Author Topic: Plainville's Official "Unofficial" Tuesday 40k  (Read 301852 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Re: Plainville's Official "Unofficial" Thursday 40k
« Reply #795 on: November 07, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »
Ya the Death ray Is pretty good as is considering it can still possibly take out a whole squad in one shot with good placement and good dice rolls. But if the slightest touch would make people aiming it through 3 squads and wipe out a whole army in one attack. I don't think Doom Scythes going to do that well considering Even with Quantum shielding I think they will be easy to take out cause then they will be Armor 11 all around at 175 points after one Pen. At most I see it making it 1 or 2 turns before being shot down in a regular game.

Jaws of the World Wolf a space Wolves Psychic attack  already uses the line mechanic and the way I seen it done is you have the point and run the tape measure alongside the point to point  and use the edge of the tape measure to determine the hit if you can't see any of the base of the model its not on the line therefore its not a hit. 

And I agree how Ben States it its a badly worded way in the codex but he puts it into much clearer terms that a Strength 10 AP 1 instant hit, 2+ wound, Instant kill on a majority of units having the ability to hit 2 squads with the number of models in their squad. Ya No its not that way despite Matt Ward.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:26 AM »
I tend to agree, imagine if it worked the way of 1 hit = 30 dead orks, then people would just take 3, imhotek (for his seize rule) and wipe the majority of the enemy army off the table. It wouldn't even really be a game any more. Each one could potentially destroy like 250-500 points each. also, where in the fluff does it describe 1 hit killing a tonne of stuff not in its path?
Tau theme song, "jump around"

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: November 07, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Typically, a line is a line, the two-dimensional "shape" that exists between two infinitesimally small points. Practically, I'd say it's measured out using thinnest means available. Most people don't carry string, so a tape measure usually suffices.

Otherwise, I choose my line to be as wide as the room. :D

Hate to break out the I'm a math teacher thing, but a line actually has no width. A line is a one dimensional object, it only has length. This is all assuming we are using Euclidean geometry.

I do have one question too, what exactly is the standard procedure on determining a random model?

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #798 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:11 AM »
Typically, a line is a line, the two-dimensional "shape" that exists between two infinitesimally small points. Practically, I'd say it's measured out using thinnest means available. Most people don't carry string, so a tape measure usually suffices.

Otherwise, I choose my line to be as wide as the room. :D

Hate to break out the I'm a math teacher thing, but a line actually has no width. A line is a one dimensional object, it only has length. This is all assuming we are using Euclidean geometry.

I do have one question too, what exactly is the standard procedure on determining a random model?

I was wondering that myself, random is used a lot for abilities in this book
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:11:37 AM by PhoenixFire »

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #799 on: November 07, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
And to get even more nit-picky, it isn't even a line in the first place because it ends. A line goes on forever, a line segment has a given length.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #800 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:37 PM »
It's the practical application of drawing a line. For example, this is something we can recognize as a line:

But we can also recognize a thicker line too, like the line made in the dark space here.

Here's the pro tip. Don't be *that* guy.  

And yes, Imothek's power should clearly read "line segment". :P

No standard procedure, so it's just whatever you and your opponent decide. Most of the time, a unit is small enough to roll a assign models spots on a d6 and roll. If no other dice are on hand (like a d20), then you could break bigger units up into groups of six, roll to see which group is hit while rolling another die to see which model is hit.

If you know this is something that will come up almost every game, it's good to bring appropriate dice for the occasion.

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #801 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Oh certainly, for practical application a piece of string or a tape measure works fine. I just die a little inside when mathematics terms are butchered, WHAT DID THE LINE EVER DO TO YOU!  :P

Wes

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #802 on: November 07, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
Any Unit, friendly or enemy, under this line takes a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit under the line.
Okay, per GW standard, this is written very poorly. The following is what I believe they mean.

A unit under this line suffers a number of hits equal to the number of the unit's models directly under this line. Every unit, friendly and enemy, under the line is affected and resolved separately.

I really do not believe the intention is to hit 1 model of a 20-man unit and have that unit to take 20 hits. That would be broken.

I assume thats most likely what they meant, but its not what they wrote.
 .....A number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit under the line.

"under the line in the unit" would make sense sense for what you are saying
"in the unit that are under the line" would as well
but strictly to what they wrote "...models in the unit under the line" there is nothing to say only models that are under the line are hit.

I intend to enjoy my week of being completly op.

Fine, If you guys insist.  :(

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:45:19 PM by WesCron »

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #803 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
Wes your not reading the full sentence just that part at the end "Number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit under the line."  Breaking it down "Number of hits" Means that you don't need to roll to hit. "Equal to the Number of models in the unit under the line." Is a British way of saying In American "Equal to the Number of models under the line in each unit.".
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Wes

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #804 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
Wes your not reading the full sentence just that part at the end "Number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit under the line."  Breaking it down "Number of hits" Means that you don't need to roll to hit. "Equal to the Number of models in the unit under the line." Is a British way of saying In American "Equal to the Number of models under the line in each unit.".

I'm obviously not a Brit  :P

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #805 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
still looking for a 1500 point game, i have no school friday so i will prolly be there early and leave late if anyone is interested.
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #806 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
Just a heads up.  We are closed on Thursday, the 24th of Novemeber, for Thanksgiving.  The Wednesday before I would love to see the Thursday 40k guys come blow each other up for TANKSgiving as a replacement.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #807 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
Emory If I make it up There Ill take you on for that 1500 Point game.

Twebster

• Email
« Reply #808 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »

Essentially this all comes down to: Does "under the line" modify the number of models or the unit. The way it is written, it modifies the unit, not the number of models.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #809 on: November 07, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
I think Common sense has to come into play with the reiteration of it would be broken if we take it in the context of inflicting 10 hits on a 10 model unit for it touching 1 model in the unit with a strength 10 AP 1 weapon. Its bad Wording which GW is notorious for. Any Unit, friendly or enemy, under this line takes a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit under the line.
"equal to the number of models in the unit under the line." is so ambiguous that if you look at that why  does it have to mention it twice "Any Unit (Friendly or Enemy), Under this line" they already mentioned the unit and I dont think they are stupid enough unless Matt Ward is paid by the word to not just say "Any Unit, friendly or enemy, under this line takes a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit" that therefore has to make you think another mechanic is in play which is that the number of models the line touches is the number of hits the squad takes. Your not hitting models your hitting the unit but you can't allocate wounds to a specific model which is what they are saying this squad takes 2 hits but not on those models they can be allocated normally. If it hit specific models people would target special weapons instead of the most of the unit they could.

In basic words GW messed up because the people writing it thought it was obvious cause they already knew how it worked before putting it on paper.