Author Topic: Eldar, new army advice  (Read 990 times)

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Eldar, new army advice
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »
Hi, for those who don't know. I'm Jeff, I play 40k with my Raven Guard army quite often at Battlegrounds.

I am currently working on a new Eldar Army, I want this army to be my own (Something like the create a chapter used in the Space Marine Codex)

What I am thinking is my Eldar army is an expeditionary force of the Exodites (The Eldar who fled to the fringes of the galaxy prior to the fall) I want to incorporate several different schemes into my Eldar, along with perhaps some minor rule changes to support the fluff.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do and not to do when creating your own army like this?

Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists
W: 1 L: 0 T: 0

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Re: Eldar, new army advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »
My suggestion would be to stay away from any rule changes, for good or bad, because then you have to seek permission from your opponent. That said if you play with people that would not mind that sort of thing go for it!

As far as exodite's go its a great theme to expand upon. I would suggest getting creative in this aspect. For instance its not a hard stretch to use cold one's from fantasy converted up with weapons for jetbiker's. I've seen people use dragon's as wave serpants, was a little bit of a stretch but just remember to try to keep your conversions to the same size and shape as its original. in the above example was at a GT opponents were confused because of size, etc, because it was just a stock metal GW dragon not even close to the size and shape of a wave serpant.

I'm working on feral orc army and have been taken some licence as well for theme my boar boyz for example are being used as warbikers eventually I'm going to convert them up to have spear launchers on the side to represent the shoota's.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
Yeah, I have had several ideas. I will have three or four different guardian schemes. Every Vyper in my Vyper squadron will be painted completely different. Etc.

Essentially I want this to be a combined Alliance between the Exodite Colonies. They would be more friendly towards Humans, etc. as they would not feel the same level of offense as Craftworld Eldar for taking control of the planets created by their gods. Exodites would be for the most part oblivious to that, even if they did care.

A Chaos invasion will be what stirred them up and helped them to forge their alliances with each other. In this invasion a Demon Hunter force will have shown up in the nic of time and turned the tide against the Chaos. The Exodites would then join the Demon Hunters to chase the Choas back to their planet and fight them there.

I'm not the greatest writer but I can come up with something worth reading.

Imperial Fists

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:42:52 PM »
Here is an idea for a first, simple custom unit for my army.

The Falcon Grav. Tank. Scout Variant. 85 PTS

Main weapon: Optional (Difference from reg. Falcon. This is not Twin Linked)
Shuri Cannon. (FREE)
Scatter Laser. (10 PTS)
Eldar Missile Launcher (15 PTS)

(No option for Star Cannon or Bright Lance)

The following weapons are standard, just like the regular Falcon.

Twin Linked Shuriken Catapult (no ability to upgrade to Shuri. Cannon)

Pulse Laser

[key differences]
30 Points less than standard Falcon.
Armor decreased from 12 12 10 to 11 11 10

Because of the frequent sand storms on the exodite planets the scout falcon has no cockpit windsheild. This makes visibility and targeting easier (-1 to the cover save of whatever the scout falcon shoots at) but it also leave the driver exposed. On a roll of a 6 on the vehicle glance/pen roll the hit is taken on the pilot of the vehicle.

The scout variant of the falcon is able to use an assault move of 12" if it did not fire it's heavy weapon in the shooting phase. The heavy weapon is the mounted weapon on the top of the falcon frame.

Being a scout vehicle the scout falcon forgoes it's ability to carry troops.

What do you think? Again, I'm not really going to play in tournaments or anything with this army. I can tweak it if anyone thinks it is OP or Under Powered.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists