Author Topic: Magic: the gateway drug?  (Read 1756 times)

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
Magic: the gateway drug?
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:49:25 AM »
After getting bored and browsing the regulars page i've noticed that magic seems to be a common theme for drawing people into the gaming community.Thus, is Magic the Gathering really the gateway drug into the shadowy light deprived world of gaming and hoards of d20's?

discuss please, i bet someone has some interesting thoughts
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: Magic: the gateway drug?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
Mine was Yugioh.  ::)
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:33:46 AM »
I def started with Limited and Unlimited for Magic.  But I got into that because of comics and baseball cards.  Go figure.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
For me, it was definitely Magic that launched me into the world of gaming.  If it weren't for MTG, I never would've made some of the friends I have today, or grown as strong of a connection to certain individuals that have turned out to be great friends to me now.  Whether it was playing MTG casually at my friends house, or competitively at a tournament in the local store, playing MTG was what exposed me to the world of gaming, which eventually led to all the other aspects of gaming that I enjoy now, even more so than MTG at this point.

The most notable new game for me, of course, was D&D.  I've only been playing it for about 2 years now, and since I've started, I feel that it's brought great entertainment and relaxation to my life; an escape, if you will.  My friends back home, who were, and still are hardcore gamers would say that "they live in the the fantasy world, and play in the real world".  It took me awhile to understand what that meant, but after living in the so-called "fantasy world" for awhile with them, I think I understand now.  At least a little...
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70