Author Topic: Something Big this way comes (*Update July 29th*)  (Read 16664 times)

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
Re: Something Big this way comes....(***Update June 24th***)
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
Ok folks...sorry for the long delay in posting.... here is what is completed (Pics coming soon)

All 25 skinks for the army on the jungle floor (PAINTED)

10 of them will be sealed in resin (the river) the other 15 will be running through the jungle

All 6 Terradons have been painted

Only 15 more skinks to paint from the Howdah platforms.

Then the whole month of July is being dedicated to the trees, bushes and other aspects of the over all project.

Then its off to Games Day in Chicago.

Anyone going to be there?
Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
Re: Something Big this way comes....(***Update June 24th***)
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2011, 01:23:59 AM »
Ok so here are the pictures as promised......

Here are my Skinks running in the river section.....(I will be touching up their feet and fixing some details but they are read for the Resin river to flow around them...about waist high.)

Here are my Skinks running through the jungle:

My Saurus Cavalry with Banner:

Here are a few shots of the Skinks on the Howdahs... (Clean up and detailing to follow)

YES YES YES I will be making the trees looks less PLASTIC and FAKE.  That is the task for all of July.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:25:51 AM by StrategicCommand »
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Shadow76

• Heroic Tier Level 3
Re: Something Big this way comes (*Update June 25th*)
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
i assume you are bringing this to GD.   with u taking a plane how are u going to transport it?

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
I am building at custom crate for the display board and its going under the plane. The Thunder Lizard is my "1" Carry On.  With a backpack for clothes and travel items.
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
The Thunder Lizard is DONE!!!!

The Troops are DONE!!!!

The River is poured and Skinks set in resin!!!!

Only things left are touch up on models, some terrain paint ups and all the TREES!!!!!! Lots of them....

Here for your eyes....and comments please...

Please let me know your thoughts....
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Re: Something Big this way comes (*Update June 29th*)
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
not gonna lie, when you first told us your plans for that dewback, i thought you were crazy and... i was right. this is such an awesome example of hobby insanity, it is truly a credit to your dedication, modelling, and painting skill. i especially love the skink crew, they look exceptionally barbaric with the sacrificial daggers and headdresses. i'm not to crazy about the driver's steg hat, but everything else looks great. well done, can't wait to see it in person.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:53 AM »
You know my opinions, Mike.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
I love this community....everyone of your comments and suggestions is really helping this become more then just a display....but a real dynamic scene.  One of my best buds suggested that I make a sling for my Terradons to carry rocks since bending and manipulating the metal model would be difficult and not look completely correct... So with this is mind I came up with this.....

Now to go along this theme I have the Rock pile loading platform on the tail of the Thunder Lizard.  It now supports a staff of 1 Skink who holds up the harnesses for the Terradons to swoop in and grab to rearm.

And of course you need some supplies with that so take a look here....

Your thoughts?

I will be working on adding some moving water trails and effects to the river, and the trees will all be airbrushed. and inked.  More to come....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:39:50 AM by StrategicCommand »
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
Re: Something Big this way comes (*Update July 29th*)
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »
Well packed and ready to go... Plane leaves at 11:00am then off to Games day... for those of you waiting for pictures I will be taking them and uploading from Games Day.  For those others that wanted to see the rules... here is the most up to date rules for the Thunder Lizard using a lot of information from the Storms of Magic.

I hope you enjoy them...

Thunder Lizard = 700pts

Little is known about the solitary Thunder Lizards. They roam the jungles of Lustria peacefully grazing on large swathes of rainforest trees and foliage. There is little chance of seeing one of these rare beasts in a lifetime of exploration, but those that do tremble at its size and sheer strength. Now with the Storms of Magick once again rippling across the World of Warhammer, these creatures have heard their calling within the Great Plan of the Old Ones. And they have made their way to temple cities where they now carry the Lizardman armies to battle.

M   WS   BS   S   T   W   I   A   LD
8   6   0   10   10   12   2   6   5/*9
(*Thunder Lizard uses the Slann’s LD while he is alive, if purchased)

Type:
Monstrous Creature

Special Rules:

* Slann Driver
* 10D6 + 1 Impact Hits
* 2+ Scaly Skin Save
* Terror
* Devastating Charge
* Large Target
* Multiple Wounds (D6)
* Cold Blooded
* Unbreakable
* Thunder Stomp
* Uncontrollable
* Trample Terrain
* Massive
* “I think you made it mad!”
* Thick Hide
* Trample, Stomp...
* Thunder Roar
* Siege Tower

Slann Driver: If equipped with platforms, the Thunder Lizard must have a Slann driver; This Slann can only cast one spell per turn and cannot cast any offensive spells since he must concentrate completely on keeping the Thunder Lizard under control.

Uncontrollable: If the driver is killed, at the beginning of every Lizardmen turn, the Thunder Lizard must take a leadership test. If it is passed you control the beast as normal. If it is failed, the beast breaks free of its control and charges the nearest visible unit (friend or foe!). Next turn you roll a D6 to attempt to regain control. For each spell caster you have you can reduce the target number by 1 (if you do so they cannot cast magic this round). Now roll a D6, on a 4+ you have successfully regained control. If you failed then it must once again charge the nearest visible unit and next turn you must attempt to regain control only this time on 5+ and it decreases every turn it stays out of control until it reaches 7+. It has gone beyond all reach and it remains out of control for the rest of the game.

