exception: troops) and may only be taken once per Team.

Super Heavies, Super Heavy Flyers, Gargantuan Creatures, Apocalypse Formations, and Strategic Assets are not allowed.

Players MUST have a hard copy of all Forge World / Imperial Armour / Horrus Heresy rules if they wish to field corresponding units / lists.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

8. HQ units that require a certain point level to be fielded do not have to abide by that restriction.

9. We will require that each player submits his army list to a Battleground Tournament Organizer on or before Monday, February 11th (roughly a week before the event). We ask that players email their lists to ChaseLaq@gmail.com as soon as they are finalized. We are going to do our best to check every list before the event begins.

10. If illegal units or other rules violations are found in a player’s army list, at a minimum, the models in violation will be removed from all subsequent play. In addition, tournament points may be deducted and/or award eligibility may be forfeited. If in doubt, please ask for clarification in advance from a Battleground Tournament Organizer.

11. Restrictions:

• This event will not use "Mysterious Terrain" (p.102-103).
       • This event will not use "Archotech Artefacts" (p 106).
       • This event will not use "Unique Terrain" (p. 107).
       • This event will not allow The Fortress of Redemption.

The scenarios we will be using for the event will be announced once they near completion.

HOW THE TOURNAMENT WORKS:

• Competitors will participate in three (3) games over the course of the day. In each game, you will play a scenario and record the outcome of the battle on your results sheet. Each round you will play a different opponent.

• Each round will last 2.5 hours. Players will have 15 minutes after the pairings have been posted to deploy their models before time for the round begins.  Players may begin playing as soon as they have finished deployment.

• In the first round, teams will be matched up randomly. After the first round, teams will be matched up according to current rankings in the tournament (based on the number of points they've scored) e.g., the team in first place will play the team in second place and so on. We will try our best not to pair teams that come to the event together or regularly play each other in the first round. If a team receives a BYE they will be awarded max points for all objectives but zero points for everything else.

• You will not play the same team twice.

• We will do our best to prevent a team from playing on the same table twice.

• The pairings for each round will be posted as soon as they are determined. Please be sure to arrive at your table ready to play right away.

• Slow playing will NOT be tolerated.  Players are expected to complete at least 4 rounds.  If you suspect your opponent is slow playing PLEASE notify a Battleground staff member as soon as possible as we can not do anything about alleged slow play after the fact.

• Each game will be played on a 4' x 6' board.

• Players will receive Results Sheets at the beginning of each round. Each results sheet must be filled in properly to ensure that match-ups and point totals are correct. Once Results Sheets are completed they are to be turned in at the counter so the scores can be entered into the computer.

BATTLES:

The SIXTH Edition Rulebook and all FAQs will be in use for all games and will be the definitive guide for all rules. The time limit for each game is 2 hours and 30 minutes. At the end of this time limit, the round will be called; players will need to finish the round as quickly as possible.

What You Need to Bring with You:
-Your (hopefully painted) miniatures
-At least THREE copies of your army list
-Rulebooks and any additional books you need
-Pen and paper
-Dice and templates
-Tape measure
-Something to transport your army from table to table

Store Credit Awards will be given out to:
Store credit is good for any product in the store and all subsequent events. It never expires and will be saved for you.

Best Generals
Second Best Generals
Third Best Generals
Fourth Best Generals (only awarded if the turnout is large)

Best Appearance - Army (individual)
Second Best Appearance - Army (individual)
Third Best Appearance - Army (individual)

Players Choice - The Players Choice award will go to the team that the others feel best reflects important aspects of the hobby.  Every team will score their opponents on sportsmanship, theme, appearance, and overall awesomeness.  **This award will be significant.**

Smokin' Boots - You got crushed... and you deserve an award for your epic failure.

A team may only win one award. The Best Appearance awards may go to any one player participating in the event, regardless of their finish / other awards.

• A note on the Appearance award - We will award the individual who we feel has the best looking army. We will use a scoring rubric that looks at painting, basing, display boards, and various other "extras" to determine the winner.

Please post any questions or comments here.  I'll do my best to get answers ASAP.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:29:15 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

King of the Elves

Re: [Abington MA] Battleground 40k Doubles Event - 2/16
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
2 things:

Abington 40K Event= OMFG!

7. Forge World / Imperial Armour / Horrus Heresy units AND ARMY LISTS **ARE** allowed in this Doubles event, however each unit is considered unique (0-1) and may only be taken once per Team.

Holy crap, SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:11:50 PM »
Chase, I would like to point out that while many forge world units are 40k appropriate, and are marked "40k approved", NO Horus Heresy units are. 

King of the Elves

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
Chase, I would like to point out that while many forge world units are 40k appropriate, and are marked "40k approved", NO Horus Heresy units are.

Makes scene fluff wise, but play-wise doesn't really make scene. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »

I know.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
ohhhhh.....k?  Why are you allowing them?  We're talking things that are not even vaguely balanced.  Flying landraiders.  Terminators riding jetbikes.  Sharks with laser beams.

Primarchs

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »
ohhhhh.....k?  Why are you allowing them?  We're talking things that are not even vaguely balanced.  Flying landraiders.  Terminators riding jetbikes.  Sharks with laser beams.

Primarchs

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:50 AM »
Heh.  I can't put in to words just how much I want to see a dual Primarch team!  Soooo gross.   :D
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:09:03 AM »
In a competitive setting where you're asked to bring 1000 points, what's wrong with them (Primarchs)?

The event is supposed to be crazy, goofy, and allow the Abington crowd to field some of the "off the beaten path" stuff they'd like to.

I think that most players would find it AWESOME to fight against a Primarch and I think the competitive / most skilled players will finish the day at the top tables regardless.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:14:24 AM by Chase »

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:27:06 AM »
Abington is a very different community. We want all the awesome stuff. If that's not cool with you, I think a singles event is coming up more that's more suited to you.
beep bop boop

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:23 AM »
The only rational thing to do here is (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »
Abington is a very different community. We want all the awesome stuff. If that's not cool with you, I think a singles event is coming up more that's more suited to you.

And so the trash talk between communities begins...  LOL I love it!!!
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »

Primarchs

Sounds like this may not be the event for you than Matt. Not all events have to be super balanced and fair even. It's doubles so should be fun and wacky. If chase was posting an 8 round invitational GT that is looking for the best possible player thy eliminates variables then the gripe would be 100% legit but that is not what's advertised. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm gonna play yet or not but if I do, I won't be upset of a primarch ruins my day.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
OOhh.... grrrrr.... wannna play... don't know if I can... grghhghg
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »

Primarchs

Sounds like this may not be the event for you than Matt. Not all events have to be super balanced and fair even. It's doubles so should be fun and wacky. If chase was posting an 8 round invitational GT that is looking for the best possible player thy eliminates variables then the gripe would be 100% legit but that is not what's advertised. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm gonna play yet or not but if I do, I won't be upset of a primarch ruins my day.

I am more concerned about GK lists ruining my day, TBH.