Author Topic: Weiss Schwarz -- Bi-Weekly Tournaments at Plainville Starting 2/28!  (Read 2767 times)

Raging Mage

• It's Fireball time!
(Click here to scroll down for info about the new bi-weekly tournaments at Plainville)

In the interest of putting my first post to good use, I wanted to share a quick announcement! (My name is Eric and you might have seen me once or twice at the Plainville shop last week. Hi there!)

Do you like anime? How about anime *and* card games? This has already been mentioned on Facebook and in last week's store newsletter, but I'll be visiting the Plainville store each Saturday starting at 6 PM to demo Weiss Schwarz, an anime-themed card game produced by Bushiroad in Japan. Weiss Schwarz features a wide variety of characters and titles, all battling for supremacy on the stage. Almost a dozen series/sets have already been released in English, and more are on the way soon!

The first demo is this Saturday (11/29) starting at 6 PM, so come join in on the fun and lead your favorite characters to victory! (It's not listed on the store website or calendar yet, so take note.)

All English trial decks released by Bushiroad will be available to borrow for the demo nights (and I believe Chase is planning to have at least some of the below decks available for purchase--correct me if I'm wrong!)

• Fate/Zero
  • Sword Art Online
  • Hatsune Miku Project DIVA f
  • Bakemonogatari
  • Kill la Kill
  • Persona 4
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Love Live!
  • Angel Beats!

If you already have your own deck to play, bring it along! The demo nights will mostly be focused on teaching the game to new players, but experienced players are also wanted and welcome. Come share your game knowledge and help newer players learn!

Feel free to reply to this post with any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer promptly. I can also be reached on Facebook (my name should be visible there since I replied to the FB announcement). See you on Saturday! d(^_^)b

What? You're super-excited to learn the game and you can't wait until Saturday? o_O

OK, I've got you covered. Here's a quick 20-minute video from a couple of British players that does a great job of introducing the game basics. It's a bit rapid-fire, but it'll give you a nice head-start before the first demo night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAZf0rcysU

P.S. It's Thanksgiving, so how about some quick "thank-you" messages? Here are shout-outs to Chase (for being so supportive and opening the doors to WS at Plainville) and Carl over at Abington (for laying the groundwork for WS at Battleground long before I came around). You've both made my work so much easier. Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:08:19 PM by Raging Mage »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Weiss Schwarz Nights - Starting This Saturday Night (11/29) at Plainville!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »
Should be a fairly good turnout.  I know there's gst a fair amount of buzz among the PV regulars.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Raging Mage

• It's Fireball time!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
Thanks to everyone who turned out for tonight's event! You guys and gals definitely put me (and all my trial decks) to work tonight. Here's hoping you enjoyed playing the game as much as I enjoyed explaining how it works.  ;)

If anything in the game rules wasn't clear (we kinda went fast and I ran around trying to help everyone!), reply here or send me a Facebook message. I'll either have a ready answer for you or I'll do some research to get a proper answer. I also left some handouts at the Plainville shop listing some recommended online resources if you want to check those out on your own.

For now, I'm planning to visit each Saturday at the same time (starting at 6 PM) for more Weiss Schwarz demos and games, so I hope to see you again soon!

Raging Mage

• It's Fireball time!
Just a quick reminder for forum visitors that these events are still running every Saturday night. Be there or be, well... you know. 8)

I think we're averaging about 5 players per week (with several different faces each time). If we can consistently field at least 8 per week, I'd love to start thinking about weekly tournaments at Plainville, but we're not there yet. For now, we still have casual play and demos each week, so come support us if you can (and prove your favorite anime series/character is boss!)

Raging Mage

• It's Fireball time!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
So... remember when I said we were thinking about Weiss Schwarz tournaments at Plainville? Guess what?
We're not just thinking about them anymore.  8)

Weiss Schwarz Bi-Weekly Tournaments are coming to Plainville

Starting on Saturday 2/28, we'll have bi-weekly tournaments on Saturdays at 6 PM. Here are some of the details:
  • Format: Swiss, Neo-Standard (each deck must be constructed entirely from one anime series)
  • Language: English only (we might add Japanese later on)
  • Entry fee: $5 (to allow for prize support)
Starting in April, we'll have monthly promo cards to offer as well. \o/

Our bi-weekly tournament dates should eventually be listed here (starting in April 2015):
http://ws-tcg.com/en/events/

Free, casual play will continue to be available in-between tourney weeks at the same usual time (Saturdays @ 6 PM).

New to WS? Come learn how to play at our upcoming demo deck event!

If you're new to Weiss Schwarz and want to learn how to play, we have another upcoming opportunity for you as well! Special workshops with miniature "demo decks" will be offered on Saturday 3/21 featuring Bushiroad's own anime series, Detective Opera Milky Holmes.
  • Abington: 1 PM (Carl will be running this one)
  • Plainville: 6 PM (I'll be here)
Keep in touch with the local WS community on Facebook

Last but not least, if you're not already in the New England WS group on Facebook, you're welcome to join us there! Find out about local events and goings-on, and easily connect with other players in the region. You can find the group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195026913978197/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:07:54 AM by Raging Mage »