Author Topic: The time has come...  (Read 6965 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
The time has come...
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
So yeah, the time has come for me to experiment with this whole "painting and modeling" thing I keep hearing about.

Thursday afternoons are pretty slow for me in Plainville and I figure I should spend my time doing something related to the hobby.

Anyways, I've decided I'm going to try to paint some models but I don't *really* know what I need to get going.

Please recommend me a GW brush or two that I should use if I plan to paint normal, Space Marine sized models.  I know Paul uses a standard brush exclusively but it seems sort of big to me.  Should I go with the standard brush and a fine detail brush?

For those interested... I think I'm going to try painting a couple Bane Thralls (Privateer Press models).  If that works out I might try an Eldar model or two.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Commissar Grey

• God
Re: The time has come...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »

Congratulations, Chase, its been a long time coming!!  First, you should prime the figure in either white or black depending upon the color scheme you have chosen.  A standard brush is fine, but if you are planning to do any details, I would also get a fine brush too.  We can talk more on Wednesday.  See you then.

John

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »
In the GW brush line, I use the Detail and Fine Detail brushes exclusively. I really like them.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:34:38 AM »
for space marines i only use 2 brushes...a detail brush and a basecoat sized brush (note: i havent painted a space marine in months, but this is all you really need)

skavengear

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »
standard and fine detail works best for me. so does this mean eventually youll play these said "space marine sized models"?  ;D

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
I am a big fan of the base coat brush and the detail brush.

I tend to "speed paint" and "over brush" my models.

Speed painting and over brushing go hand and hand.  Basically, you use broader strokes and more paint on the brush and clean up mistakes later.  The detail brush is great for the little stray brush strokes.  Also for little details that need finer lines.

Paul tends to do speed painting on a much more controlled manner which means he has great looking models in a tiny amount of time.

Another thing to consider:  Is it more important for a model to look good at 1-2 feet away or 6 inches away?  It's something to consider because even a great paint job can look off from 1-2 feet because of all the fine detail and the way people perceive all the detail from that distance where as a slightly poorer quality one can look awesome at 1-2 feet but messy at 6 inches.

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
This shits hard yo...

I like that I got a box of 10 plastic ones, glued em all, primed them all, now I can work on them one by one and see what works well and what I dont want to do again on the next.

The biggest downside? Being around minis all the time and continually telling yourself you need to finish the ones you have before buying more :)
Luckily I don't play any army games so I can just buy ones i think are cute for my own amusement. I don't know how you are not going to end up with a ton of them Chase!
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
only advice i can give is a pitfall i get into all the time... dont start more then you can handle.

meaning pick up a box/pack/single and do those start to finish.  Too many times i grab a mini put it together, let it sit for a week in that time i have bought another box and put those together... and so the first one sits undone and this repeats until i am looking at a desk full of half made/primed/half painted figs
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

skavengear

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »
Luckily I don't play any army games so I can just buy ones i think are cute for my own amusement.

Sooner or later you will, they all said they wouldnt play warhammer and they all lied  ;D

I wouldnt use the word "cute" for daemonettes...  ::)

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
First, Daemonettes are cute, and now I feel compelled my next one pink w/sparkles. I don't actully like any of the armies enough to paint a full one, D&D and WoW cards are enough games for me :)

Second,
So Chase, now that we have taken over your thread...

Have you painted anything? I was going to ask you last night but you were there for like 5 minutes and it was packed with people. BTW; the new chairs are nice.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
http://www.exlibrismortis.org/

Click on the Sisters of Battle on the side scroll bar.

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
http://www.exlibrismortis.org/

Click on the Sisters of Battle on the side scroll bar.

That is awesome, thanks :)  I feel more motivated to make some fierce fashionable deamons now!

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
No problem, there is also a Space Marine Strawberry SHortcake army, just couldn't find the link for it and am too lazy to go looking that much.

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
No problem, there is also a Space Marine Strawberry SHortcake army, just couldn't find the link for it and am too lazy to go looking that much.

Luck me I'm avoiding work in a nearly empty office :)
http://www.dakkadakka.com/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/65/Alexander%20Fennell%20-%20Adepticon%202007-10.JPG

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
Do you remember when you were a kid and you colored Easter Eggs by dipping them in bowls of different colored dyes?  That's kind of how I paint, and I recommend it to you too!
"Oooh, it looks like the Russians are burning"
   -- Chase

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
     -- Winston Churchill