Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Battleground WHFB 1v1 Escalation Event - March 20th  (Read 5410 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email

Battleground Games & Hobbies - Plainville

Format: 1v1 Escalation - Point totals vary round to round, see below.
Date: March 20th, 2011 a Sunday
Time: Please be here no later than 10:00am.  Set up at 10:30.  Dice roll no later than 11:00am.
Entrance Fee:  $20.00 per person

Address:
25 Taunton Street
Plainville MA 02762

Find us on Google Maps

Check out our Facebook Page

Join our Mailing List

The event will be capped at 24 players.  Please contact me at ChaseLaq@gmail.com or call the store to sign up if and only if you can commit to playing on March 20th.

RULES FOR WARHAMMER FANTASY TOURNAMENT

Rule Books:
The Warhammer Fantasy EIGHTH Edition Rules will be used.

The following is a list of legal army choices:
Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia
Warhammer Armies: Warriors of Chaos
Warhammer Armies: Daemons of Choas
Warhammer Armies: Beastmen
Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves
Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs
Warhammer Armies: Empire
Warhammer Armies: High Elves
Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen
Warhammer Armies: Ogre Kingdoms
Warhammer Armies: Orcs & Goblins (released March 5th, 2011)
Warhammer Armies: Skaven
Warhammer Armies: Tomb Kings
Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts
Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves

MODELS AND POINTS:

1. Each player MUST bring THREE army lists to the event. One consisting of 1000 points or fewer (to be used in round 1), one consisting of 1500 points or fewer (round 2), one consisting of 2000 points or fewer (round 3).

Round 1 - 1000 points
Round 2 - 1500 points
Round 3 - 2000 points

2. A players list must BUILD UPON their list from the previous round.  This means that all units must be of equal or greater size from round 1 to round 2 and from round 2 to round 3.  All special characters must also be present in some form if they appeared in a previous list.  A player may add additional units to his list from round to round but may not subtract models or units from his list in subsequent rounds.

Once a model is present in a list, that model (or named character) can not be absent from subsequent lists.

Example:  Johnny has one unit of 10 Chaos Warriors in round 1.  Johnny can add models to that unit, leave that unit the same, or add an additional unit of Chaos Warriors to his list for round 2, but must have at least one unit of 10 Chaos Warriors in his list after round 1.

Additional Clarifications:

Q: Can we "upgrade" characters with new levels and or equipment?  I.E. my level 2 mage with silver wand in first list can be an Archmage with seerstaff and Guardian Phoenix in the last?

A: Yes, you may "upgrade" your level 2 mage in the first list to an Archmage in the last.  The Archmage may have Guardian Phoenix but he must have the silver wand (he can not upgrade the wand to a seerstaff).

Q: How about adding significant equipment I.E A naked skink chief in 1k but a skink chief with war-spear/stegadon in others?

A: Yes, you may add additional gear (and other "extras") to a model from round to round but you are stuck with the gear and "extras" once they are on your list.

3. Army lists MUST be emailed to ChaseLaq@gmail.com no later than March 13th, 2011.  I would prefer they be sent in Army Builder generated .pdf format.  Failing that, a detailed, itemized, .txt file is fine.

4. ForgeWorld rules and models that go with them will not be allowed for this event.

5. If illegal units or other rules violations are found in a player’s army list, at a minimum, the models in violation will be removed from all subsequent play. In addition, tournament points may be deducted and/or award eligibility may be forfeited. If in doubt, please ask for clarification in advance from a Battleground Tournament Organizer.

HOW THE TOURNAMENT WORKS:

• Competitors will participate in three (3) games over the course of the day. In each game, you
will play at a certain point total (below).  You will also play the listed scenario (below) and record the outcome of the battle on your results sheet. Each round you will play a different opponent.  Each round will last 2.5 hours.

Round 1 - 1000 points
Round 2 - 1500 points
Round 3 - 2000 points

• In the first round, players will be matched up randomly. After the first round, players will be
matched up according to current rankings in the tournament (e.g., the player in first place will
play the player in second place and so on). We will try our best not to pair players that come to the event together in the first round. If a player receives a BYE they will be awarded the average of the winning players points for the round.

• You will not play the same person twice.

• The pairings for each round will be announced as soon as they are determined. Please be sure to
arrive at your table ready to play right away. We ask that each player be conscious of the
time and that you play at a regular and steady pace to complete the game. Anyone found slow
playing or deliberately stalling for any reason will be penalized.

• Each game will be played on a 4' x 6' board.

• Players will receive Results Sheets at the beginning of each round. Each results sheet must be
filled in properly to ensure that match-ups and point totals are correct. Once Results Sheets are
completed they are to be turned in at the counter so the scores can be entered into the
computer.

