Author Topic: Dark Heresy: The New Thread  (Read 13778 times)

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Re: Dark Heresy: The New Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
I will inform you of the next date when I figure out what other dates I have the competitions.  In the mean time, let me know of any questions you have.  See you guys in the store.

Rob

As I haven't seen a next date announced, I'm assuming no game on Oct 4th?

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 05:51:46 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Haven't been on too much.

The 4th IS a game day.  I'm going to let cookie know, and you all will most likely know.  I'll be there to start at 11, hopefully we can get some good playing in.   I'm sure 2 weeks off has affected you guys as it's affected me.  I want my random bunch of suicide soldiers back to kill. D:
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
One Little Question
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
(At some point Wicke would settle in with the Baron and start a monologue.  She wouldn't particularly try to keep the following private from the rest of the acolytes.  If others want to listen in, they could.  I suppose I could have role played this conversation out on Saturday, and let the Baron and everyone else get words in edgewise, but it seems best to get some of the political role playing out of the way so we can advance the plot further on Saturday.  So...)

I come from planet called Loss.  It's a forest world, a jungle world.  Tribal.  There are more alien ruins scattered about than human.  The aliens are long gone.  The humans...  Well...  We've been too busy fighting each other to build anything to last, so there aren't many human ruins worth mentioning.

For a tribe to survive on Loss, it needs warriors and priestesses.  You get priestesses by sitting girl children on the alien ruins.  If the child screams and has nightmares, she is sensitive to the warp, so she is forced to sit and scream and have nightmares all the more.  The strong among these girl children grow stronger.  The weak sail on the Black Ships.  The Imperium collects the garbage.

To get more warriors, you need more women.  You get women by raiding other tribes.  I guess I've had as much choice as a girl can get on Loss.  I was in turn initiate priestess, sex slave and Black Ship cargo.  This is to say, I had no choices at all.

I've travelled some since.  I started developing a theory that Loss was the ultimate sewage pit of the Empire.  I've a simple way of judging this.  If I had to leave a young daughter behind as I continue my travels, what world would I least wish to leave her on?  Mind you, they don't send acolytes to nice places where everything is working out fine.  I've seen some pretty ugly places.  Still, I was starting to believe Loss had a unique place at the bottom of the Imperium's pecking order.

Until I got here.  Baron, you have yourself one ugly planet.

I'd like to tell story of one particular planet fall.  It was a hive world, a place of giant cone cities, where the rich are literally on top, and climbing was a life's work.  Someone was killing some of the elites dwelling on top.  Our job was to find out who, and stop it.  There was one minor detail.  The Inquisition didn't bother to give us the cash or travel passes needed to travel to the top.  We wasted a couple of weeks just trying to climb.  We weren't getting much further much faster than the natives, reaching for the top of the cone.

We might still be trying to climb, but the killers got dumb.  They were a drug gang.  They decided to lean on us, to force us to leave.  They out and out told us to leave.  Now, most of us, especially Wolf, don't respond well to getting leaned on.  So Wolf gets us all together, marches us into the office of the head of the gang, and tells the group's talker to talk us all out the situation.

OK.  So, I'm the group's talker.  You know, I still wish Wolf had told me about his brilliant plan in advance.

Anyway, the drug lord did explain the situation.  You see, we were Ordo Hereticus.  Don't ask me how he knew, but he knew.  So, as he wasn't a heretic, he was just an ordinary every day gang leader.  It wasn't Ordo Hereticus' job to mess with his drug smuggling operation.  We should go away. 

Wasn't it good of him to have cleared that up?

Now, I had to come up with something, so I made up this rule.  I told him he was mucking up the tithe, which was true enough.  His attempts to gain control of the smuggling routes onto and off the planet had mucked up trade and communications.  I told him the Imperium doesn't care that much what is going on on a planet, so long as the tithe kept coming.  If he wasn't ready to take over cleanly and pay the tithe himself, he should do nothing to interfere with the tithe.  If he did, he should expect to be fighting the Imperium as well as the bosses upstairs.  If he didn't like this, well, tough, cause that's the way the galaxy works.

We went around in a few circles from there.  He didn't quite point out he had enough men to kill us all.  I didn't quite claim to be in command of the combined might of the entire Empire.  We were both oh so subtle.  Anyway, we reached an understanding.  He'd let us live.  He wouldn't hinder interstellar commerce, communications, or the tithe.  We wouldn't squish him like a small insect.  Fair exchange?  Good deal?

