Author Topic: Something Big this way comes (*Update July 29th*)  (Read 16666 times)

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
Re: New to Warhammer Fantasy Battles...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
So i picked up 4 sets of the modular trays from BG Plainville and I like them... now the only question is how do I make them up 3 of my units are 6 across and 4 deep but then I have the skirmisher Skinks, the Krogigar and the cavalry... not sure how to do their bases. I now the skirmishers charge as a tight unit but move mixed up. and the cavalry I am not sure the best way to feild them..multiple ranks or just one long line of them?

Any advice?
Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 02:57:58 AM »
Take this with a grain of salt, because I know next to nothing about Fantasy but I do get to see a lot of games.

The skinks don't use a tray.  Like you said, they move as a tightly packed group.

If I recall correctly, I generally see cavalry 5 across.  It's pretty rare that I see them in ranks.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:03:15 AM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
The skinks don't neccessarily need a tray, they move "in formation" but are 1/2" apart. So you would need a serious base for them, ie not really worth it, but I haven't tried it yet myself so it probably would be worth it eventually.

Cavalry are good shock troops, especially sarus cav. It depends on how you want to use them really. Units of 5 are good and mobile and "cheap", adding the extra rank allows them to disrupt units rank bonus, but thats an extra 5 models, where if you lose even one, you lose the combat res and the ability to disrupt ranks, so your choice on that.

Ben

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
in 8th edition skirmishers use a movement tray, you put them on the tray and leave a models space between each model, so it looks like a checker board.

cav i agree with Ben, either go 12 guys 5 across so you can disrupt and still take a wound or two, or go multiple units of 5 across and use them for setup, pursuit, missiles, or roadblocks.

just my 2cents

-Tim

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
Ok so I got really tried of painting blue... so I started on my Cold One Cavalry...  Please let me know what you think...

I know they need some touch ups and some more blending but I thought I would show my progress even though it is SO slow going.

P.S  I have custom bases for the army arriving in a few weeks so don't judge the neon green bases :)
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
So I finished my first Calvary unit of Saurus Warriors....

Also finished up on my Stegadon this weekend...

Comments welcome....
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
awesome job!

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
So I have completed my Stegadon with all its Skinks and it turned out better than i thought it would...

Then I went on to paint and finish my Slann Mage Priest today as well..

Close Up....

Comments and advice welcome....
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
Something Big this way comes....
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
So here is a sneak peak of something I am starting in.... Oh what could it be....

Now I know Warhammer Fantasy does not have Apocalypse type rules (at least not yet) but I saw this beast and thought wow this would make a great custom piece.  Based off the Thunder Lizards from the codex....with my own take on it....

No I need to figure out the best way to figure out how to build this build...I am not sure If I need to make a 3d rendering so I can then build it on the computer first to help with the RL build or if I should shoot from the hip and build as a I go. I have never used CAD or other programs to assist in this so I am lost on that side...

Books description: Thunder Lizards are behemoths, so large they dwarf even the mighty Stegadons. Their tread shakes the earth and their deafening roar can be heard for miles. They devastate the jungle with their passing, leaving miles-long trails of broken trees and tramped vegetation behind.

It goes on to say that if these guys walk into a Lizardman city it is something akin to a natural disaster. It takes many Slann to make these beasties alter course and move away so what would happen if there was a "Lost" Lizardmen Temple city (or what was left of one riding on the back of one of these. A giant wandering city or platform (like on the backs of the Lord of the Ring mammoths, or even the smaller hoowdas of the Stegadons...Or make this into a war beast carrying troops, terradon landing nest, smaller platforms with bolt throwers and poison darts etc..

Thoughts?

(P.S. I have a 12 inch Storm Trooper "figure / doll" for store credit from this Dewback for any star war fans out there)
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
I think that thing has potential.  It looks better than I imagined.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »
My overall concept... not sure how it might come out though....

Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Serring

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Re: Something Big this way comes....(update Dec 24th)
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
This is were Ethereal comes in handy ;)

Also I think that there should be an engine of the gods on that thing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:12:33 AM by Serring »

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 12:12:10 AM »
Its great because forgeworld has a Chaos War Mammoth model for seiges.  This guy looks like he would be a great Lizardman equivalent.

As for rules, I would adapt the weaponry used on the stegadons.  I wouldn't go to more advanced, maybe shoot for more options because this beast can carry more.  As for a stat line check out the fire dragon stats from the rule book.  Low Leadership but more wounds.

