Author Topic: Lucky 13  (Read 34871 times)

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
Re: Lucky 13
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
lol.

Well Alan, could you inform the rest of us on the why the players agreed to play the pad for that game.  Then we can see if we can come up with a majority consensus on what we should do if the situation arose again.  I personally would like to hammer out all the arguement s I can about units and void shields now prior to having to deal with it in a game of my own in the near future.

I assume you guys were treating the pad as the main objective?

Essentially, we treated it as a non destructible building with a void sheild, for the reasons stated earlier. No book and no model and the game started off very relaxed. The mission brief makes the pad an objective that's to be captured give no guidance on stats of the Pad beyond the shield. So we treated it as we do with most terrain. Here it is take it.

It worked well I think and should have served as the focus for a major assault in the game, something that just failed to materialize... Oh well.
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »

Also you fire 3 las cannons at a void shield and 3 hit with 2 breaking the void shields AV, first one destroys the void shield, the second one hits the armor.  Think of it like assigning wounds to different models in a unit and BAM you are set

Sorry Rick that doesn't work assigning wounds to models in a unit means you always hit both the vehicle and the shield. I look at it more like engaging a vehicle. You can kill hit the vehicle with 10 shots, all 10 hit even though only one is needed. none hit the troops bailing out. The next unit to shoot can in fact hit the troops.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
hmmm, I'm still going with the offical stand point of units should not benifit from void shields.  Basically, without the objective being destructable its no longer attacked like a vehicle/bunker.  Which means the units on or near it do not count as being inside of it during the attack. 

you would have been just better off going with the force field generator asset attached to the pad.  All units then receive a 4+ invulnerable save and some counter becomes the generator on the pad.  Therefore, you don't lose the objective and the units still benifit.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »

you would have been just better off going with the force field generator asset attached to the pad.  All units then receive a 4+ invulnerable save and some counter becomes the generator on the pad.  Therefore, you don't lose the objective and the units still benifit.

Funny enough if you just used it as the planetstrike landing pad with the added caveat that it could not be blowed up, you would have your 5+ invuln and no arguing would take place.

Also Kevin dont give away my sekretz!

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »
Ok sorry to be like a week late on this, but i've been baking like a potato working this week and havn't had time to comment , or fully read each little detail. I am not 100% on some of these rules, but I can add some details that may be needed.

According to the scenario rule for this chapter:

The landing pad is designated as the Prime Landing Zone and counts as an objective. As such it is protected frin enemy ranged attacks by a Void Shield( as per Apoc. pg 96. ) Count the landing pad as having 1 Structure point for purpses of rolling to restore the sheild. 

If the Valkerie lands it becomes a Vital Objective(2) while it's landed, for the defenders.

If the attacking forces succeed in taking and controling (not destroying) the landing pad. they count it as a Vital Objective. If the attackers destroy the Valkerie with the intel, they count it as a Vital objective.
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »

Funny enough if you just used it as the planetstrike landing pad with the added caveat that it could not be blowed up, you would have your 5+ invuln and no arguing would take place.

Actually, it was defined last week as having a wall around the landing pad, in addition to the void shield.  The wall provided a 4+ invuln, but it had to be lowered in order to land the flyer. 

In the haste to get the flyer on the ground before getting hit by ack ack, the wall wasn't taken down before the flyer model was placed on the pad.  I'm also not sure, if the center of the orbital bombardment circles are all inside the wall, if the wall should have provided any cover for stuff inside the circle of the wall.  It seemed prudent not to open these discussions, however.  I just played on.  I doubt we'll see moving walls again, but if anyone has opinions on orbital bombardments centered on skyshields, it might be nice.  That could certainly happen again.

I'd recommend keeping it simple in the future.  Simple, or more carefully defined.  Simple would be simpler.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »

Actually, it was defined last week as having a wall around the landing pad, in addition to the void shield.  The wall provided a 4+ invuln, but it had to be lowered in order to land the flyer. 

In the haste to get the flyer on the ground before getting hit by ack ack, the wall wasn't taken down before the flyer model was placed on the pad.  I'm also not sure, if the center of the orbital bombardment circles are all inside the wall, if the wall should have provided any cover for stuff inside the circle of the wall.  It seemed prudent not to open these discussions, however.  I just played on.  I doubt we'll see moving walls again, but if anyone has opinions on orbital bombardments centered on skyshields, it might be nice.  That could certainly happen again.

I'd recommend keeping it simple in the future.  Simple, or more carefully defined.  Simple would be simpler.

I do believe you memory is clouded again.  We talked about having the walls come down to allow troops off getting valks to work as they do in planet strike, but no book was available and it was left as a 4+ cover that never came down because we didn't try to land troops there.

I'm 15 mins away from a margarita, time to go get the blender fired up. .

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
Alright I have some apologies to say. Folks I've been working hard and way too tired to head in and take control of all this. Sorry.

I think the Lucky 13 campaign is on chapter 4 now. Depsit afew let's just say "disagreements" I'd have to say that Chapter 3 was Imperial victory. Please correct me if wrong on this. I'll be sending in the results this weekend regaurdless. They (GW) don't really say when to send in results.

Let's get chapter 4 going on a battle sometime soon. I read this scenario and Bastions from the Planetstrike book are called for.  I personally don't have one.

Chapter 5: Rolling Thunder - September 26th, 2009

Also I wanted to know what people thought of a terrian building event? I've recieved afew ideas about snow/ice  type of markers/terrian. Any ideas of cheap, or free resources, or what people would like?
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »

Also you fire 3 las cannons at a void shield and 3 hit with 2 breaking the void shields AV, first one destroys the void shield, the second one hits the armor.  Think of it like assigning wounds to different models in a unit and BAM you are set

Sorry Rick that doesn't work assigning wounds to models in a unit means you always hit both the vehicle and the shield. I look at it more like engaging a vehicle. You can kill hit the vehicle with 10 shots, all 10 hit even though only one is needed. none hit the troops bailing out. The next unit to shoot can in fact hit the troops.

Not a great match, as the vehicle and troops are different units.  A void shield is a bit of wargear.  Thus, the Dark Eldar shadow fields seems to me to be the better match.

Scenario 4 is indeed up, The Tables Turn.  http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m420114a_Lucky13sChapter4Scenario.pdf  It is refrencing Planetstrike, including Firestorm, bastions and drop bastions.  One might want to have a copy of the book available.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:32:48 PM by blantyr »