The deal lasted until we got topside, and explained what we had learned to the Inquisitor.  The difference between the Inquisitor and my poor humble self is that he actually is in command of the combined might of the entire Empire, or at least enough of it as never mind.  He decided to ignore my little deal, and send down enough storm troopers that the problem of that particular drug gang isn't likely to rise again.

OK?  End of rambling stories.  About this time, you should be wondering where am I going with this.

Not everything the Imperium does is about the tithe.  We have a pyromancer, here.  Likely enough, a mutant pyromancer.  Rogue psychers are the Inquisition's problem, tithe, class problems and politics entirely aside.

And you've got an ugly world, but it isn't my job to make it pretty.  I would, if I could, but I can't, so I won't, so why try?

But this is, in part, about tithe and politics and class.  If we find and handle the pyromancer, the problem might go away, for a time.  The mines might keep working, for a time.  Folks might get born and die, for a time.  Ugly will stay ugly, for a time.  Then another pyromancer will come, or another mutant, or another xenos conspiracy, or another deadly bliss drug, or something.  I just don't know that the lives here are much worth living, that the folks here will fight to keep what they have.  They just don't have much to anything to fight for. 

Your little conspiracy got ugly because this is an ugly place, which does come back to the tithe.  This is, at base, a rich world.  From it, much is taken.  Gut feel, if a bit more were left behind, it might become a world worth fighting for, or living on.  What you were trying to do with education might have been a start.  Right now, from the Imperium's oh so distant perspective, the entire tithe is at risk.  If leaving behind a little of what is being taken could secure the rest, this, to me, would be worth doing, not so much because I'm a nice little girl with delusions of making life pretty, but because I don't really want to come back here again in a few years and start all over.

And I haven't seen anything yet on how big a slice the bosses are keeping for themselves.

But nobody asks me.  I can try to make something happen, but what I say matters far less than what the Inquisitor says.  Any deal I make might not last longer than it takes to travel topside.  It was suggested to me topside that your path was likely the better path, that the road you walked should have been taken, but nothing was written on a saint's hide and sealed with the Emperor's thumb print.

And they haven't taught me a thing about politics and economics.  I'm just here to make things right, not to understand what's going on.  They've taught me how to shoot a gun, to reload it, to free it up when it jams.  I know how to meditate, to draw power from the warp, to heal with my mind.  That sort of stuff, they'll teach.  Not politics.  Not economics.  That would make me too dangerous.  I'm too young to learn that stuff.

So I have to talk to you.  You know this world far better than I.  You know how the nobles think.  You know how to get into trouble, and perhaps how to avoid it.  I guess the question is whether to destroy the group you once made, or to try to take it back.  If you want to take it back, you'll have to make promises.

And I'm just a not so nice little girl.  I'm not sure what promises might properly be made that could have some reasonable chance of being kept.  Once or twice I have pretended to have at my command as much of the Imperium's might as never you mind.  I might do so again if it seems wise to do so.  Delusions or illusions of power can be useful at times.

This leaves me with one little question.  This group we are chasing?  Do we try to make of them enemies...   or friends?  Oh, if the pyromancer is insane, and many of my kind are, he has to die.  After that, from the stories, he might then have to die, die and die again.  Beyond that, there seems to be an open question... 

Whose side do you wish the Inquisition to be on?

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
Wicke, your past is not foreign to me.  As you said you have seen, on this world you work from the day you can handle a pickaxe to the day you die.  The serfs here don't live in the danger that those on your home seemed to, though perhaps their life really doesn't begin and thus cannot live.  Sometimes I think danger is the one thing besides the light of the Emperor that makes these people not want to die every day.  Most of these men, women, and children also don't have choices.  They also don't have a future to look forward to.  They just have the sound of the mines.  But who are we to compare planets?  Without being to yours, I do not know what I can expect.  I've been to one planet and one moon in my entire life, and the difference between those were so drastic that it would take me a lifetime to find them all.  Do you feel that way on each planet you visit, Wicke?  I don't think I would want to travel like you do.  The thought of finding others in similar situations to the ones here... it's difficult to imagine.

Though, I suppose, it isn't too hard to imagine.  I've seen the high point in these serfs' power.  The point I brought them to.  But, along with that, I've seen a low point never reached before.  If I've seen it once, I could probably see it again.

