Author Topic: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations  (Read 17207 times)

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
Re: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
Thunderfire cannons come with Techmarines and are just menacingly good options for the cost.

Its the 1 omission from my DA codex that im peeved about.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 02:23:03 AM »
I never said Thunderfire Cannons are Bad and what I meant by is they are Hit and Miss with the army they come up against. We will see what happens with the new Codex. This going a little off topic about what it was originally about so.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
We will see what happens with the new Codex.

And there's your thread summary right there.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 08:26:57 AM »
I never said Thunderfire Cannons are Bad and what I meant by is they are Hit and Miss with the army they come up against. We will see what happens with the new Codex. This going a little off topic about what it was originally about so.

How?  Worst case it's 4 str 6 shots, which is always useful. 

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »
all i know is, Space marines really need an update soon

Tac squads= not so tactical and use up to many points for less than effective return due to newer armies getting more and more AP 3 weapons and newer armies getting more and more shooting.

Guard= orders for double or triple shots, enough flashlights more than brings down space marines
Greyknights= Can have Str 5 storm bolters plus twice as many heavy weapons as a tac squad
Dark eldar= poison weapons and lots of AP weapons, let alone more heavy weapons
CHoas= depending on dark gods, they are either faster, tougher or just plain better in melee than tac squads+ still can shoot
Dark angels= Cheaper and better options and if i remember, dont need to be a 10 man team to get a single heavy weapon

As for HQ's space marine codex is so far behind on normal and named characters. Their cost and effeicentcy for one is lacking compared to other armies. The same goes for a few of their units.

Assualt/vanguard marines= Just about no codex space marine player fields these any more because if you want jump back melee infitry, you just play blood angels

Terminators= not much played anymore either because now of better options in greyknights, space wolves and dark angels. They are still good, but just being a few points cheaper with nothing special compared to the 3 named before just doesnt drive a selling/playing want

Landspeeders= When was the last non-dark angel player you've seen use one? the reason is because they are to expensive and die to sneeze. Granted 6th edition gave them a cover save for moving, it more or less doesnt help from mass shooting and now with flyers to take up fast slots, whos going to use them?

Techmarines= Besides an thunderfire cannon, no one uses a normal tech marine with servitors

Tanks= rhinos and razor backs are still good for what they due, predators are a bit expensive and need to be kept in cover now, landraiders are not even worth taking. to expensive and with new 6th rules, 4 glances and its gone. Vindicators are still decent but nor widely played and then we have a whirlwind which just about no one uses

Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »
I agree with Jiraiya. Space Marines don't have a Niche right now to make you want to play them outside of fluff.

I learned something interesting and for those who actually read my blog post. I was wrong about that picture being a possible Land Avenger. I guess it has been confirmed that is a Forgeworld Thunderhawk model leaving speculation to what the Land Avenger could possibly be. I wouldn't put it past Games-workshop to make it a new type of Whirlwind that is Actually worth taking since they redid Chaos Dreadnoughts into Hellbrutes.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »
Here's what ETC Team America is bringing to Adpeticon next weekend:

Greg Sparks - Eldar / Dark Eldar
Alan Bajramovic - Necrons
Joe Cherry - Chaos Space Marines
Andrew Gonyo - Imperial Guard / Blood Angels
Tony Kopach - Space Marines / Imperial Guard
Brad Chester - Space Marines / Blood Angels
Jon Willingham - Doesn't know, but he likes Turtles

Coach: Mitch Tucker - Not playing
Assistant Coach: Brandon Vallee - Space Marines / Eldar
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 01:59:33 AM »
Ben Mohlie would kick your ass all day long with vanilla SM.  Thunderfire cannons, even, back when they were bad.   (Supposedly.)

I honestly believe thunderfire cannons are a little OP atm. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 02:37:55 AM »
Yeah, Ben did really well at a couple of our events with Codex: Space Marines.

I believe he played Salamanders.  He had some nice looking stuff too.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
Ben tabled my Dark Eldar in 4 turns once with his salamanders.  Granted, I was pretty new then, but still, it was much like being locked in a very tight vise. 

It seems like SM still have a niche and have access to some goodies other chapters don't get:  Vulcan, Cheap THSS termies, a librarian that automatically can take null zone / deep strike power, Thunderfire cannons, Storm Talons, etc.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
seems to me that Space Marines have some of the better flyer options out there with possibly another one on the way. Maybe air superiority will be Space Marines thing.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:37 PM »
Space marines are currently very, very underestimated.
beep bop boop

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
Space marines are currently very, very underestimated.

SHHHH, Don't tell anyone one!

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »
This topic got way off point from what it was originally about. It was about what would be in the new Codex. Now it has just turned into Bickering about how the old codex is suddenly super awesome now.

I wish Team USA the best with those lists.

Brad Chester won Adepticon Last year with GK so I think he has something up his sleeve with the Double Power Armor Army. I have a couple Ideas what he may be up to but we will see

Tony Kopach was playing Space Wolves last year. Also winner of 2011. Space Marine and IG are pretty solid I feel like it probably mech in design using templates everywhere.

And Brandon I think has stayed Constant with Space Marines I can't find much mention of his list for 2012 but I think he ran Space Marines with Bikes. I know he was tossing around an Idea of Space Marine and Eldar Jetbikes so I expect Khan and something like that from him.

I think the Space Marines can use an update to bring more options in to them. Yes they seem to be a lot more competitive than I believed but I feel like they do have some glaring issues to deal with right now. I won't be arguing it any further as of this point because it will turn toxic as most of the arguments do on the forum. If you like the original point of this post please keep up with the Blog I will be trying to keep my eyes out for new rumours and anything else I find interesting going on.

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 06:01:06 AM »
either way, im hoping GW will revive ultramarines to be playable again. Most people who play codex spacemarines play for vulcan, shrike or kantor and sometimes khan but very very few people go ultra marines, and then if they do, they dont use the named characters. What im hoping for is either lower point cost, or make characters like Calgar and cassius playable and with more feel.

I used tigerus during the last doubles tornament, for 230 points, he was decent but hes got no inv saves and only 2 wounds. I had to hide him in the back in cover to keep him alive to keep casting powers, and that just doesnt seem ultramariny to me.

Calgar, kinda sucks now as i think he looses to every named character in CC besides IMperal guard more or less due to he strikes last but doesnt have the saves to live. Normal armor is +3/+4 or terminator at +2/+5

and the rest besides sacarius and telion are just not worth it. So in my opinion, unless the rumors of the 1st company captain is true or they make ultramarine characters better, even with a new codex, its still just going to be for the other chapters that people are interested in
Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1