Author Topic: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations  (Read 17314 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/speculations-about-space-marine-6th-edition-codex/

From my Blog posting it here to see what you guys think. Any thoughts?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Re: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
I like the idea of more anti-air and flyers but where was the love when developing dark angels. Their AA is limited to flakk missile launchers at the cost of 25 points each or either of their crappy flyers that no one likes.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
I think Vanilla marines need a little Polish to stay up to par with the current Codecies. I think its very hard to play as Ultra Marines unless you take lots of Terminators or Sterngaurd. The named charecters that turn your chapter into their chapter are pretty much the only way to play competitively with Codex Space Marines.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:17 PM »
I expect instead of the current language of Kantor makes sternguard scoring it will instead get changed to kantor makes them troops to fall in line with the GK, DA way of doing things.

I've seen rumors of a new "suit" that is somewhere size wise in between terminators and dreadnoughts. I kind of expect this to be a Vanilla exclusive.

I would LOVE to see a new dreadnought variant, or at the very least make the Ironclad better

There are also the new rumors floating around of new Rhino variants so i expect to see those as well

I think it's a given that vanilla will have the same "special equipment options" that we saw in DA

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
shwnlyns: Ya I feel like Dark Angels kind of got shafted with the Anti-Air their flyer didn't really put a good dent against others.

Grand Master Steve: I agree I feel that infantry are too point expensive for what they do. Make Tactical the same as in Dark Angels and it gives you a ton more options to go with.

Phoenix: The Praetor Warmachine I know about it I know nothing of it supposed new unit may fit your suit rumor. I touched upon the special rules but a lot of Special Characters got introduced from 4th edition codex to 5th edition codex as well as a lot of changes to the ones that existed so I don't want to jump to any conclusions about what they might do atm. The rhino rumours are based around the Land Avenger stuff last I knew I doubt we will see any changes to Rhinos,Razorbacks, or Drop Pods since Dark Angels didn't get anything funky. The Ironclad is still awesome the best Dreadnought in the Game IMHO it just needs some finetuning to put it in a nice position now.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
I can't wait for my army to get shafted.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
Benjamin: If anything Matt Ward won't write the codex since he has a disdain for the Ultramarines.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »
All the 6th ed codexes are very solid.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
Honestly, I think vanilla SM are doing just fine right now, ATSKNF is best rule in the book, and Combat Tactics combos just ridiculously well with it.  Fall back out of charge range, regroup, and then shoot them back in the face?  Eldar or Tau are jealous of that trick. 

Oh, and they get 2 Flyers now, just cuz. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
Honestly, I think vanilla SM are doing just fine right now, ATSKNF is best rule in the book, and Combat Tactics combos just ridiculously well with it.  Fall back out of charge range, regroup, and then shoot them back in the face?  Eldar or Tau are jealous of that trick. 

Oh, and they get 2 Flyers now, just cuz.

Disagree. I have a miserable time using Ultra Marines because they lack abilities other modurn codecies have. The fliers were a help but In my experience they dont make that much of a difference.  Idf like D.A the pts cost were reduced to open up more options that would be a huge help in the very least.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
The main problem with them is they pay too much for heavy weapons.  Other than that, they're pretty great.

Tell me, do you use special characters that have an alternate to combat tactics?  Cuz Combat Tactics is pretty awesome. 

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
The problem with the current codex is the same with all the codexes that have not been updated. To be competition is one build one way. Just like Tyranids  you can build the list only so many ways to do any good. The update will give us some flexibility which will in turn make it a little more fun as well as competitive. This is a speculation about what I feel are definitive in the codex. Will we have 3 flyers I think so. Why with storm ravens included I do not see them being dropped out and that picture at the end of white dwarf is not a storm raven at least not a version we have seen. I believe we will see iron hands included., the salamanders chapter master, and the captain of the first company for ultra marines. Otherwise I have no idea what's games workshop is planning outside of how to get my money.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:10:07 PM by Loranus »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
Uhhh....masses of tac squads work

Bike troops work

Infiltrating Th/SS termies work

Heavy tank shooting works

Sternguard as scoring works

People LOVE techmarines now

Battle-Bruvah Sillynoah

• Heroic Tier Level 5
  • Alfa Legion, 11th company
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
I only own the Dark Angels Codex. do i need to aquire the Space Marine Codex as well?
Club Affiliation: The Alfa Legion
Where I play: Abington

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
No, they are separate armies Noah, only get the space marine book if you want to play them, or to just learn their rules... Or to bask in the awesomeness of space marines (the fluff can be pretty great!)

Can I inquire why tech marines are loved now?  I always liked 'em, but how else are people using them?