Author Topic: FFG Gaming Mats Critcism  (Read 3044 times)

Veji

FFG Gaming Mats Critcism
« on: May 29, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
So lastnight, i noticed that these $40 gaming mats that FFG sells, really aren't all that ideal for the game. 

The veneer/smooth finish to the gaming surface would suggest that you slide your bases around to move them, when i found that actually picking the model up and moving them was more efficient.

Doing a quick google search has yielded the ideas of neoprene mats (mouse pad material) and yoga mats.  Does anyone here use anything other than the FFG mats?

I'm currently looking at something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Wide-Long-Deluxe-Yoga/dp/B002PA1KWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409793143&sr=8-1&keywords=extra+wide+yoga+mat

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
Re: FFG Gaming Mats Critcism
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
Hi Veji,

I am a big fan of the FFG mats as well as the third party mats that BG has available for us to use. I feel that the "slip" factor is not a real problem for me, however I have seen that complaint in the past.

Most folks that found this to be an issue have remedied this by getting some weight on the bases of their ships. This can be tricky, but a metal washer can fit in the underside of the base to add some weight.

Another thing to keep in mind is the FFG Tourney Rules, which have some requirements related to the playfield.
Be the positive change you want to see.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
The store mats are all neoprene and I'm pretty sure most of the guys use some version of neoprene mats.

I'm also pretty sure the FFG mats are neoprene.

The yoga mat stuff is fine, but I find that it's tough to find 36 inch wide rolls.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:06:45 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Veji

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 08:20:57 AM »
It may be a different surface finish thats needed, if they're neoprene.

Frost, how are they attaching the 1/2 flat washers to the bases?   With super glue?

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »
Frost, how are they attaching the 1/2 flat washers to the bases?   With super glue?

Any superglue should work, however I have had the best luck with "Zap-A-Gap" brand. The big thing to focus on is that the base still sits flat, and that the washers to not elevate it off of the mat.

Zap-A-Gap:
http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-glues/zap-gap
Be the positive change you want to see.

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
Love my FFG mat as well as the HCD mats the store has. Have played on all sort in the last 4 months and the neoprene mats work the best for the game in my opinion.

Gale Force 9 has some mats that are vinyl but scratch very easily and everything sticks to them, and not in a good way.