Author Topic: D&D Encounters Info  (Read 2329 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
D&D Encounters Info
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:04 AM »
Starting Wednesday, March 17th Battleground will be hosting D&D Encounters at 7:30pm.

http://wizards.com/dnd/Event.aspx?x=dnd/4new/event/dndencounters

Basically, it's a weekly game that is open to anyone!  Each week we will run 1 encounter for a group of interested players.

Season 1 will involve exploring the depths of Undermountain.

Character Creation Rules:

Q. I understand that for this season of D&D Encounters, I can create my own 1st-level character or use a pre-generated one included. What are the rules for creating my own character?

A. The rules are pretty simple. To create your own 1st-level character, follow all the instructions listed in the Player’s Handbook. You can select rules options from any player resource for your character, including the Player’s Handbook series, the Power series, the Player’s Guides, the Adventurer’s Vault series, and Dragon Magazine content. You can choose any race that’s received a full “PC race” write-up in any player book or source. So, for example, shadar-kai is OK, since it received a full write-up in Dragon, but kobold isn’t, since it hasn’t received that treatment. You start play with 100 gold (as normal). You might want to consider making your character fit in with the world of the Forgotten Realms, but that’s not a requirement.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: D&D Encounters Info
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:33:57 AM »
Also, I've read that the encounters can be pretty lethal.

If I am running for a group of experienced players I will probably put effort into giving you an appropriate challenge.  Please bring powerful PC's made with the generator available at the store.  (or email me the file)

If I am running for a less experienced group I will probably put effort into giving you an appropriate challenge.  Please talk to me about creating your PC's.

I may also run this on Sunday's for the newbies after the Arena, if interest is there.

skavengear

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
ill be joining this game if at all possible, id be making a shardmind battlemind
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:25:16 PM by Skavenknight »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:14:58 AM »
A group is forming at the store.  I think it's got 3-5 players interested in playing already.  Please post here or talk to me at the store if you're interested.  If the turn out ends up being larger than expected I may have to run it twice...

Wednesdays just keep getting busier! :)

Note:  The 17th is going to be controlled chaos at BG.  Megabattle "crunch time" + Spring Break + MtG + Battletech + FoW + D&D Encounters + Boardgames = controlled chaos!

Eastie04

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
I'd love to do something like this every Wednesday.   Count me in!

-K

filthgrinder

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »
Greetings,
How is this program going for you guys? My girlfriend and I played Encounters 1 at PAX this past weekend and had a blast. We weren't able to get into Encounters 2 but we'd like to play going forward.

Are you guys running the event still? Do you have open slots?

We are both experienced 4E players. I'm an experienced 4E DM, I took the RPGA test and passed and everything. We played the Dark Sun preview this past weekend as well and crushed it.

We would definitely be interested in coming in Wednesday nights if the game is going. If needed, I could DM if there aren't enough judges. Whats the turn out been like?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
Greetings,
How is this program going for you guys? My girlfriend and I played Encounters 1 at PAX this past weekend and had a blast. We weren't able to get into Encounters 2 but we'd like to play going forward.

Are you guys running the event still? Do you have open slots?

We are both experienced 4E players. I'm an experienced 4E DM, I took the RPGA test and passed and everything. We played the Dark Sun preview this past weekend as well and crushed it.

We would definitely be interested in coming in Wednesday nights if the game is going. If needed, I could DM if there aren't enough judges. Whats the turn out been like?

The program had been going pretty well for us.  We have a solid mix of experienced, casual, and inexperienced (brand new) players.

We are running the event and plan to continue running it.  We do have open slots, but it's far from an exact science in terms of putting the groups together and when the games will start.

We have 1 group of 5 guys that have always played together on Wednesday nights, so they plan to always stick together.  The owner of the store runs their game.

The other players are a bit more flexible.  We have had one other table start almost exactly at 7:30 both Wednesdays.  Last Wednesday (Encounter 2) we had to ask a couple of guys to wait a while before their group filled and we had supplies available.

If you would like to DM a session any time during the season just let us know.  We can always use DM's.

I didn't get the chance to check out PAX but I did hear the Dark Sun game was cool.

Anyways, feel free to come down for 7:30 this Wednesday.  Encounter 3 is a skill challenge so it will likely be a LOT faster than normal... which is already pretty fast.  We are going to seat a group of 6ish players ASAP and then another after that, so long as resources are free to do it.

Last week we sat 15 or 16 players.  Two groups at 7:30, one group at 9:00.

skavengear

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
I missed the first two games so what level character am i making? what roles are needed/missing on the non-noob table?  ;D

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:36 AM »
You've missed the entire first chapter (4 sessions).

There really isn't a "noob" table anymore.  Most newer players have played in all 4 sessions so far and also show up to the Arena events on Sunday.  I'd say that just about everyone knows what they are doing now.

Your character doesn't matter too much.  Just go with what you'd like.  Level 1, all sources are cool.

skavengear

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »
ok is this event free or if not whats the fee?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
Fee = $0.00

(It's free)