Miniature Games > Warmachine / Hordes

Warmachine noob, need help

(1/3) > >>

MM3791:
Hi guys, I've never played Warmachine before. I went to Privateer Press website to look at some of the armies just to get a feel for some of the different themes ( they seem to resemble popular fantasy genres), but I was surprised to see almost no models on the website. Aside from the codex (or whatever they call'em) and just the basic starter sets. Is this somehow intentional, or are the model ranges limited?  Also what is the average model count for a standard game? My third and final question, does BG have a big Warmachine community?  It seems like the game is now 10 years old, so I was intrigued to see that there are 10 separate armies available including Hordes. Thanks

hardbap:
Hello and welcome to Warmachine!

When you say that PP has almost no models on their website are you referring to their online store? If so then yes, they don't stock their whole line in the store. PP isn't in the business of resale. You should head to BG to build your army ;) To get a good look at the models for each faction you need to use the Gallery section of their site (on the left side navigation. One link under Warmachine and one link under Hordes).

I don't think there is an average model count for games. Warmachine plays games by point value. 50pts being the level played at tournaments but you can find friendly games at 15, 25, 35 and 50 points.

I have only played at BG a few times (I plan on increasing my visits in the new year) but I have found the community to be great and very welcoming to new players.

MM3791:
Thanks, yea if I was gonna build an army I'd buy through BG.. I was just trying to browse to get a feel for the different themes (human/undead/elves etc).

Regarding model count, I mean what is average. Like less then 40k? From the very few times I've seen it on table the armies looked smaller. Do some armies generally use more or less then others, like elite vs horde army types?

hardbap:
I never played 40k but from conversations I've had with people that have and various articles on the interwebs a Warmachine army is much smaller, model count wise, than a 40k army.

I don't think there is an average model count. I suppose you could take some of the tournament lists and run the numbers but I really don't see the value in that number. Some factions, like Cryx, like to run with a lot of cheap infantry models so the model count is very high. Other factions, like Skorne, can play either Warbeast heavy (fewer larger based models) or infantry heavy (more smaller based models).

Are you trying to get the average model count to help you gauge the initial monetary investment?

MM3791:
Well that's part of it, like how much does a 50 point tourney army usually go for? It seems the cost per kit is similar to GW products. Also I hear the game is very balanced, so I'm mostly going by army theme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version