Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Battleground's 35pt Steamroller - 5/18  (Read 5548 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
[Plainville MA] Battleground's 35pt Steamroller - 5/18
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »

Battleground Games & Hobbies - Plainville

Format: Singles (1v1) 35 Point Steamroller
Date: May 18th, 2013 a Saturday
Time: Please be here no later than 11:30am.  Set up at 11:45.  Dice roll no later than 12:00pm.
Entrance Fee:  $15.00 per person

Address:
25 Taunton Street
Plainville MA 02762

Parking is available on site.

Find us on Google Maps

Check out our Facebook Page

Please contact me at ChaseLaq@gmail.com or call the store to sign up if and only if you can commit to playing on May 18th.

Pre-registration is encouraged.

RULES OVERVIEW FOR WARMACHINE / HORDES STEAMROLLER TOURNAMENT

The comprehensive rules and scenario packet can be found here.  It is recommended that players read through the rules portion of the packet.

The following changes will be made:

Turn Length will increase from 7 minutes to 8 minutes.
Extension Length will increase from 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
The scenario selection may or may not follow the guidelines presented in the packet.

Rule Books:
The Warmachine Prime MkII and Hordes Primal MkII Rules will be used, as well as all appropriate faction books and the Colossal and Gargantuan supplements.

MODELS AND POINTS:

Each player must bring an army consisting of 35 points or fewer.  Each player is allowed to use one of the two 35 point lists they've chosen in each game they play.

HOW THE TOURNAMENT WORKS:

• Competitors will participate in a number of games over the course of the day based on attendance (probably 4). In each game, you will play a scenario and record the outcome of the battle on your Tournament Record Sheet. Each round you will play a different opponent.

• In the first round, players will be matched up randomly. After the first round, players will be
matched up according to current rankings in the tournament (e.g., the player in first place will
play the player in second place and so on). We will try our best not to pair players that come to the event together in the first round.  We will also try not to pair the same faction against itself if at all possible. If a player receives a BYE they will be awarded the points detailed in the packet above.

• You will not play the same person twice.

• The pairings for each round will be announced as soon as they are determined. Please be sure to
arrive at your table ready to play right away. We ask that each player be conscious of the
time and that you play at a regular and steady pace to complete the game. Anyone found slow
playing or deliberately stalling for any reason will be penalized.

• Each game will be played on a 4' x 4' board.

• Players will receive Tournament Record Sheets at the beginning of each round. Each results sheet must be filled in properly to ensure that match-ups and point totals are correct. Once Record Sheets are completed they are to be turned in at the counter so the scores can be entered into the computer.

The scenario packet can be found here.

What You Need to Bring with You:
-Your (hopefully painted) miniatures
-At least two copies of your army list(s)
-Rulebooks and any additional books you need
-Paper and pencil or marker
-Cards for the models in your list
-Dice and templates
-Tape measure
-Something to transport your army from table to table

Coins and/or Store Credit Awards will be given out to:
Store credit is good for any product in the store and all subsequent events.  It never expires and will be saved for you if unspent.

Best General (Coin, Store Credit)
Second Best General (Coin, Store Credit)
Third Best General (Coin, Store Credit if turn out is high)
Best Appearance (Store Credit)

Please post any questions or comments here.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

kialindo

• Live Life, Taste Death
Re: [Plainville MA] Battleground's 35pt Steamroller - 5/18
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
I have some painting to do .....

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »
This is coming up this weekend.  Please let me know if you're even planning to come.  A semi-accurate head count would be awesome.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
Also, if anyone has a Phoenix that they're up for lending a new player for the event we'll be plus one player.

Please let me know.

Setekh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
Aww, wish I could make it. For the future, though, I have a question: is War Room considered to be a valid replacement for physical lists and cards?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
At this point, no.  We'd like people to have the cards on hand for a variety of reasons.

Khornagaunt

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
Hey, I heard a rumor that some scenarios might have the killbox artifice removed. Is this true? I read about the changes to turn length and extensions, which I think is fine. But removing killbox could unhinge some scenarios.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
It will not be removed, but it will be changed from 14" from each table edge to 12".

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Scenarios are likely to be:

Into the Breach
Fire Support
Supply + Demand
Close Quarters

Kill box will be "enlarged" such that it's 12" from each table edge instead of 14" where it applies.

Khornagaunt

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
Ahhh. Ok. Cool. I screwed myself over last week by forgetting to move 1 of 3 of my witch coven models into the killbox. Hopefully 12' will help protect against that.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
I've been told that it's either impossible, almost impossible, or just plain stupid to get certain casters into the box at 14".  Having to run and not cast spells just so you don't give up 2CP is dumb.  Karchev just giving them up because he "has to" is dumb too.

Obviously this is geared to be a little "looser" than a traditional SR so I figured this change was okay.

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
I've been told that it's either impossible, almost impossible, or just plain stupid to get certain casters into the box at 14".  Having to run and not cast spells just so you don't give up 2CP is dumb.  Karchev just giving them up because he "has to" is dumb too.

This is wrong no caster needs to run to make it out the kill box in two turns.  The slowest casters in the game have movement 4, so with a 7 inch deployment at most they will have to charge one turn to clear a 14" kill box; and they only has to charge because if they are on a medium base or larger and going first.  The point of the 14'" kill box it allow caster to be engaged and not sit back.

Karchev can also clear the killbox by using his Arcantrik Turbine ability.
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
They could also just advance each turn right? Since I've started playing the scenarios this year, I haven't had any real issue with pSeverius and these killboxes.

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
The 12" vs 14" only matter for Dominar Rasheth, when he is going first; as he has to run one of the first two turns, because he cannot charge.  Carnivore is the only spell he would want to cast on his first turn, and is prevented from casting.
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

This is wrong no caster needs to run to make it out the kill box in two turns.  The slowest casters in the game have movement 4, so with a 7 inch deployment at most they will have to charge one turn to clear a 14" kill box; and they only has to charge because if they are on a medium base or larger and going first.  The point of the 14'" kill box it allow caster to be engaged and not sit back.

Karchev can also clear the killbox by using his Arcantrik Turbine ability.

I don't know the first thing about Warmachine or Hordes but the internet tells me that Charge is +3 SPD.  It also seems to imply that is has to move to a spot where it can attack it's target.  The part about attacking is irrelevant.  7" deploy (I assume this means the front edge of the base is at most 7" into the table) + 4" (move) + 3" (charge) = 14"

This means that the front edge of his base will be touching the 14" line and not "entirely within."

Run says the model can move double it's speed.  7" (deploy) + 4" (move) + 4" (run) = edge of base at 15" line.  Since we're talking about Karchev, this STILL won't get him "entirely within" the kill box.

About Arcantrik Turbine, I'm being told if he uses this at the beginning of the activation he can't also run.  Using this puts his move to 6", which definitely doesn't doesn't get him into the kill box.

What's being missed?  I was told last night that Karchev flat out CAN NOT make it into the 14" kill box by a player that I have reason to believe knows what he's talking about.

Edit:  The player mentioning this to me must be talking about getting him entirely within the box on the first turn.  Maybe he's not aware that he's got until the end of his second turn to get him in there.

Either way the kill box size has been changed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:39:55 PM by Chase »