Author Topic: Opinions new Tyranid 'dex  (Read 14904 times)

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Re: Opinions new Tyranid 'dex
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »
Doesn't it say in the 'dex that he can take tryrant guard?

If he can take tyrant guard he's a tyrant, right?
You can't make that kind of inference and claim it is RAW. You could easily have a situation where something that was not a hive tyrant could take tyrant guard for some reason.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »
Maybe the problem is that GW has failed to take into consideration the pedantic nature of it's player base. I personally believe that the Swarmlord is adequately described as a Hive tyrant in it's description.

Cheers,
Alan
Cute dig Alan. But words have meaning and the rules of the game are the rules of the game. Other manufacturers have shown that they can write rules that are clear, and issue timely FAQ when mistakes are made. There is absolutely no excuse for GW publishing rules like spirit leach or not specifying clearly that something counts as a hive tyrant. This is very VERY basic game design.
You can whine all you want about players not playing the way you like... but the rules are abjectly badly written, and some (like spirit leach) are abjectly unclear or have unclear interactions with other rules. Of course we can 'house rule' them. But that is no excuse for GW dropping the ball.
If GW doesn't want to support players using the rules they should stop writing codexes and just make models for us to use under whatever rules we feel like that day.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
Maybe the problem is that GW has failed to take into consideration the pedantic nature of it's player base. I personally believe that the Swarmlord is adequately described as a Hive tyrant in it's description.

Cheers,
Alan
Cute dig Alan. But words have meaning and the rules of the game are the rules of the game. Other manufacturers have shown that they can write rules that are clear, and issue timely FAQ when mistakes are made. There is absolutely no excuse for GW publishing rules like spirit leach or not specifying clearly that something counts as a hive tyrant. This is very VERY basic game design.
You can whine all you want about players not playing the way you like... but the rules are abjectly badly written, and some (like spirit leach) are abjectly unclear or have unclear interactions with other rules. Of course we can 'house rule' them. But that is no excuse for GW dropping the ball.
If GW doesn't want to support players using the rules they should stop writing codexes and just make models for us to use under whatever rules we feel like that day.

Seriously I'm not trying to be cute, that in fact may be beyond my powers at this stage. But, as I've said before, I feel it's very clear in the description of the swarmlord that it is a Hive Tyrant. I just believe you're overthinking this one.

Sorry,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Re: B$tch$ng about the new Tyranid 'dex
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
I'm with ya Alan  ;D

seems pretty clear by description he's a tyrant!

"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
As a neutral party here I read the description of the Swarmlord and I must agree he is a Hive Tyrant
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
Fluff is not rules per RAW, no where in his Wrtten rules does it say he counts as a Hive Tyrant. If fluff were rules all Relic Blades would require 2 hands to use one.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »
Fluff is not rules per RAW, no where in his Wrtten rules does it say he counts as a Hive Tyrant. If fluff were rules all Relic Blades would require 2 hands to use one.

You may want to read your that space marine codex again.... Relic blades are two handed, hence no extra attack for addition CCW..

So let me ask another question, are terminators space marines? every other unit mentions the word space marine but not that one...

We're being silly people.

Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »

Seriously I'm not trying to be cute, that in fact may be beyond my powers at this stage. But, as I've said before, I feel it's very clear in the description of the swarmlord that it is a Hive Tyrant. I just believe you're overthinking this one.

Sorry,
Alan

But the thing is, does it say he's a Hive Tyrant?  If not, then you're reading what you assume (and rightfully so) they intended it to be.  Key word: intended.  If it doesn't say it's a Hive Tyrant, then you read the rule as it was intended to be, which I don't think anybody would disagree with in a friendly or tournament setting.

This game requires reading rules in an RAI form many times, but to say that it's not RAI is a false statement.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:35 PM »
Since the new thing is referencing other site's I throw my hat in;

http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/inat/INATFAQv3.2.pdf

"PG 95 +TYR.56H.01 - Q:All of the Swarmlord's psychic powers are written as working for a 'Hive Tyrant'. Is he considered a 'Hive Tyrant'?
A:A Super Version of a Hive Tyrant, but yes {clarification}."

basically, he's a tyrant  

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:39:51 AM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
Since the new thing is referencing other site's I throw my hat in;

http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/inat/INATFAQv3.2.pdf

"PG 95 +TYR.56H.01 - Q:All of the Swarmlord's psychic powers are written as working for a 'Hive Tyrant'. Is he considered a 'Hive Tyrant'?
A:A Super Version of a Hive Tyrant, but yes {clarification}."

So, basically suck it up he's a tyrant  :P

I never said he wasn't, in fact I agreed he was.

You're quoting an independent (though professional) FAQ that's saying the Swarmlord is a Hive Tyrant, and telling me that's GW's official written rule?

Summary: Yes he should be a Hive Tyrant.  Yes that's what GW intended it to be.  No it's not the rule that's written, it's the rule that any logical person would figure out was under the rules as intended type of situation.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »

Sorry,
Alan

But the thing is, does it say he's a Hive Tyrant?  If not, then you're reading what you assume (and rightfully so) they intended it to be.  Key word: intended.  If it doesn't say it's a Hive Tyrant, then you read the rule as it was intended to be, which I don't think anybody would disagree with in a friendly or tournament setting.

This game requires reading rules in an RAI form many times, but to say that it's not RAI is a false statement.

Yes it does.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »

Sorry,
Alan

Yes it does.

Does it?  I haven't been looking at one, I've just noticed the general consensus is that it doesn't... clearly, at least.

Lady GaGa

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • I want your love I dont wanna be friends
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »
Well this about to be a flame war...

I won't tell you that I love you
Kiss or hug you
Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin
I'm not lying I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue gunning

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
Well this about to be a flame war...

I'm surprised it hasn't been locked yet. :p

I'm just really baffled by the "GW intended for this to be a Hive Tyrant, even though they don't specifically say it.  Thus, it's not Rules-as-Intended" ideas going on here.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »

Sorry,
Alan

Well put Rob.

Alan. I am in no way claiming that ANYONE in their right mind would play him as anything but a hive tyrant even at a tournament. The issue I have is that GW had every chance to make the codex clear... and FAILED. Then when they issue poorly worded rules... they don't issue FAQ fast enough (or at all).
Spirit leach is a good example of something that might actually be played differently depending upon the players... EVERYBODY knows this by now... so do we have a GW official FAQ?