Author Topic: New Mordheim League.....  (Read 14031 times)

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
Re: New Mordheim League.....
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
Hi ive been looking into playing mordheim for a while but have no minis or rulebooks etc. I need to play. However i have tons of free time to learn fast and i know a few people who play (billy + steve mostly). I was wondering what i need to play and keep up with you guys and if i could join in your or another game. If you could can you post a decent melee/warrior warband and the dollar value itd cost to buy. Id love to play but i have a max spending limit of $75. Please let me know if i can play and some ideas. Thank you very much!
Dave- "stop shooting me and get over here so i can kill you!!!"

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »
Mordheim is really easy to get into, quick to learn.  There are some advanced rules that take a while to pick up on, like diving off buildings to charge but not really a common tactic. 

Warbands are easy to put together price wise, you shouldn't need to spend anywhere near $75.  If you can come down Wed that is when we are "offically" meeting and we can show you the basics.

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
Awesome thanks! what time? I usually favor big weapons and the heaviest of armor in melee if you know a good warband i could use for that could you let me know before wednesday how much they would cost please? If 75 is a lot to spend is should be all set to purchase them at battlegrounds wednesday. Thank you very much jester

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
well to be honest most of the warbands have access to heavy armor, its just expensive.  So what type of army do you like??  Chaos worshippers, Righteous Nuns, Ratmen, dwarves, etc.

Yea, buying the warband is fairly easy too, you can just pick up some fantasy mini's and convert them as needed or you can order the actual warband mini's in.  The warbands run you about 45 bucks and model count varies on the team.  I suggest going with a conversion team.

Usually we try to set the general time for between 5-6 and then are there till the store closes or people have to leave.

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Ok dwarves sounds about my thing. I read on wikipedia that theres official minis for the game though? I dont really care just whatevers at battlegrounds that i can buy then and there is fine. Or is it like dnd where any mini is good and theres a character sheet? I thought it was like a minis game that what you buy has its own stats? Is 60 enough?

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Ok so ive checked out my stuff online. I believe i like dwarves, witch hunters, or possesed/chaos? Are these sold at battlegrounds? And do i need a book? It says theres one i need to know what equipment costs and stuff. So how much would one of those warbands and everything else i need to play cost?

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »
there is a rule book but it is one you would get offline, off the gw website.  But we have copies floating around the store.  As for the type of game, its a minis game, just you gain experience and level up your minis to gain new abilities.

For minis you can order an actual warband like I said before they are around 45 bucks.  But the better option is to pick the band you like and find the minis in the warhammer fantasy range.  Like to start a Beastman warband you could buy a beastman regiment with 12 gors and 8 ungors, this gives you a bunch of models to construct your starting force with and its only 35 bucks.

As for the bands you have listed I can list some of their strengths and weaknesses to help you kind of narrow you choices.  The Dwarfs are hardy, the have a above average starting toughness and specialize in shooting in that their engineer can increase the range of their weapons.  The down side is that they are really slow and I feel they end up with a low starting warband size due to cost of equipment and forces.

The witch hunters well they are a human warband that excels at hunting wizards, in game terms they just hit them easier.  But their real strength is the mix of access to the prayers of sigmar and a rather diverse henchman selection.  Weakness well the ted to not excel in anything of importance to start like many other warbands.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »
Cult of the possessed and Carnival of Chaos are you chaotic forces.

Cult is good at close combat, their possessed ( part human part demon monsters) are fairly strong early game and both them and the mutants have access to mutations.  This offers many options, maybe too many.  This also makes them get expensive really quickly, as a result they tend to start off with fewer stronger models.  The cult also lacks alot in the shooting department.

The carnival is a nurgle based force, less options but they still pack a punch.  They have access to actual demons in the game, sadly their henchmen while very powerful can not gain experience and therefor never get any better as the warband progresses.  They do get cultist henchmen which can gain experience but many player go with the demons.

Its kind of hard to really explain without going too into the rules, the best would be to come down on wed around 5 and we can sit down and go over it all, maybe even get a practice game in before you comit to buying anything.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
Is it too late to get into this?
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
week 2 starts tomorrow so it shouldn't be too late. Some people you play may have advanced warbands but if you survive you get more xp.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
ok sign me up!
I have Human Mercenaries, Marionburgers.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
ok, I'd be careful with challenging any of the more promoted warbands, ya you'd get underdog points but you don't wanna get curb stomped your first game either.

VikingWarrior

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 02:56:13 AM »
I went to the store and checked out the rulebooks. I decided on ordering the basic cult of possesed warband which should be ready for next game. Only problem is i start college sept 8th and i have a class at 630-930. So is it ok if i play in the friday game i saw people playing? I thought they were a part of your league (maybe not, billy, steve, and cookie etc) ill be coming today to learn and watch a lil bit of the gameplay.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
Curb Stomped?  But thats what hencmen are for.  I figure if the hencmen are getting it with out lube I'll just embrace that most noble of pirate traditions.  Fight, to run away.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
One of the things you will find out Ron is that your henchmen will more than likely end up being WAY better than some of your heroes or all of your heroes. I'm still surprised that my assasin is still alive and unhurt.