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
Here are my thoughts....(borrowed from a post I found and modified)

Thunder Lizard = 1400pts (not including weapons)
M WS BS  S   T  W   I   A   LD
8   5    0  10  8  10  1   6    5 (*9 Slann Driver)

Type:
Monsterious Creature
Special Rules:
* Slann Driver (Must have a Slann driver, This Slann can only cast 1 speel and can not cast any offensive spells since he must concentrate completely on keeping the Thunder Lizard under control.)
* 6D6 + 1 Impact Hits
* 2+ Scaly Skin Save
* Terror
* Devastating Charge
* Large Target
* Multiple Wounds (D6)
* Cold Blooded
* Unbreakable
* Thunder Stomp
* Uncontrollable
* Trample Terrain
* Massive
* I Think you made it mad!
* Thick Hide
* Trample, Stomp...
* Thunder Roar
* Siege Tower

Uncontrollable: If the driver is killed, At the begging of every Lizardmen turn, the Thunder Lizard must take a leadership test. If it is passed you control the beast as normal. If it is failed the beast breaks free of its control and charges the nearest visible unit (friend or foe!). Next turn you roll a D6 to attempt to regain control. For each spell caster you have you can reduce the target number by 1 (if you do so they can not cast magic this round) Now roll a D6, 1-3 you have failed to regain control and it continues its rampage. 4-6 and you have successfully regained control. If you failed then it must once again charge the nearest visible unit and next turn you must attempt to regain control only this time on 5+ and it decreases every turn it stays out of control until it reaches 7+. It has gone beyond all reach and it remains out of control for the rest of the game.

Massive: The thought of killing something this gargantuan with a single blow is laughable. The Thunder Lizard is immune to Killing Blow and Heroic Killing Blow. Also subtract 3 from the amount of wounds an attack would cause if it causes multiple wound, to a minimum of 1. Poisons are also less effective against the Thunder Lizard due to the amount of time it takes to travel through its bloodstream and take effect. If a poisoned attack rolls a 6 to hit it merely gains +2 to its roll to wound instead. While its size makes it harder to kill it makes it easier to see. Any shooting attacks gain +2 to hit against the Thunder Lizard.

Trample Terrain: A Thunder Lizard is capable of trampling terrain under foot as it advances across the battlefield. Terrain does not effect the Thunder Lizard. Before the game begins, decide which terrain the Thunder Lizard can crush and how easily it can. A simple forest may only be a 2+ while a fortress wall could be a 5+. If it is passed remove the piece of terrain from the board. Troops garrisoning a trampled building immediately take D6 Strength 6 hits per level of the buliding. A unit in trampled terrain merely suffers D3 strength 3 hits.

I think you made it mad…: If an uncontrolled Thunder Lizard suffers an unsaved wounds from a shooting attack it immediately moves D3 inches towards the unit that caused it.

Thick Hide: Even if you pierce the Thunder Lizard’s scales there is still a chance that you won’t cut deep enough to do damage. A Thunder Lizard has a 5+ Ward save.

DAMAGE: Damage against the Thunder Lizard is rolled as on the Stegadon hit table (crew or beast). If you roll and it hits a platform randomize the hit with a D6 there are 6 platforms so assign a number to each for the game.  Specific platforms can be targeted for -2 to hit and then roll against the Stegadon d6 table to see if you hit the beast or the crew. Troops riding a Thunder Lizard are immune to psychology and do not take panic tests, they have nowhere to run!

Trample, Stomp...: The Thunder Lizard can not be stopped by units who engage it in Hand to hand Combat.  A unit that attacks or is attacked by a Thunder Lizard sustains 1D6+* (* = the rank bonus of the unit being attacked) Strength 10 hits. Work out damage and saves as normal. Each turn the Thunder Lizard and continue to move on causing stomp attacks. Those models that engage the Thunder Lizard in Melee Combat will be allowed to wheel and attack the Sides of the beast for as long as it remains touching their bases. Because of the height of the Thunder Lizard all units that are in Melee with the Thunder Lizard as still able to be targeted from ranged weapons from the javelins and blow guns from the Skinks aboard.

Thunder Roar: The Thunder Lizard's roar will break all enemies in contact with it. Deafeningly loud and terrifying neither the Thunder Lizard nor any units in contact with it actually fight if they have not already done so this turn. The Thunder Lizard’s side automatically wins the combat round. The enemy must make a break test with a –1 modifier.

Siege Tower: The Mammoth is so tall that troops in the howdah can use it as a siege tower, and can exit the howdah onto castle battlements and towers as if it was a siege tower.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:40:05 AM by StrategicCommand »
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »
Does anyone have feedback about the rule set?
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com