Author Topic: priming plastic  (Read 2864 times)

buddyzen

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • FIRE-MERCHANT
    • Email
priming plastic
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
hey guys its been a while since i have worked on my models i am goin to start paintin again but i am almost out of gamesworkshop primer ... is it ok to use regular spray paint that is like $10 cheaper lol
www.Fire-merchant.webs.com

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: priming plastic
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
It needs to be primer.  I only use GW stuff but the armory stuff is supposed to be pretty good.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
Armory is like half the price of GW and a million times better. I'd avoid the stuff you'd find at Home Depot. That's made to spray thick coats that would ruin detail on models.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:24:17 PM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

buddyzen

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • FIRE-MERCHANT
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »
i recently baught primer white color from ace hardware and i primed alot of space marines and it worked beautifully !!!! it was only like $5 for teh paint also
www.Fire-merchant.webs.com

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
Some of the paint primers available at the Auto Zone or Home Depot will give you reasonable results.  You can do a lot of research on the internet to figure out which ones are acceptable.  If you get into the habit of buying whichever spray primers, sooner or later you're going to get a brand that has larger flakes that expand upon drying, ruining your primer job, wasting your time, and forcing you to strip and start over.

I'm incredibly picky about the primers I purchase.  (I'm also the only person at Battlegrounds I know of who primes white!)  There's a real difference in performance even between such brands as GW and Armoury, but if you're not getting too obsessive then you don't have to be so uptight.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
I have been priming white for a while now.  Started with GW white on most of my nurgle troops then switched to Armory.  I must say, I'm happy with it.  So happy in fact, I bought some black armory to try out on other projects.

Also, armory primer seems like actual primer too.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »
I use Armory grey on somethings and I like there primers very nice.  I use GW black for my wolves because I like the smoothness of it.  But Armory is a very good brand.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
I use Floquil primers exclusively.  I've heard Testors primers aren't good at all.  Armory is good because it's easy to get (floquil is a major PITA).

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
Ive had a recent davistating appearence with GW Matt Varnish. The stuff either turned white or made some of the models look dusty. It was recomended I pick up testors Varnish.