Author Topic: Foam rubber casting tips?  (Read 2481 times)

andalucien

• God
Foam rubber casting tips?
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »
Hey guys, I'm in early stages of working on a display board, and I'm realizing some pieces of it are repetitive and could benefit from casting.  Anybody done any foam rubber casting for wargaming terrain / props?

My current plan is...
1) sculpt repetitive piece out of Sculpey
2) bake sculpey to "freeze" / harden it
3) cast liquid silicone mold by just pouring it around the clay piece in a container
4) Make foam rubber parts in silicone mold.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:34:15 PM by andalucien »
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Re: Foam rubber casting tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:41:47 AM »
That sounds about right.   Not sure if foam rubber is what you want.  But it could be.   Does the part need to flex?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »
Thanks :)  Awaiting delivery of various supplies now...  foam more because it will be large, and i'd like to be carry this thing around and be able to drop this thing and not worry too much about breaking it.  I think that too much solid resin would be really heavy.
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
What would be the first material that comes to your mind Sam if you wanted something voluminous?

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
Urethane foamed resin.   Smoothon make a couple good ones.   foam rubber tends to be at least as heavy as resin if not heavier.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
Hmm, thanks Sam, I'll give that a try.

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »
Hmm, thanks Sam, I'll give that a try.

There is also a Smooth-ON distributor located in Brighton.   (reynolds advanced materials)  They will gladly help with any questions you have.   they are ALL  very experienced folks in dealing with all kinds of different materials, and techniques.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
I lold at your new club name Matt