Author Topic: Minitaire Airbrush Paints  (Read 2929 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Minitaire Airbrush Paints
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
Has Anyone used them I heard really good reviews for them but am Hesitant to buy a Bottle because I can not find a Conversion chart for other Companies.

If anyone happens to know what the Equivalent for Snot Green/Warpstone Glow would be it would be very appreciated if you let me know.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Re: Minitaire Airbrush Paints
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »
I've been trying to find somewhere that carries this paint so I can try it.
Sorry I can't help with the conversion

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »
For air brush paints I like to use Vallejo Air; I also like there regular paints also, though yo0u will need to water it down or use air brush medium.  I believe Abington plans on carrying Vallejo soon.
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
It is ready to come in from what I hear.  They can order it for you either way right now.
Tiger's Den founding member

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:32:51 AM »
The Minitaire stuff is truly excellent.  First of all, from a sheer economic standpoint, the volume of paint you get, plus the fact you can get the stuff half off on Amazon (with shipping delays, yes) means that you're getting roughly 10-12x as much paint per dollar as compared to almost any other option.

For airbrushing, Minitaire is excellent.  First of all, while I'm a fan of the model air paints, they don't have a great set of colors for wargames painting.  They tend to have a lot of stuff appropriate for scale tanks and such.  Minitaire has a wide range of colors across the entire spectrum.  In addition, the paints are consistent in viscosity across the line.  The same cannot be said for VMA (I've had to thin some of the colors dramatically).  The Metallics leave a little to be desired, more like glitter+color (similar to GW paint) than the IMO far superior VMA metallics.  The Ghost Tints are fantastic, a great new tool for doing various things (OSL, shading, blending, etc.).  The varnishes are also excellent, the first ones I've had much luck with spraying.

If you want to check stuff out, I'm around on Thursdays.
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
Anyone know a good airbrush and compressor that won't cost me $400? I really want to airbrush my vehicles and base coat my troops but I'm trying to stay on the cheaper side but it's not worth it if the airbrush itself isn't quality and provides crappy results.

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »
What I did is wait for 50% off coupons from Michael's and picked up a Patriot 105 and badger compressor.
Ended up with a setup for a decent price

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »
I had gotten my Compressor off E-bay for like 30$ and like Randl I bought my Airbrush using a Michael's 50% off Coupon. I have a Badger 350.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
Anyone heard of or use Master airbrushes or compressors, found a good deal on amazon for a kit including a dual action gravity fed airbrush and 1/6 hp compressor for $90, wondering if its worth it.

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
Anyone heard of or use Master airbrushes or compressors, found a good deal on amazon for a kit including a dual action gravity fed airbrush and 1/6 hp compressor for $90, wondering if its worth it.

The Masters airbrushes are clones of IWATA  type AB's and are decent if you are using them with a "disposable" mind set.  if they clog and you cannot quickly clear it they can break very quickly.   they are a good deal for the price, but they are NOT a good choice for a long term purchase.

ALL AB compressors that have a water trap, and a air reservoir tank are decent.   what will vary is how noisy they are and how often they will need to cycle as you paint.