Author Topic: New Mordheim League.....  (Read 14037 times)

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
Re: New Mordheim League.....
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
hey kevin, can anyone in my possesed warband use ranged weapons like the blunderbus or repeating crossbow? is so can i wield any melee weapons with that?
Dave- "stop shooting me and get over here so i can kill you!!!"

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 02:23:56 AM »
sadly no,  The only weapons a model can use are those they have access to through their armory.  So if you found a weapon after a game that was not one listed in your starting warband equipment your guys would not know how to use it, unless they took a skill like weapons expert.

A model is allowed to have the following, 2 ranged weapons (but you may only fire one in your shooting phase) 2 melee weapons, and any armor.  The rules for what you wield are, you have two hands (barring mutations) so you may hold one weapon/shield in it.  So, if you had a human with: a bow, pistol, mace, sword, shield, and light armor.  He can:
1) Chose to shoot with either the bow or handgun in the shooting phase.
2) Fight with 2 attacks in combat ( one mace and one sword) and have a 6+ armor save from the light armor.  Or, you could choose to make one attack with either weapon and use the shield in the off hand.  This gives you a 5+ armor save. 

Make sense?  I know what guys are allowed to take for weapons gets confusing because you can buy stuff not in your armory after any game.  But you have to think that your guys just don't know how to use the weapons.

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 03:14:22 AM »
Allright. After being there on wednesday I've gotten curious. Anyone feel like playing a game? I get my schedule on saturday and Will let you all know what I have free. I've been slowly getting a dwarf team up and running. As anyone who's played fantasy with me knows. Free wins.
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
Due to some bad decisions when I started the warband I'm considering scrapping it and starting a new one.  Is that allowed, and if so what are the rules?
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2009, 09:17:38 PM »
it is allowed, basically you just start over with 500 gold.  You'll just be at a disadvantage compared to more advanced teams.  But you have already faced that.

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 11:51:47 PM »
Im up for a game with anyone on wednesday ill be there a lil early even. But im not sure possesed is really all i thought it was, i think i may go to dwarves if this week dont go so good. Can i do that and use dwarves i have from the dnd minis game and save 30 dollars

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 02:22:41 AM »
yes, just as long as your able to have enough different models so your opponent can tell the difference between your heroes and the different henchmen groups.

If your having any trouble with the possessed let me know, I've been using them for a while and maybe I can give you a few helpful hints.  But, like I mentioned last week the cult is a funny army to start with.  Most of the time when you are trying to make a mutant or possessed you find your spending too much on the one model, or not enough and always feel like you could have made them soo much better with a few more gold. 

;)

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »
And the fact that one dwarf can make you rout before you get near close combat and you wana break someones legs haha. I gotta see the dwarves, i like thhe fear guy billy had that good in melee like possesed but can equip and shoot. Plus whatever the hell an engineer does it shoots shit good haha. Just let me know the different kinds of dwarves i need like(2 with guns, 5 warriors, 2 hero warriors, and a wizard etc) or just help me get close enough to smack something, thanks dude!

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 01:20:27 PM »
Well your experiences being on the bad end of a dwarf fight are more an example of a new warband taking underdog vs an experienced warband.  If you fought the same band when you were both closer in level I bet you would have fought that the speed and power of your warband would have been more apparent compared to the shooting and toughness of the dwarfs.

The dwarfs in their own right are tuff to start, the crossbows are a move or shoot weapon.  Add that to their slow speed and they don't get as many good shots as you may think.  Their henchmen and heroes are also not as cheap so you end up with just as small a warband as the  possessed.  Its all in their rules.

Dave G.

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
Hey this is tribalgooseeb/vikingwarrior. I couldnt get into my account so i made a new one. I think i just need to learn more about my options in combat like how to charge and how i determine what i need to roll for stuff. Also i forgot that i leveled up a mutant but couldnt find anywhere in the book the pit thing i go to or how i can become a possesed. Also my brethren is a hero and it says i get 2 skills my heroes can take. Is that any that any hero could take or a specific type of hero?

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
you can only send the magister or a mutant to the pit.  But, bear in mind that if you do that there is a good chance nothing can happen or on a double 1 they die.  You might want to look at taking some skills for them first.  Sprint triples your run/charge and is always a good one to take to start out.  Strike to injure is a +1 to all injury rolls, meaning you kill someone on a 4,5,6 instead of just a 5,6.

when one of your henchman becomes a hero your alllowed to two of any skills groups allowed to your heroes.  So you can give them access to combat, strength, acedemic, speed skills.  No one in the cult can take shooting so the new hero can not choose that as a skills list to take from.

Alot of this game is playing on the strengths of a group, for you its trying to get your possessed or mutants into combat before they get shot to death.  You can take the dodge skill with most of your heroes, this gives you a 5+ before armor saves to avoid being shot.  Also skills like sprint and leap give you a farther charge range.  Its really just something you only learn from playing a few games.  I wouldn't give up on the army after only one or two games, give your units a chance to level up and see if they can become some real monsters.

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2009, 12:45:50 AM »
how exactly does the pit work anyways and what are the rewards and risks?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
how exactly does the pit work anyways and what are the rewards and risks?

Its all in the rulebook.
beep bop boop

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »
can somebody print one out for me for this wednesday and ill pay for the paper i dont own a computer i do all this through my phone

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »
I have the rules for it printed out in my folder that I bring with me, and keep meaning to leave down there.

basically it works as follows.  When a mutant or magister levels up and rolls a new skill result, you may instead send them to the pit to request the shadowlords favor.  You roll 2d6 and consult the chart that follows

2: The character is eaten by crazed deamons living in the pit
3-6: Your prayers are ignored, the character gets nothing from this trip. (Basically you get nothing for this roll and as such get nothing for that level.  But at least your guy is still alive)
7-8: Free mutation, you roll another d6 on a 1 your character losses one point from one of its characteristics. (Ex. loss one point of Speed or Strength, your choice.)  If you roll a 2-5 you may pick a free mutation to give the character from the mutations list.
9-10: Chaos Armor, the character's skin becomes like armor giving it a 4+ armor save that can be combined with shields and does not affect the character's ability to move or cast spells.
11: Demon Weapon, your pick the way the weapon looks but it does not have any of the abilities of the type of weapon it just looks like it.  This weapon gives the user +1 Strength and +1 to hit in close combat.
12: Possessed. the character becomes twisted by chaos, gaining +1 Weapon Skill, +1 Strength, +1 Attacks, and +1 wounds.  This does not count towards the models racial maximum in those stats, also the model losses D3 skills and may no longer use weapons or armor.  Except the model may use deamon weapons and chaos armor.

The benifits can be great.  Would I risk a good magister on them? Probably not when you can get a new spell or lower the difficulty of one you already have.  As for mutants, well early on these are great but if one gets really good and then dies in the pit you'll be kickin your own ass for that one.