Author Topic: Annual Megabattle Thread of Doom v2.011  (Read 13081 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Annual Megabattle Thread of Doom v2.011
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »
Can we put a rule into play that if you don't have a hard copy IN HAND of your data sheet, Imperial Armour rules, etc. You don't get to use it?

I don't think that having a laptop in the corner with your Imperial Armour pdfs counts as a 'hard copy'.

This was and will be a hard, fast rule.  I'm pretty sure I explicitly said that you MUST have a hard copy of your rules present with you at the Megabattle last year and if you were not able to produce them then you model would be removed from the table.

If I somehow did not write that into the rules last year it will DEFINITELY be in this year.  Busting out your laptop in the middle of the Megabattle is ridiculous.

Hard copy or no model!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

DarkAngelsGuy

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2010, 11:38:18 PM »
Some copies are becoming hard to obtain via internet. It is possible to copy word for word and have it typed out on a printed word document and in hand?
I like to go home, pour some whiskey, and have a surplus of units to pick from.

You are a scholar.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2010, 04:11:47 AM »
Some copies are becoming hard to obtain via internet. It is possible to copy word for word and have it typed out on a printed word document and in hand?

If you plan to use a datasheet that is not in the Apocalypse book, Apocalypse Reload, or an Imperial Armour book it must be posted in the other thread for review (and is generally discouraged, but hey, it's why that thread is there in the first place).

If you have posted something there and it has been approved, then you're all set.  You will be expected to have the book or at least a photocopy of the datasheet with you.  This is an absolute requirement.

In the VERY rare case that your datasheet is custom made then you can type it up and bring it to the Megabattle.  I'd like to see that not happen.

I think it's important to note that the presence of the other thread does not open up the entire internet as a resource for datasheets.  We want to be extremely strict about everything we allow, especially in terms of datasheets.  It is strongly recommended that each player use datasheets presented in the Apoc book, Apoc Reload, or Imperial Armour books.  In extremely rare cases, like Mike Salzmans Aqua Marine Titans, custom datasheets might be required and permitted.  Way more than half the reason why this has been allowed in the past is because his models are badass.

There is a very fine line between allowing things that seem appropriate and "cool" and allowing things that make the game seem silly or stupid.  Help me help everyone and please try to respect that.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
This is where "counts as" does wonders.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
This is where "counts as" does wonders.

Trust me, I would ABSOLUTELY prefer that and used to suggest it.  You model building guys like to be "creative", "different", and "original" though.  ;)

I think there is room for creative, different, and original.  The problem arises when we allow one person to do their thing.  It sets a precedent. 

Personally, I have no problem with Mike's Aqua Marines.  I like the models a lot, I like the way the datasheets were handled (critiqued by this community), and I think they made for a very cool addition to the event.  The fact that they have been present in at least of of the 3 Megabattles does hurt either.  But now we've got people like Alex Moon, who want to field "Blood Ravens", a chapter out of a video game.  This chapter apparently can be good guys or bad guys, has fan generated datasheets, special characters, etc.  Do we let that in?  Surely someone could justify us doing so if we let the Aqua Marines do their thing.  I happen to view the two armies VERY differently.  Allowing Moon to use his Blood Ravens as "Blood Ravens" and take the fan generated datasheets, special characters, etc. sets a precedent that I strictly DO NOT want set.

This sort of thing is viewed in many different ways by different people participating in the event.  It puts us in a crappy position.  Whatever the outcome is people end up disappointed.

It would be much, much easier to use "Counts As" for everything not in Apoc,  Apoc Reload, or IA.

Is the potential for "cool" greater than the ease of "Counts As"?  Certainly not from where I'm sitting.  I'm sure Paul would disagree though, and if done right in a small number of instances, I can see myself reconsidering... which is why we leave things open ended...

What got played in last years Megabattle that was not out of Apoc, Reload, or IA?  Just the Aqua Marine datasheets?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I believe it was only the aqua marines.

Also, when he fielded them, he used Codex: Space Marines.

He also based his titans off of existing datasheets and was very open to critiques.  Blood Ravens don't need a new army list, just a crap load of sorcerors if evil or librarians if good.

There are also tons of "official" variant land raiders that could easily be utilized.

deathwatch101

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2010, 01:02:02 AM »
chase the only reason i suggested that i could go good or chaos was to try and even the numbers out in case ppl dropped like last year and as for the land raider variant i just wanted opinions and to see if it was fair for play would i like to bring it to mega battle yea will i bitch and moan if i cant nope i can bring other things if need be but i just wanted to see if i could

btw not angry while posting this just so u know in case it sounds like im heated
Knowledge is Power,Guard it Well

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »
It didn't sound like you were heated, just out of breath.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »
It didn't sound like you were heated, just out of breath.

Agreed.  I don't know how I could ever talk without pausing like that.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:07 AM »
Moon, I love you.  Don't sweat it, homie.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
Moon if you really want blood angels. Try presenting the other thred with a Data sheet that has a unit of Librarians and as a group they do something special. Example: Must have 3 Librarians one must have the upgrade to have a second psychic power. They are not independent charecters and must remain within coherency until only one is left which becomes indipendent. Special Rule: For every Librarian in the unit up to a maximum of 5 Psychic powers become easier to cast or something.

Your trying ot hard to think out side of the box. Think out side it just not to far out side it. If you want to represent your blood angels fluff wise look for little details like the Libraian squad that is mentioned in the book or a Librarian Dreadnaught wich oh look is an official unit in Codex: Blood Angels.  I suggest look at your fluff and find something small to make your army stand out and show its fluff and then submitt it to the committee for approval. Also try to nor change stats or make new weapons etc. Use what you got in the Codecies.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »
I'm going to field a Steve D. for the megabattle.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »

I thought we had agreed on no Primarchs?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
This event should be retitled Ultimate Kitten Herding Showdown.
beep bop boop

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »

I thought we had agreed on no Primarchs?
No.... I'd say Steve would be more accurately represented by the Emperor himself, who technically, isn't a Primarch.  Can we get a datasheet for this? ;)
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70