Author Topic: Eldar Army Idea  (Read 933 times)

JGariepy

• Email
Eldar Army Idea
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
Hi, I just started working on making an Eldar Army, and all I've bought is a squad of guardians, this is my army plan, I'd like some people to check it out and tell me what you think.

HQ:
-Eldrad Uthran
-Seer Council + Eldritch Storm + Destructor + Conceal
+ Enhance

Troop:
-(10) Guardian Squad with Support Platform (starcannon) and warlock
-(5) Rangers

Elite:
-(3) Wraithguard + Warlock with enhance
-(10)Fire Dragons + Exarch with Firepike and Tank Hunters

Heavy Support:
-Wraithlord starcannon and brightlance
-Wraithlord with wraithsword and starcannon
-(5)Dark reaper squad + Exarch with Tempest Launcher

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Re: Eldar Army Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Hey there,

Personally, I'm not a fan of Guardians.  To me, they're sort of like Imperial Guard troops, but more expensive.  I'd switch to Dire Avengers, if you can.  Rangers are good, but I'd try to find a way to increase that unit to 10 models.

10 Fire Dragons seem a little excessive.  Not many things need 10 Melta shots to take out in one phase.  I'd shrink the squad down to either 5 or 6.  An Exarch with Tank Hunter is a good addition, but you can probably do without the Firepike.  Get them a Wave Serpent, so that way you can more easily get within range of your Melta weapons. 

Additionally, you're still a little light on transports though, which can be problematic.  Eldar have arguably the best Dedicated Transports in the game, so take advantage of them if you can.  Otherwise, the rest of the list looks pretty good.

Good luck!
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Doomscape

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:27:12 AM »
I think you ought to take a look at how excellent guardians can be, with a warlock and heavy weapon they're actually quite versatile.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:18 AM »
my respond to that being a xeno player that i am.
wtf bolter shots t3 AMG. (Most people are space marine players) on a +5 armor save low leader ship model. Dire dudes and rangers add a little more flavor,
sure don't get me wrong a heavy weapon could be a good objective holder, but rangers are fair more bang for there buck.
but that is just tactics, you can play what you wish. I'd also prefer war walkers over the lords.

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
I like the guardians but I prefer Scatter lasers over Starcannons
I'd also shrink the dragon's to 5+ exarch and put them in a falcon.
I love the idea of lots of wraithguards but they are just oo expensive for my taste.

Doomscape

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:13:35 AM »
Don't guardians get a max squad size of 20?  I find that a scatter laser or starcannon (old-fashioned I suppose!) with a Conceal warlock synergize pretty well with all sorts of stuff. 

Rangers were pretty good in the previous edition but now I tend to find you're paying too many points for something that has a great deal more things on the board that deny cover saves than used to be.  Five is probably as many as you'd want, but what are they really going to kill over the course of a game?  Don't they hit on fours now?

I generally find points for two squad in wave serpents, one of banshees and one of scorpions.  Try to follow that with fire dragons in serpents as well, or an autarch in a jetbike squad with some of the fusion guns.  I think Eldar are one of the few armies out there really entirely capable of bringing a list to the table that can work against almost anyone still.  Just my two cents.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »
Here's an idea that I have been toying with and it seems to be working pretty well.  Put a Farseer (with Guide, Doom, and just in case he ends up on foot; Mind War) all alone in the Falcon.  You can keep casting guide on the tank.  I imagine him as the loud old battle-axe mother in law from it's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World screaming at the gunner "NO, SHOOT OVER THERE YOU IDIOT!!!!!"  With the BS3 on the tank, re rolls can really help.  And since he's not leaving the tank, unless it gets shot to pieces (in which case you have Mind War) he's pretty safe alone keeping the point cost down.  Also you can move him around fast with the tank allowing him to use the Doom ability which only has a 24 inch range (which you can use without line of sight because in the errata it's not a shooting attack).  Just remember to give him star stones so he can cast both during a turn.  

So far its worked ok.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:35:40 AM by cryptoron »
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

Doomscape

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
I'd be worried about KP with that one, but otherwise it's sort of a stitch :) Might have to give it a try!