Author Topic: [Megabattle] Custom Model / Datasheet / Idea Approval Thread  (Read 57519 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: [Megabattle] Custom Model / Datasheet / Idea Approval Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
I agree very much with this. As far as the min range for titans it would probably be best to measure from the feet like Chase said is a possibility otherwise people might customize titans to lean over so they can shoot closer to their feet.

I'd be content with measuring titan's range from their feet.

Changing rules is far too much a slippery slope.  Measuring from the feet require the shot to originate from the feet as well.

How about we not modify the 40k rules much more than necessary. The measuring from the feet changes the way TLOS works.  Since 5th edition relies on it, wouldn't that be a little odd?

I guess if we are measuring distance and LOS from the toes, we can resolve that every weapon but D would give people cover saves.  Also, guardsmen would give the marines behind them cover saves from the vulkan megabolter mounted on their carapace...

OR

We could use 5th edition rules.
Measure distances from the gun.
Use TLOS.
Problem solved.

Now for the explanation as to why it is solved:
TLOS basically forces the gun to be aimed downward.  An emperor titan / warlord cannot be made to be leaning over and look "badass" or "cool"  So the only real way it can aim is slightly downward or straight forward.  We allow for the 45 degree angle swivel up and down and suddenly the rules resolve themselves.

We can do the math if you like but it's pretty obvious without trig to know you won't be able to shoot at the titans feet with carapace weapons by the rules as written.

skavengear

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Im on rich's side with this, for the reason that i HATE trig, but also, why woudnt a 4000 point titan's crew be smart enough to point their gun down? i mean wouldnt that be obvious to do?

the 45 degree arc gives it the ability to shoot down while also not allowing it to shoot at its feet.

also, while im here. i wish to use a preacher of nurgle model (from forgeworld) as a nurgle possessed champion and a rogue psyker model (also fw) as a tzeentch possessed champion model, is this ok?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »

We could use 5th edition rules.
Measure distances from the gun.
Use TLOS.
Problem solved.

Now for the explanation as to why it is solved:
TLOS basically forces the gun to be aimed downward.  An emperor titan / warlord cannot be made to be leaning over and look "badass" or "cool"  So the only real way it can aim is slightly downward or straight forward.  We allow for the 45 degree angle swivel up and down and suddenly the rules resolve themselves.

We can do the math if you like but it's pretty obvious without trig to know you won't be able to shoot at the titans feet with carapace weapons by the rules as written.

This seems fine so long as people don't try and cheese things.  The people bringing the big Titans should know and respect this.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
I have no real strong preference between Book TLOS and measuring minimum range from the toes.  Book TLOS to me feels more real, while toes is quick and easy.  Returning to last year's version where you could shoot at one's toes would be problematic to me, but I don't think anyone wants to go back to that.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
Dave,

As long as the model's you plan to use can clearly stand out of a unit and are fairly close to representing what you want them I don't see an issue.  There are alot of players that go with the forgeworld version of unit champions because they tend to just be better looking models.

Just make sure you have them based and painted.  Derek Likes to see fully painted armies in his mega battles.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »
Just make sure you have them based and painted.  Derek Likes to see fully painted armies in his mega battles.

And it isn't just Derek.  :-D

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

Please solve for Barrage weapons.
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »

The math on 45 degrees is straight forward enough.  For every inch above the ground the weapon is mounted you get an inch of horizontal distance from the mount point that the gun can't target.

The exception would be for other big targets.  The toe rule is not ideal.  When a Warlord gets close to an Emperor the range is supposedly too short, though the Warlord's gun can clearly be brought to bear.  TLOS seems to make more sense.

Spooky

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
I'm not settled on it, but I'm poking at the idea of making an Orbital Defense Laser, and wanted a guide on aesthetics.

One possibility would be to make a building like this and then park a convincing laser-y thing on top rear platform:

It looks a little "clean" to me though...

Another possibility would be to make something like this:

which would be painted somewhere along these lines:

Basically I'm thinking a tower with a gun, and either make that tower part of a building that looks bulky enough to look like it generates its own power, or make a separate building that appears to be able to generate the power the gun needs.

Do people prefer the "clean" flat look? The "gothic" stone-work with metal pipes and such? Are neither acceptable?

Thanks for considering!

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:06 PM »
Mixing stone work with tech is pretty grim-dark.  The newish one would just need some superstitious nonsense and other hokey religious jargon on it.

They all seem quite acceptable as a base for the laser.  Do you have a SM for comparison on the stone work models?

Serring

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »
I'm going to use bastions and convert them into defense lasers for mine. But remember the defense laser must have a pompous sounding name (right in the data sheet)  ;D

tyranid warlord

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
I would like to use a data sheet from the bell  of of lost souls calld the
Necron Aspis it includes the Necron Obelisk which has been used in Mega Battles
before and which has a Data sheet on the Games workshop web site.
Thanks
Dave

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
For the defense laser I like the idea of the stone work more than the more toyish look of the first image.  I think the ideas you posted for converting a gothic looking structure to house more high tech equipment fits really well with the idea of how I've seen hive worlds pictured in the 40k material.

As for the Aspis Data sheet, I don't see any issue with it.  I've personally always found bell of lost souls a good source for material that has been avidly play tested by the guys that put of the website.

Spooky

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Cool. Yeah, I like the look of the gothic stonework with the metal pipes in it better anyway...

Scale-wise, I can't put a mini next to that model because it's a picture I took off the web. I can tell you though that the bricks in the wall are about a half-inch tall, and each square of the ground is 1" x 1".

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »
I would like to use a data sheet from the bell  of of lost souls called the
Necron Aspis it includes the Necron Obelisk which has been used in Mega Battles
before and which has a Data sheet on the Games workshop web site.
Thanks
Dave

See http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=1813.msg19010#msg19010

Chase is discouraging data sheets other than from Apocalypse, Apocalypse Reload, or Imperial Armor.  If you really must, post the entire sheet here for review.