Author Topic: Two lists, one choice.  (Read 1816 times)

skavengear

Two lists, one choice.
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
so, i hit big on the lotto and am able to buy my idrian skrimishers and assault squads for warhammer. this leaves my birthday on otober to finally dig in deep to fantasy. these are the two lists ive been toying over starting. could anyone give me an idea of where to go from the shell i post and how the army would/does work?

orcs n goblins - a list comprised of purely the night goblin regiments (if possible) and 3 (im 99% sure i read that was max) fanatics in each group with a full command and either a shaman or azhag the slaughterer for a leader. azhag i think i wont be able to use, he looks expensive so in the new rules id have to put him in a big game.

chaos warriors - lots of the chaos warriors, seperated into half slanesh with sword and shield and the other half two cc weapons with mark of khorne. mark of nurgle and tzeench looked unimpressive. also a small (10 or so) group of chaos knights with the blasting magic banner. the leader would be a daemon prince with swallow whole or a nice magic weapon if i can field him.

im looking at 1250 - 1500 points only for now to learn the game (dont want to make the mistake i did in 40k where i bought 2000 points of suck then had to replace it all haha). if you give a list suggestion based on my ideas, please note a budget of $200 maximum

thank you,
~Dave

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
Re: Two lists, one choice.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »

orcs n goblins - a list comprised of purely the night goblin regiments (if possible) and 3 (im 99% sure i read that was max) fanatics in each group with a full command and either a shaman or azhag the slaughterer for a leader. azhag i think i wont be able to use, he looks expensive so in the new rules id have to put him in a big game.
(dont want to make the mistake i did in 40k where i bought 2000 points of suck then had to replace it all haha).
thank you,
~Dave

well I'm not going to give you a list right off, but some advice, stay away from a NG list.  From what I've seen from 40k this list will frustrate you to the point of screaming. WOC is a more forgiving army for a beginner, and that's probably a good place to start. Maybe you can talk to someone like Murph who is in the store more often, prehaps they will let you use their army to get a feel for what you really want before you drop any cash :)

just a thought,
Cheers,
Alan

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

skavengear

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:52 AM »
huh, i thought they looked cool, i saw the big fantasy tournament at the store last month and there were a few orc goblin lists they all had big piles of fanatics.

so what is a "meat and potatoes" WOC list roughly? was i pretty close? if i just bought warriors and the daemon prince i dont think i could go wrong since they are the core of the army and i looked through the book and he was my favorite general. also like the idea of chaos knights of khorne with the banner of wrath so i have a mobile shooting attack.

is there a limit to how many magic items/banners you can field in this edition? because i was thinking banner of wrath on everything last edition but i remember someone saying i could only do one magic banner and no duplicates.

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:59:13 AM »
At 1500pts, you're going to be severly limited in the amount of warriors you can field, and characters, especially for a warriors of chaos list. At a max value of 375pts, its unlikely you'd fit your daemon prince in(who by the way can only take the daemonic gifts, no actual magic items).

The book tells you if and how much magic items/banners your units/characters can take, so I'd suggest a good readthrough on the entries for that. For example your hero level characters (exalted hero/sorcerer) can take a max value of 50pts of items. This could be one powerful item or a combonation of a few items. Take notice however that you can only take one of each type (ie one magic weapon, one piece of magic armor, and so on.) Also note that if your character takes a magic weapon, he will use it in favor of any non magic equipment you give him. (say you give him a sword of battle and a greatweapon, he has to use the sword of battle because its a point of pride)
Last but not least you can only have one of any magic item, you can't take two Runeswords for instance.

Meat and potatoes in a WoC list is solid blocks of chaos warriors, followed by a few screening units of marauders and warhouds. A unit of Tzeencth warriors with shields now has a 3+ armor save and a 5+ ward in close combat, making them more durable than before. There are many combos you can pull off, thats just one example.

Hope that was helpful, but in the end, simply playing and learning by mistakes is much more helpful.
Ben

skavengear

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
ok that was what i needed clarified. so i can take any number of magic items in a list, but eacg group can only have one under each type and no copies.

my guess now is a sorcerer of some type. i heard fear was nasty this version so slanesh marks are good for the immunity. i may be able to play m prince once i hit 2000  ;D

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
ok that was what i needed clarified. so i can take any number of magic items in a list, but eacg group can only have one under each type and no copies.

Not exactly, you are limited by options. Such as a chaos warrior unit can carry a banner up to 50pts, but a unit of Marauders cannot take a magical banner. It says with each unit entry, who can take a magic item/banner.

Fear however isn't nearly as scary as the good old days, or terror for that matter. However, in my opinion, Slaanesh certainly has one of the most useful lores, though lacking against armies that are immune to psychology, ie VC and TK

skavengear

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:45 PM »
right, i knew that part i have the codex/army book for orcs and WOC at home.

my thoughts are to buy 4 units of 20 warriors and play one of each god (leave arms off) and see which i like then finish modeling and write up a solid list. you are correct, the prince is tough to even fit at 2000 points. im gonna go for a naked sorc and a hero. as for the chaos knights, they will be 10 strong with a banner of wrath full command and mok. the gods of chaos will it so  ;)