Author Topic: primer choices  (Read 3875 times)

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
primer choices
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »
Used GW primer for years but the cost is getting a bit out of control.  Has anyway used the Armory primer or know any good alternative primers mainly going to be used on plastic
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: primer choices
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »
I like Army Painter primer color primer (of course it is expensive)

the reds and greens and such go on great and provide a great priming base

be careful of the metallics though, they go on heavy and make a smooth surface which isn't the greatest to paint over

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
Krylon  Flat Black
Gw doesn't want you to know that their "army primer" is just black spray paint.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
I've used Armory for years. I would never use anything else.
beep bop boop

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
Me and paint cans don't mix so I've been using vallejo surface primer and an airbrush lately with results I'm happy with.

King of the Elves

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
I use 2 types of primer.

For my Ulthwe Eldar I use GW Black, it's expensive, but when I'm using that as my main base color, it's the darkest black I have seen. I also touch up the uncovered areas with the Imperial Black Primer

For my guardsmen I use a mix of Army Primer and GW. Just started using AP but I like it so far.

The GW stuff can get expensive, but I feel it's worth it. I just finished my first GW black primer that I bought a year ago (almost to the day) and that had primed about 1250 points of guard, 500 points of eldar, and 250 points of Wood Elves, 2000 points worth of models primed with 1 $15 can, worth it IMO

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
ive used both Armory and GW. Ive never used Krylon.

The only difference between the two I see is the finish it leaves. GW tends to be a Glossy smooth Finish where as Armor tends to be a Flat soft finish.

No matter what the primer ive had problems. Primer turning white, Primer fuzzing up, Primer getting all cracked and cakey. All can be avoided by shaking the can well, and make sure you give yourself a good distance when you spray dont apply thick coats. It also helps if your not priming when the humidity is high and the temp is cold. I had a prime booth that vented right out side so i could prime in the climate controlled workshop of my house.

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
Krylon is just a generic black spray paint you can get for $1 at home depot. Im telling you guys thats all you need! Save some money so you can buy more little plastic guys!

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 12:44:14 AM »
I used the P3 black primer when I started out. It seemed like it worked pretty good. Army painter products are also really good. All my army is painted up using army painter paints. I'm using a can of krylon black primer though. Seems like it works all right.
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
I use Army Painter if I want to do Deathwing (Skeleton Bone Primer) or Ork Planes (Dragon Red).

Other than that, Krylon White (most of my miniatures, especially D&D) or Black (Mostly 40K).  I have used a ton of primer of the past 15 years (Ral Partha, GW, Army Painter, etc), and for general stuff Krylon is the absolute best bang for the buck.  I feel the paint just "sticks" to it better.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:14 PM »
Krylon is just a generic black spray paint you can get for $1 at home depot. Im telling you guys thats all you need! Save some money so you can buy more little plastic guys!

Chris Scotti uses the same exact Flat Black Krylon Paint and I just switched over to it from Games Workshop Primer. It is the same exact if not better than GW brand. Chris Scotti has won a number of the 40k Best Painted at our tournaments so I think he has a good thing going with Krylon.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »
Me and paint cans don't mix so I've been using vallejo surface primer and an airbrush lately with results I'm happy with.

Doing the same. Not only do I get better results but primer costs went way down. Of course one needs to own an airbrush and compressor for this to be a viable option.

As for using Krylon over GW (or anything formulated for figure painting), as a professional painter I say go at your own risk. GW, Army Painter, and Flo-quil and so on, are finer primers that go on more smoothly. You can get really good results with Krylon, don't get me wrong and I have used it myself in the past, but it tends to leave a more porous surface which will require more of a basecoat while painting as the primer will "drink" more of the paint.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
I always prime white unless the model is going to be all black (ravenwing) or a separate piece needs to be black.

Kylon white all the way! There new mixture is really good the bottle says something along the lines of counts as two coats or some advertising shenanigan's. I use armory's black for black primer or home depot flat black if I need it ASAP. 
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
The only difference between the two I see is the finish it leaves. GW tends to be a Glossy smooth Finish where as Armor tends to be a Flat soft finish.

Armory tends to adhere better and faster.
beep bop boop

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »

Armory tends to adhere better and faster.

good to know, im almost out of primer so i think ills witch back to Armory