Author Topic: Thinking of Dark Eldar Competitive list  (Read 2135 times)

skavengear

Re: Thinking of Dark Eldar Competitive list
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
jeff, i would seriously give the homunculi the arcane weaponry. the archangel is really strong and the one (forgot name) that kills psykers. theres alot of great stuff there, even for the cost.

also, i would divide the hellions into two slots

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »
My thinking on the syrab was the LD upgrade, but you're right an 8 is good enough, and if someone gets to them in hth most likely there gone anyways.

I was looking at some of the arcane stuff, you like the antipskyer wargear, might be worthwhile especailly with all the space puppy's rolling around now, but anti-psyker stuff in a tourney situation is hit or miss, almost not worth it because you can't predict what your going to play against.

Steve your right with the wyche upgrade, though 1 powerweapon with the agonizer would be nice, it is pricey with the sarg upgrade and weapon, could save points by just going with another gauntlet. Only downside is the ld drop to 8. Which in hth can make a differance. Is it usally one sided in hth with wyches?

Strangley enough the biggest problem is picking which troops to take. I have the homeculus and the baron which allow wracks and hellions as troops. Was thinking that hellions over wracks as troops especially with the webway.

Like Troy said, I'm thinking about dropping down to 4 venom's w/ 3xtrueborn and 1 wrack with webway and dropping a unit of wracks to make space for more hellions or wyches for the portal.

You think 2 x5 hellions would be better than 1x 10x?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:20:10 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
I was meaning drop the Warriors Sybarite upgrade and use those points for the extra Guantlet. An agoniser is allways usefull, also if you can spare 10 more pts get the Phantasm Nade Launcher then they are even more annoying to people when they charge you.

Well if you do that with Hellions then are you going to give each a sarge with stunclaw? if so thats more pts than you have now. It might be more manuverable since the smaller units have less of a foot print for line of sight, but they still only have a 5+ save and less models means they will die quicker.

Also remember the Venoms can't pop out of the Webway Portal anymore, no vehicles can use them.

skavengear

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
I would do my list the same way but with the archangel and anti psyker, 1 more homunculus with something cool. And 6 units of 5 hellions to spread myself out but still have speed and durability. Also keep in mind ba are still in the power 3 and according to many polls mephiston is a very popular hq. This makes anti psyker great since you also Can take out nid's synapse stuff

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
Hellions have no real durability outside and inside of combat T3/5+Sv. They are a fun unit but if that was all the opponent brought as troops I would have a field day as I look at an easy win. The anti-psyker stuff is nice but the downside to a lot of it is you must be close to the target and its One Shot, so its really hit or miss and for the armies that run no psykers thats a lot of points tied up in useless gear.

skavengear

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
Aren't hellions the ones that can hit and run and kidnap a model when they do or am I thinking of something else? Because that seems like a window for a lot of abuse in a competitive list. At least consider the archangel if you're taking witches. Imagine the look on a blood angel players face when all their assault units drop to i1. Also, think about the value of baron be cause dark eldar got slot of brutal hq characters to dish out.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »
Skaven,

I think you are focusing your creation on only 1 aspect of the DE.  Hit and run is a nice skill but if you only have 5 in a sqaud how likely are they to get away with a IC?  Not likely I would say.  Also dropping the Initiave of an army against DE I think is a waste.  Mainly because most DE will strike before every other army anyway.

For a fun themed list I think you may have something going for you.  But a competative list I think the hellion trick will be much harder to pull off and vulnerable to being shut down early.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

skavengear

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
True grim. I like the troop layout you have too Jeff. Wuches are a combat unit de are more finese and shooty. I would play to your strengths rather than covering up weaknesses. The one Wycherley squad will do better than 3 or 4

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
I was meaning drop the Warriors Sybarite upgrade and use those points for the extra Guantlet. An agoniser is allways usefull, also if you can spare 10 more pts get the Phantasm Nade Launcher then they are even more annoying to people when they charge you.

Taking a sybarite in a warrior squad is not a bad idea if they take a envenomed blade? (2+)  If the squad is designed to hold an objective, giving them a bit more in the way  of aggresive defense is not a bad idea.  But I also like the idea of the phantasm.

We'll see..
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)