Author Topic: DaBoyz GT 2011  (Read 7078 times)

Crimthaan

DaBoyz GT 2011
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
We’re pleased to announce the latest details and info for the DaBoyz Grand Tournament. This is the sixth year in a row we are running the event.

The 2011 DaBoyz GT will be held October 21, 22, and 23, 2011. This will be a three day event, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Updated rules can be found at our brand new website:

http://www.daboyzgt.com

Ticket Sales and Registration
Ticket sales are now live! Ticket ordering information and the hotel discount can be found on the web site. Additional events will be added as they are confirmed.

http://www.daboyzgt.com

Sponsorship
We want to thank the fantastic sponsorship we got from last year. This sponsorship has grown for this year. We are very grateful for all the donations we have received. Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors last year, we offered a huge array of perks and rewards for our attendees. We’re very grateful for the generous donations for our gaming and charity events, and for the time and assistance we received from our volunteer staffers.

Main Street Armory, 900 Main Street Armory. Rochester, NY
http://www.rochestermainstreetarmory.com/
It is located in downtown Rochester close to several hotels and restaurants. The Armory itself is over 10,000 Sq. Ft. Space that includes its own restaurant. The armory will also have a cash bar and vending stand with a buffet to sell food throughout the weekend.

The Event
The event features a two-day, 6 games, 120-player Warhammer 40,000 Grand Tournament. This will take place on Saturday and Sunday. There will also be Warhammer Fantasy Independent Tournament. Both tournaments are part of the National Tournament and will be given invites from Games Workshop for the Nationals in 2012.  The National tournament will be held at the end of the Indy GT season.
Also on Friday this year, we will be running an America Team Event. 
Other great events and features include:
• A food and cash bar will be available in the gaming hall. A full service restaurant is also located inside the same building.
• Shuttle service to and from local hotels and the Rochester airport.
• Large Apocalypse event.
• Great prizes, cool swag, and t-shirts

• Vendors area

Limited space is still available for clubs to run events and for retailers in the dealer room. Also welcome are volunteers to help with convention staffing. If you’d like to be a part of one of the premiere events in the Northeast, contact us today!

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
Re: DaBoyz GT 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
I was thinking about going, until I read your comp rules.  They are some of the worst comp rules I have seen, why would you try and force a large group of people to play the game you want to see it played?  Why not let people build an army they want to play?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:37:35 AM by Asuran83 »
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I would highly recommend going to this event. I've gone that last couple of years and had a blast

If you work your army out in the rubic its not that bad. Plus you can tailor your army to fit into the constraints of the rubic.

I wouldn't not go to the event because of this.

But that said its not everyone's cup of tea.  :)

*disclaimer: Yes, I am a member of this group, and no I don't have anything to do with the running of the singles event, and know just about as much about the rubic as everyone else, maybe less. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:20:56 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Ragnar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
penalizing good players for being good and rewarding bad players for being bad.... ugh :P

oh, btw, the site link aint working for me, just fyi

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
"penalizing good players for being good and rewarding bad players for being bad.... ugh"

How so?

Certain armies are perceived as having an advantage but its the general not the army that win's battle. I always looked at winning with a comp list as a challenge not a crutch.
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
I am not a fan of that comp system but playing a list that scores bad in the comp rubric does not make a player "good." Just have to put that out there.

Ragnar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
unless a player either makes a good list by accident or gets it from another source, it would usually indicate a good player, that's all. if you prefer the phrasing 'penalizing good list makers for making good lists etc. etc.' that's fine too.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
This event personifies everything negative about comp. What is touted as encouraging creativity is stifling it.
beep bop boop

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
My only suggestion would be to give a try  :)

As far as GT's go its one of if not the cheapest to attend, with great prizes. It is only a $55 entry fee and hotel's and travel to upstate New York are cheap in comparison to other national GT's.

Not to mention they have Yueling on tap and its dirt cheap to drink and eat up there. Last year at a after a day of gaming we invaded a local bar and my table of 8+ guys drinking and eating for several hours was well less than $50 a head, and Troy can attest the beer and shots were flowing.

I'd like to see some BG attendance, it really is a blast, but if the Rubic is a deal killer for you, please keep it in mind for next year there is always a chance it can change.

*Also shameless plug I am going to be one of the people running the Team tournament. It's a four man ETC style event. There is no comp and if I remember correctly drinking is allowed in the hall.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:43:54 PM by jhobin »

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »
That is no shameless plug! That sounds infinitely better than the singles. Thanks for the info. Depending on my course load, I may try to talk Rick into dragging me along for that.
beep bop boop

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »
unless a player either makes a good list by accident or gets it from another source, it would usually indicate a good player, that's all. if you prefer the phrasing 'penalizing good list makers for making good lists etc. etc.' that's fine too.

I find there is a tremendous difference between recognizing what are the best things in a codex, and playing them correctly on the table.

This comp system is certainly not my cup of tea.  I feel like they stopped halfway to making it work.  To pretend like all codex's are created equal is foolish.  But meh.

Plenty of powerful lists can fit into the rubric with little to no penalties.  

The biggest penalty is for MSU/Vehicle spam.  Which is correct in my opinion.

Ian, how do you feel it stifles creativity?   It looks to me like it stifles spamming the same units in transports.  I don't see how that is creative.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »
Limiting options is by definition limiting creativity.
beep bop boop

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
Do you really feel that MSU spam lists are creative?

Options are already limited.  I suppose limiting someone to "one" list for the event is stifling.

There are things being limited here, but creativity is not one of them.

Give a real answer next time please.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
You're putting words in my mouth and creating false scenarios.

You'll get "real answers" when you recognize your fallacies, however, they won't be from me. Enjoy your Internet tough guy routine.
beep bop boop

Ragnar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »
if you don't like the way GW wrote its books/rules, it's not mandatory you play 40k.... in the same way that if you don't like a comp in your tourny, don't play. whatever.