Massive: The thought of killing something this gargantuan with a single blow is laughable. The Thunder Lizard is immune to Killing Blow and Heroic Killing Blow. Also subtract 3 from the amount of wounds an attack would cause if it causes multiple wounds, to a minimum of 1. Poisons are also less effective against the Thunder Lizard due to the amount of time it takes to travel through its bloodstream and take effect. If a poisoned attack rolls a 6 to hit it merely gains +2 to its roll to wound instead. While its size makes it harder to kill it makes it easier to see. Any shooting attacks gain +2 to hit against the Thunder Lizard.

Trample Terrain: A Thunder Lizard is capable of trampling terrain under foot as it advances across the battlefield. Terrain does not affect the Thunder Lizard. Before the game begins, decide which terrain the Thunder Lizard can crush and how easily it can. A simple forest may only be a 2+ while a fortress wall could be a 5+. If it is passed remove the piece of terrain from the board. Troops garrisoning a trampled building immediately take D6 Strength 6 hits per level of the building.

“I think you made it mad!…”: If an uncontrolled Thunder Lizard suffers any unsaved wounds from a shooting attack it immediately moves D6 inches towards the unit that caused it.

Thick Hide: Even if you pierce the Thunder Lizard’s scales, there is still a chance that you won’t cut deep enough to do damage. A Thunder Lizard has a 5+ Ward save.

Damage: Damage against the Thunder Lizard is rolled as on the Stegadon hit table (crew or beast). If you roll and it hits a platform, randomize the hit with a D6. There are 6 platforms so assign a number to each for the game.  Specific platforms can be targeted for -2 to hit and then roll against the Stegadon D6 table to see if you hit the beast or the targeted platform. Troops riding a Thunder Lizard are immune to psychology and do not take panic tests.

Trample, Stomp...: The Thunder Lizard cannot be stopped by units who engage it in Hand to Hand Combat.  A unit that attacks or is attacked by a Thunder Lizard sustains 1D6+* Strength 10 hits (* = the ranks of the unit being attacked.) Work out damage and saves as normal. Each turn the Thunder Lizard moves will cause stomp attacks. Those models that engage the Thunder Lizard in Melee Combat will be allowed to wheel and attack the Sides of the beast for as long as it remains touching their bases. Because of the height of the Thunder Lizard all units that are in Melee with the Thunder Lizard as still able to be targeted from ranged weapons from the javelins and blow guns from the Skinks aboard.

Thunder Roar: (ONCE PER GAME) The Thunder Lizard's roar will break all enemies and non lizardman on the board.  So deafening, loud and terrifying that all enemies or armies other them Lizardmen must make an immediate leadership check at a -4 modifier. If enemy units break and runs they run in a random direction per the scatter die arrow 2d6 inches. If enemy or ally units were in close combat and flee but their opponent passed their LD check they may attempt to pursue and cut down the terrified enemies. The following round all units fleeing can regroup and roll to reform.

Siege Tower: The Thunder Lizard is so tall that troops on the platforms can use it as a siege tower and can exit them onto castle battlements and towers as if it was a siege tower.

Optional Equipment:
Slann Driver (1): 100pts If any additional upgrades are purchased you MUST purchase the Slann Driver.
Poison Spitter Howdahs (2):  100pts see page 55 in the Warhammer Armies Book for stats
Terradon Roost and Rock Bin (3):  30pts each
Skink Priests: (up to four extra): 65pts+ extras see Page 93 in Warhammer Armies Book.
Skink Braves: (up to four extra): 8pts
Tail Skull Spike Weapon:  25pts
The Supreme Engine of the Gods (1):  75pts Much like the regular engine of the gods but stronger. 
•   The Supreme Arcane Configuration: Choose any two (2) Lores of Magic from the Warhammer rulebook. All casting values for the spells from those lores are reduced by four (4). These effects last until the beginning of the player’s next Magic phase. 
•   The Supreme Burning Alignment: All enemy units within 4D6” even if engaged in close combat take 2D6 Strength 8 hits with no armour save allowed. Undead, Daemons, and Forest Spirits units take 2D6 Strength 9 hits with no armour save allowed.
•   The Portent of Warding: All friendly units within 12” receive a 3+ ward save from any ranged attacks that originate from more than 12” away.
•   Power of the Supreme Engine of the Gods:  All Skink priests that are on the SEotG are counted as a wizard two levels higher for the purpose of generation power dice and dispel dice. And for determining the maximum number of dice he may use to cast a spell.
•   The Supreme Solar Apex: Three per game (starting in the second turn and skipping a turn to recharge) the SEotG can harness the direct force of the sun, and focus it thought the crystal power source. The resulting super heated beam of blinding light will hit all units, structures, and terrain directly ahead, there is no max distance for this. The beam is 6” wide and can be fired at a slight angle if needed. Use the front arc of the weapons gat to determine the max angle. All units that are struck suffers 4D6 Strength 5 hits and will have their BS score halved from blindness for the next shooting phase. All structures are destroyed and any units inside take 5D6 Strength 5 hits from the crumbling masonry as it collapses on them.  Wooden terrain is burned to ash this includes forests, houses, huts etc. Stone is blasted apart and a path of scorched earth is all that remains.
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
i think its a little undercosted- considering it costs as much as a tricked out greater daemon AND can carry a slann with that insane engine of the gods- but its a great ruleset nonetheless. are there still any plans to use this thing in a game? i know a couple other guys that would be able to easily field 20k of warriors of chaos, daemons, and beastmen and would be happy to try to coordinate the "chaos" side of the battle.

Shadow76

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Im there to support he LM side of the battle.    BTW,  how did the Games day go?  Any reconignition?

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
I took first place in the last minute qualifier and ended up in the finals and I took second best army in the US and Canada :)
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com