Author Topic: Tech Marines and Servitors  (Read 1673 times)

Grand Master Steve

Tech Marines and Servitors
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
I have asked this question before and I have gotten a lot of mixed answers. Sadly you can not ask Gw since they will also give me mixed answers. Can the tech marine on a thunder fire cannon take servitors?

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Re: Tech Marines and Servitors
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
I checked the book, and read over the description for both, and no where does it say that you CAN'T take servitors.  Since Servitors can normally come with Techmarine's, I don't see how and why you wouldn't be able to take them.  That being said though, that is only my personal interpretation of the rules.

Did you check any of the FAQ's?  Maybe they have something that we both aren't seeing.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »
I would say yes he may purchase the unit becuase he is a techmarine. But he can not join with them because he is not an indepdent character. He can join them after the cannon is gone though.

How I came to this;
pg 138 SM codex: "You may include one unit of servitors for every Techmarine or Master of the Forge in your army" He is a techmarine you may purchase the unit.

pg 73 SM codex: ....."Note that the Techmarine does not benefit from the Independant Character and Blessing of the Omnissiah rules unless his Thunderfire Cannon has been destroyed."

The servitor unit is not a unit upgrade if it was it would be listed in the unit selection portion of the book.   ;D
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:11:05 PM »
So if the tech marine and the cannon were with a group of servitors and the tech marine is targeted by a lascannon then you cant allocate the hit onto a servitor to keep the gunner alive.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 06:51:44 PM »
Correct, because they are two seperate units. Best thing to do would be to take servitor's and put them in front of the techmarine and cannon. That way if people wanted to target the techmarine they would get a 4+ cover save from the servitor's screening them. Granted once you wipe out the servitor's your cover's gone
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »
hmm does the same job, almost as the original intent. Giving fodder for the tech marine so the servitors die first. This is similar giving the techmarine survivability which is the problem with the thunder fire cannon, if the tech marine falls it becomes useless.