Author Topic: Plainville's Official "Unofficial" Tuesday 40k  (Read 301944 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Plainville's Official "Unofficial" Thursday 40k
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:35 PM »
Or as a more expensive option you can get color primers from Army Painter at BATTLEGROUNDS...  These I find are some of the best primers and they come in multiple colors to make painting base coats VERY EASY.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
For plastic models and flat black, Home Depot has some spray that'll do the job nicely at 99 cents a can. It doesn't take to metal quite as well, but it still works in a pinch.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the glue tip Ben,

Anybody recommend a good primer? seems to be massively conflicting opinions on all the online research I've done lol

best one is gw white if you want white for best clean finish unless you use a airbrush which can be amazingly even.
all  other color get the rust brand cant remeber the full name with a resistor cap they are like .75 for the cap and 5$ a can.

this is just my take.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
Or as a more expensive option you can get color primers from Army Painter at BATTLEGROUNDS...  These I find are some of the best primers and they come in multiple colors to make painting base coats VERY EASY.

yes they have good colors but there are flop ones like i would not use the green one.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »
No post-tournament hangover will be tolerated. *cracks whip* Get back to slaving at the table mines of Thursday 40k!

takenogundam1

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: July 25, 2011, 02:23:19 AM »
Hey Ben...

Since you are the guru of getting people together, I wanted to run an idea by you: I am a huge fan of warbands in fantasy, so I was wondering what the response would be for a similar idea in 40K...like kill teams? 500pts maybe?
1. Still follow the FoC: 2 Troops and 1 HQ must haves
2. Special Characters are allowed (though they chew up points)
3. Limited to 1 Vehicle (Tank) or 1 Vehicle (Walker) (no chimera spam)

I think it would be fun and a bit more realistic. I know I would enjoy a couple Vet Squads, a Lord Commissar, and a Leman Russ on my side of the table!!!!

I also think it would help to get tables open faster as well...

Maybe even a 2vs2? Each player brings 500pts....1k each side? HMM HMM HMM????
Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:07 AM »
WE SHALL NOT FEAR YOUR CHAOS TYRANNY  BEN. WE SHALL NO LONGER SLAVE AT THE TABLES WITH DAWN OF WAR DEPLOYMENT FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT. WE WILL NO LONGER BE SLAUGHTERED BY CHOP STAR  OR SCARBRAND. THE EMPEROR IS WITH US AND WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS!!!!!
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2011, 05:29:20 AM »
I'm glad you brought up the 2v2 games. They don't happen as much as they used to, but some of the best matches I play on Thursdays are those impromptu multiplayer matches. With the influx of new people over the past month, it's certainly a more efficient way for the newer crowd to meet everyone else, while also giving players the chance to see and learn more in an evening. I'll be encouraging that.

The Trios tournament is coming up August 6, and I expect some players looking for 2v2 practice.
In that format each team of two each brings:
1,000 Point Army List (1 HQ, 1-3 Troop, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Fast Attack, 0-1 Heavy Support)
1000 is pretty easy for most armies to write up on the fly.

An informal tradition of 1750-2000 games started with the original crew. We were playing both to have fun and to practice for the tournament scene. As we extended an open invitation for others to join us, that just became the bar for others in terms of what to expect.

The store did try to run regular Kill Team games on Saturdays, with squads of 200 points and each model acting independently (but not as Independent Characters). It went okay a couple weeks, then faded to complete nothingness. I do recall the list of necessary restrictions was absurdly long.

So in other words, you're the first person who's asked about games as small as 500. :) If others are interested, they should definitely speak up!

As for tables being open, it hasn't been a serious concern to date. As full as some Thursdays get, more tables can be set up if need be. But if all those extra tables fill up...

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: July 25, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
I dont know who is active on these forums, but if simon leen is, I was wondering if you were going to be around this thursday for another whack at a 2500 point game, except where i don't flake on you  ;D 
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
« Reply #309 on: July 25, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »
bring your pirates if you want a wm game after

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
I dont know who is active on these forums, but if simon leen is, I was wondering if you were going to be around this thursday for another whack at a 2500 point game, except where i don't flake on you  ;D 
I'm having dinner with Simon tonight, I can let him know.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
thanks, and ed, ill do that!
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Wes

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »
Bill, would you mind brining your box of guard bits this Thursday, Im interested in buying/taking/trading some guns,banners,heads bodies etc. etc. to make a Necron Guard (Or guard Necron army)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:46 AM »
Bill, would you mind brining your box of guard bits this Thursday, Im interested in buying/taking/trading some guns,banners,heads bodies etc. etc. to make a Necron Guard (Or guard Necron army)
I'm not sure if that Bill reads the forums. Maybe he lurks... I'll talk to Simon, again. He's popular these days.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2011, 03:20:36 AM »
This thread needs motivation.

I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com