The Inquisition has always fascinated me.  You bring justice to all planets on a different level than the arbitrators do.  You don't correct crime, you remove it.  You have quite a bit of power backing you up and many means of taking care of any threat.  Yet when you come here what do you see?  You see normal people.  The evil is underground, it is a group very small in comparison but their crimes are just as large.  What of the normal people?  Do you see heresy in them?  Taint?  They are a side manner, collateral damage if they get in the way and background noise if they don't.  They are not your focus, yet they are the reason you are here.  If it wasn't for them, none of this would be a problem.  Hell, the Calixis sector would most likely be a lot poorer.  It is not power that I was after when I began their education.  It was not a lasting gang of the intelligent in the land of the unlearned.  It was the thought that there could be more to their life.

The Broken Chains are no longer.  They collapsed a long time ago, when I died.  What remains now is an ugly ghost.  Just as a man ages and loses memory, the Chains are nothing as what I wanted.  Unfortunately, unlike the man, there is no technology that can prevent it.  Save technology that kills.  I will not hold you back from the destruction of them.  They do not belong the way they are.  Anybody who still shared my ideals are now working on the land of another baron who shared my views.  The only ones left deserve to die.  I just hope we can for good.

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 12:55:05 AM »
i shall be there for as long as i can. Its Natalie and I's one year aniversary that day but she has S.A.T. in the morning. Just be aware i might have to leave early
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Wicke's Talk with the Baron, Continued
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »
We travel, baron.  In the beginning, I had little more choice in the Inquisition than I had on Loss.  We are told where to go, and what to do.  Sometimes it seems more luck than anything else that we have managed to do what we have been sent to achieve.

We have made a difference.  That is to say, if we kill whom we are told to kill, the world changes.  And yet, is this a choice?  I was almost hoping some remnant of the Broken Chain could be salvaged, could be used.  I'm not sure, in this case, that removing a threat is enough.

But I suppose it must be.  I was vaguely hoping we might have found the pyromancer by turning the Chain against itself.  If that is impossible, we must seek a different way.

The question is where the next target might be.  We might go to any mine, capture someone traveling where he ought not to be, and try to chase our way up the command structure.  If they are smart, this will not be an easy path.

We might also try to predict the next target.  This pyromancer seems to have great power, but he cannot use it frequently.  There are times between incidents.  We might look for preliminary events that warn of the big event.  What should we watch for?

Is there a pattern in the attacks that have taken place so far?  Has he attacked the biggest mine?  The most profitable mine?  The mine with the least concern for the workers?  The mine controlled by the most obnoxious baron? 

Any of these approaches may work, or might not.  Talk to me.  If you see a pattern, let me know. 

It seems, however, quite often, that those we are sent to kill make mistakes, or give their presence away through confidence or arrogance.  Sometimes it seems like all we have to do is expose our presence, and those that we are sent to hunt will attempt to hunt us.

But I would start assuming they will be cautious and careful.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Are we on, Saturday the 11th?
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »
I'm starting to consider making plans for the weekend, and am wondering if DH is on for the 11th?  I'm all in favor, of course.

Bob / Wicke

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Is anyone planning on playing in the Fantasy tournament?  Let me know.  If some of us are, we perhaps should not play.

Feel free to make your plans, Bob.  Other things should never take a back seat to DH (well... mostly).  If you need to decide now, I'd say go ahead.  We can call off a game easier than you can work with other plans.  Everyone please let me know.

Rob

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 11:54:31 PM »
Alright, so I haven't heard from many.  Aside from Murf, it seems that everyone else wont' be in the tournament.  Bob, did you make your plans?  We can have a short session with whoever's there, I need to leave by 1 or so anyway.  Let me know, thanks.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
I'll be there.  See you tomorrow!

Bob / Wicke

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
Well, shit.  Hope people read this, I just got told to come into work tomorrow at 8:30.  Apparently we're moving all our servers onto a new shelf.  That will take a while.  I know this is last minute and I hate to do it, but no game tomorrow.

Sorry all,

Rob

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 11:55:36 PM »
Well, if it is the throwing phase, you don't mind if I throw something?   ;)

I won't be in at all tomorrow, then.

Bob / Wicke

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
Just to know, what are the plans for this Saturday?

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »
You always seem to ask right before I get to say it.  Way to make me look behind, hahah.  I'll throw more things at you guys. ;)

This Saturday will also be off.  Sorry for the off days, but our competition season has started and we have them now.  I'll let you know by the middle of next week about next Saturday, but I don't think there's anything then.  In the meantime, have a good weekend.  I'll be out of town for most of it.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 10:36:27 PM »
Alright, the last game I can't be there for!  This Saturday there will be none, as I will be at the UMass Amherst band day.  The next Saturday there should be, though it may be shorter/later as I might have practice in the morning.