Author Topic: 40K Doubles Questions  (Read 2910 times)

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
40K Doubles Questions
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Hey gang, few questions here about the upcoming event -

1. Will the missions require a unit from both players to capture an objective?

2. Will CTA restrictions be enforced between detachments from each player on the same team?

3. Will players' models on the same team be treated as enemy models for the purposes of special rules, novas, beams, etc?

Thanks!

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: 40K Doubles Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »
1)
THE SCENARIOS WE ARE USING FOR THIS EVENT ARE NOT YET AVAILABLE.  THEY WILL BE POSTED AS SOON AS THEY ARE FINISHED.  Teams can expect some / all of the scenarios to require a scoring unit from each player's army to be within 3" of an objective marker to score it.

2)
4. Allies - Team members are free to choose whatever armies they would like, but all regular rules for governing allies apply.  Come the Apocalypse alliances will be played exactly as stated in the rulebook. Example: Player A cannot deploy within 12" of Player B (or whatever the restrictions are).

3) I'll ask Sam.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Goblin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
Team members are free to choose whatever armies they would like, but all regular rules for governing allies apply.  Come the Apocalypse alliances will be played exactly as stated in the rulebook. Example: Player A cannot deploy within 12" of Player B (or whatever the restrictions are).

this makes me sad. i'm not suggesting you change it for this particular event, but i've mentioned this before: i think it sucks to penalize people for playing the army they own with someone they actually want to spend ~8 hours playing games with (presumably one of their friends) because they didn't choose to play non-cta armies X years ago when they started playing the game.

i notice this in particular, because i play tyranids. none of my friends have tyranid armies, so short of lending one of them some of my stuff, i pretty much have to take the come the apocalypse penalty if i want to play my own models.

edit: just to be clear since the above may have come off as more whiny than intended  :P it's really not that big a penalty and i've played around it before and will likely do so again, it just seems to me that it's and unnecessary barrier to people being able to play the army they have with the people they want to play with :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:29:49 PM by Goblin »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:58:40 PM »
Sam says that will be based on page 127, the allied matrix.

If they're enemies, they're enemies is how he'd like to play it.  Makes sense, but it's another thorn in the side of CTA allies.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Tsilber

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
...Tyranid allies CTA is the new thing, tons of armies who ally in a couple dakka flyers.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:08 AM »
...Tyranid allies CTA is the new thing, tons of armies who ally in a couple dakka flyers.

It's a little frustrating in a doubles event, where you need to deploy your 1k forces wholly 12" apart and both need a unit on an objective to score it (which triggers One Eye Open at the start of your next turn).

That said, still planning to attend and will be happy with whatever the BG folks decide. It would be nice to see this restriction lightened up for one event, at least in the case of Tyranid allies (who have none in the matrix at a level greater than CTA).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:25:21 AM by robpro »

Goblin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »

i'm totally fine with it being penalized when you're playing singles, and you've chosen to take cta allies from your own models. it's different for a doubles event. say for example i want to play with my friend who only owns marines and i only own bugs, in this case we have two choices: play our own models and take the cta penalty or have one player supply all the models for both people. i don't know about you, but i wouldn't be particularly jazzed about leaving my own models at home for a tournament.

the idea is that doubles is inherently more casual than say, an 1850 gt primer. people should be encouraged to just bring what they like and play on a team with a friend. again, like i said in the original post, it's not that big a penalty and it won't stop me from showing up and playing my bugs :)

Mike D

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
I would be against completely taking away the CTA penalty, however a reduction of the 12" restriction to either 8" or 6" for the doubles event would still hinder the teams deployment yet not in such a crippling manner, as far as one eye open rule the objectives themselves take up space so with careful positioning CTA units can both be "on" an objective yet not trigger the penalty so that aspect of CTA teams I do not believe should be changed

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
I do feel there is a distinct different between singles and doubles. I was always a fan of treating everything less then AoC as AoC and AoC and above remained the same. Some people don't have a ton of options like others have said. That being said; personally I don't care as long as I know ahead of time as I do here.