Author Topic: Unbeatable Army List: Codex IG  (Read 12205 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Re: Unbeatable Army List: Codex IG
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
True good against hordes' when they get close. How much use would the HF really get though one maybe two rounds of firing? At that point your either hosing or getting hosed by someone and the effect is neglible

The big downside I see is the missed opportunities against MEQ, Mech armies, and shooty armies. Against MEQ you can cause wounds from a distance where the flamer has what an 8' range? against Mech you can at least glance a rhino or pen a trukk or similiar AV. Against shooty army your never gonna fire the weapon unless you rush them. Granted this is in building a list where you do not know what you are facing.

I usually put one or two HF in my mechig and its generally the chimera's hiding behind another chimera. Rarely do they get used. Granted I usually take 2 - 3 PCS squad with 4xflamers and fist therefore don't really need the HF
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
Someone should post a list they feel matches up well against the list Matt feels is unbeatable.

I'm curious.

6x Vendettas seem like they would be tough to kill.  I don't know anything about them other than that they have lots of guns and are considered skimmers.  Are they able to take any combination of heavy weapons they want?

I know nothing about manticores other than that the model looks badass.

The rest seems like a pretty standard, "Jeff Hobin" esq. mech guard list.

In other news, can things assault out of drop pods?

Like Jeff said, a big ugly tyranid list seems like it might do well.

ps. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »
why don't you just support the store and buy the army then you'd get the real play test
sec im gonna go dress up my g.i. joe on the internet

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
I'll bite, (bored at work with :30 minutes to kill)

bada@@ Tyranids 2500 (actualy 2445)

HQ:Hive Trant:
   HeavyVenomCannon:, OldAdversary:
   Tyrant Guard(x2) with LashWhips

T: Tervigon
   Catayst:ToxinSacs: Adrenal Glands:
T: Termagaunts (x30)
T: Termagaunts (x30)
T: Termagaunts (w/Spinefists) (x30)
E: Hiveguard (x3)
E: Venomthrope (x3)
E: Zoenthrope (x3)
H: Trygon

6x T6 W6 3+ save critter's.

Basic tactic against said IG list deploy all the big critter's max distance forward near venomthrop's. Cast FNP on 3 Trygons have then move 6 run absorb fire while everything else runs up. Tervigon's flood the board with gaunts while hiveguard/zoenthrope's/tyrant provide covering fire.

As long as the gaunts have one model near the tyrant/venomthrope/tervigons they get counter attack, poison 4+, furious charge, preferred enemy, 5+ cover save, frag grenades, and the ability to have FNP cast on them, all for the low low price of 5pts per model or free if there pooped out by puppa tervigon.

I've played a smaller version of this list in which 60 gaunts and a tyrant killed a squad of SW ThunderCalvary and an attached lord in two rounds of hth using the above 'buffs. I've been wanting to play this list against mechig because I think its the one army that might slow it down.

In other news, can things assault out of drop pods?

No

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:17:21 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
Ide think properly placed drop pods and heavy weapons with marines could drop the list. There is no such thing as "an unbeatable list"

skavengear

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
Now, now, let's try to be a little fair about this...  Ragnar has, for the most part, extended a "challenge" to the BG Community.  And in an effort to be sporting about it, I think he/she should at least have a chance to prove himself/herself in person.

I'm not familiar with Vassal or the concept behind it, but a face to face game with actual mini's or proxies could at least give us an enlightening experience with this debate.

However, I do think that there should be consequences for the loser...  But obviously, this is something that should be discussed with the involved players.

