Author Topic: Filler, Where to Get, How to Use, Recommendations?  (Read 1624 times)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Filler, Where to Get, How to Use, Recommendations?
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »
A bunch of the Flames of War books mention using filler on bases and I really like the results.  I'm a complete noob with this (and painting/modeling in general) and am grateful for any suggestions.  What brand/type is the best to get?  Where can I find that/ballpark cost?  How should I apply it?  How newbie friendly is it?

Pitfalls I should avoid?
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Haight

Re: Filler, Where to Get, How to Use, Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »
You should be able to get filler at any Do It Yourself store (home depot, lowe's etc).   You will probably want Ready-mix filler, not the kind you have to mix yourself.

It's a construction material used to fill gaps, even out two substrates, etc.  It's pliable which is why modelers like to use it.

Just head to one of the above stores and ask where the ready-mix filler is - they should be able to help you out.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
I did some searching online and ended up purchasing two products.  I'm not sure if I got the right items.  The first is Elmer's Wood Filler  I got the Walnut colored one for interiors.  I also picked up a container of DryDex Dry Time Indicator Spackling.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Haight

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
The spackling is probably what you are looking for - at least, its what i've used in the past.

Wood filler, not so sure... i've never used it, so i can't speak to it.  Hopefully it works! :)

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:57:57 AM »
I'm thinking that I'll try both and do a review of the products for my blog and podcast.