BATTLES:

The Eighth Edition Rulebook (and all relevant GW FAQ) will be in use for all games and will be the definitive guide for all rules. The time limit for each game is 2.5 hours. At the end of this time limit, the round will be called; all players will need to finish their game immediately (dice down), and no additional time will be provided.

The scenarios to be used are:

Round 1 - Battle Line
Round 2 - Meeting Engagement
Round 3 - Dawn Attack

What You Need to Bring with You:
-Your (hopefully painted) miniatures
-At least one copy of EACH army list
-WHFB Rulebook, your Army Book, and any additional books you might need
-Pen and paper
-Dice and templates
-Tape measure
-Something to transport your army from table to table

Store Credit Awards will be given out to:
Store credit is good for any product in the store and all subsequent events.  It never expires and will be saved for you.

Best General
Second Best General
Third Best General (only awarded if the turnout is large)
Best Appearance

Please post any questions or comments here.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:13:55 PM by Battleground »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Re: [Plainville MA] Battleground WHFB 1v1 Escalation Event - March 20th
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:46 AM »
A Sunday...?  Oh man...  I'll have to get back to you on this...  I'd really like to play, but that's usually the day I commute back to NJ.

And since when did you guys open at 10:00 on a Sunday?  Or is this just a special exception because of the tournament?
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
Had a couple requests to hold the event on a Sunday.

Opening early for the event.  Likely staying late for the event too.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »
4. ForgeWorld rules and models that go with them will not be allowed for this event.

how about forgeworld models that use rules from the relevant army books? for example, would i be able to use a forgeworld keeper of secrets as a keeper of secrets?

Shadow76

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »
This sounds great.  I wish I was goign to be around.  Im coing to the area on June 1st.  Hopefully these type of events will be a regular in the future.

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
Wish I could make this...found out my niece is having her Bat Mitzvah that weekend in New Jersey.. don';t think changing the date would work huh?
Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »

how about forgeworld models that use rules from the relevant army books? for example, would i be able to use a forgeworld keeper of secrets as a keeper of secrets?

Yes that is fine.  I think he was more regarding the brand new Warhammer forge stuff.

I do have a question as to which Orc and Goblin book will be legal for the event.  The new book is set for the 5th of march right?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
Oh...  Yes it sure is!  I didn't consider that.

I'm inclined to let people use the new book despite GW waiting a month before allowing it in their events.  The difficulty come from having 2 Orc and Goblin players in the event, and each using a different Army Book.  We don't want that.

If people see no real issue with using the new Army Book in the event I am going to require Orc and Goblin players to use the new book.

Opinions?  -  The choice will be made one way or another by Sunday night.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
Event post updated with some additional clarifications regarding list construction from round to round.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
If people see no real issue with using the new Army Book in the event I am going to require Orc and Goblin players to use the new book.

Opinions?  -  The choice will be made one way or another by Sunday night.

i'd be more than happy to face the new book, anything that increases the chance of someone bringing an arachnarok is a good thing! plus the fact that i understand the cost of some units (boar boyz for one) has been brought in-line with the new edition. the only issue i see is that anyone using O&G would only have a couple weeks to get in some practice with the new book, rather than any significant balance issues.
edit: disclaimer, note that everything i've heard about the book is secondhand
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:09:28 AM by brother_maynard »

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:41 AM »
I find it funny how you made the tournament I've been asking for since Christmas on Captain Bryan day (the last megabattle was on march 20 2010)

Count me in :D

EDIT: I don't think the time for each round should be 2.5 hours...because a 1000 point game is much shorter than a 2000 point game. So I suggest something like 2 hours for round 1, 2.5 hours for round 2, and3 hours for round 3
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:37:42 AM by Captain Bryan! »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:56:26 AM »
We are going to use the new Orc and Goblin book for the event.  I will have a copy of the new book in Abington and Plainville at least a week before it goes on sale (on sale March 5th).

Bry - The time for each round will take care of itself.  I highly doubt round 1 will go to time.  It's unlikely round 2 will either.

Iacton Qruze

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
I'm in, barring the unforseen. I work Sats, and wouldn't mind a tuneup for Adepticon, so perfect for me.
Yet another Greenskin, the hobby is better when the 'skins are properly represented, hope I can get the book in time to rewrite 3 armies.
What is the 'official GW figs' policy?
Just remember, manling.... the Bloodthirster is MINE.-
-G. Gurnisson

Shadow76

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 04:42:52 AM »
I'm in, barring the unforseen. I work Sats, and wouldn't mind a tuneup for Adepticon, so perfect for me.

You got me excited b/c I started to look into this Adepticon.  For about 25 min I started thinking about how I can fit this in my schedule and begging and pleading with my wife.  Then I looked up its location to find it is in Chicago :(  With everything going on, there better be a ton of tourneys when I come up there for good in June.  It seems like I am missing a ton of good stuff.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
Remember guys, I need you to email me before I can sign you up.  I need your first and last name at least.