First and foremost though, I ask that Ragnar kindly introduce himself/herself to the forums AND to the store front ASAP, if he/she is indeed serious about this.  It would behoove a "Challenger" to introduce themselves, at the very least.

ben, not to humiliate poor ragnar but, i did it.  I WON!!!  :P
gabriel seth
librrian w/ stormshield

furioso librarian
sanguinary priests
terminator squad

tac squad
assault squad
death company (DOMINATED) 

land raider redeemer

stormraven
vindicator

the unbeaatble list lost to a n00b, *high fives to the storm raven*  ;D

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 08:20:08 PM »
Now, now, let's try to be a little fair about this...  Ragnar has, for the most part, extended a "challenge" to the BG Community.  And in an effort to be sporting about it, I think he/she should at least have a chance to prove himself/herself in person.

I'm not familiar with Vassal or the concept behind it, but a face to face game with actual mini's or proxies could at least give us an enlightening experience with this debate.

However, I do think that there should be consequences for the loser...  But obviously, this is something that should be discussed with the involved players.

First and foremost though, I ask that Ragnar kindly introduce himself/herself to the forums AND to the store front ASAP, if he/she is indeed serious about this.  It would behoove a "Challenger" to introduce themselves, at the very least.

ben, not to humiliate poor ragnar but, i did it.  I WON!!!  :P
gabriel seth
librrian w/ stormshield

furioso librarian
sanguinary priests
terminator squad

tac squad
assault squad
death company (DOMINATED) 

land raider redeemer

stormraven
vindicator

the unbeaatble list lost to a n00b, *high fives to the storm raven*  ;D

I'm curious if this is fact or fiction.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
As am I, Derek...  Dave, was this on Vassal, or are you just "counter trolling"?  :P
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
I have a question.

Regardless of how "unbeatable" an army list is supposed to be, doesn't it still fail when you can't roll well?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
I have a question.

Regardless of how "unbeatable" an army list is supposed to be, doesn't it still fail when you can't roll well?

Yes.

skavengear

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 11:26:17 PM »
why would i make it up i dont have anything to gain from winning a vassal game or not, i just thought it is pretty cool so i did it  ;D

if it makes any difference, my old list lost  :'(

while were on the track of broken/unbeatable, what is lysander and vulkan and why have i heard so much about them but never seen them beyond the gw site? are they really THAT broke?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39:43 PM »
It's easy to steam roll in this game.

Both Lysander and Vulcan are powerful but they are named characters.  Imperial fists and Salamanders respectively.  How many bright yellow space marines or bright green (besides Rick's) do you see around?

40k is a beer and pretzels type of game.  Making it into a competition is a farce considering how poor the rules are. 

"I just want an excuse to push little toy men around a table."
-Alan

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
Lysander and Vulkan are not "broken", just very tough to fight against.  

Lysander has the same stat line as Calgar, except his wargear is a little different.  He always strikes at Str 10 and Init 1, and if he attacks a vehicle, he adds 1 to the Vehicle Damage chart (like an AP 1 weapon).  He comes in Terminator Armor and has a Storm Shield.  Combine that with Eternal Warrior, and you've got a tough IC to kill.  Lastly, he replaces Combat Tactics with the Stubborn ability, and any unit that he is attached to can reroll failed to hit rolls with Heavy Bolters, Bolters, Storm Bolters, and Bolt Pistols.  Oh, and he also has Bolster Defenses, like a Techmarine gets.  

Tough, yes.  Broken, no.

Vulkan is a little less intimidating.  He comes with Artificer Armor, and also has a 3+ invulnerable save, but doesn't have Eternal Warrior.  He has a mastercrafted Relic Blade, with an attached Heavy Flamer.  He replaces Combat Tactics with giving your entire army Twin-linked Flamers, Heavy Flamers, Meltaguns, and Multi-meltas, and also makes all Thunder Hammers mastercrafted.

Great choices for any list, and individually hard to kill, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're broken.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:46:04 PM by Rurouni Benshin »
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

skavengear

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 11:49:31 PM »
lysander sounds pretty awesome, but im sure hes up there in points. perhaps we should have a thread for votes on favorite/best hq choices  :D

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »
40k is a beer and pretzels type of game.  Making it into a competition is a farce considering how poor the rules are.

I like the way truth smells.