Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 8783 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 03:45:56 PM »
I didn't like Descent of the Angels much.  It didn't cover what I was hoping it would cover.

I love crappy fiction and had to put that afterbirth down.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »
I think I've missed some of the classics of the sci-fi/fantasy genre (mainly the fantasy aspect) and a lot of people talk about WoT at the store.  I feel left out.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
I think I've missed some of the classics of the sci-fi/fantasy genre (mainly the fantasy aspect) and a lot of people talk about WoT at the store.  I feel left out.

The only 2 real series in fantasy genre that are really worth noting are The Canticles of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and the Drizzt Series by R A Salvatore.

Michael Stackpole writes a great fantasy series, but it does not compare to either of the previous two

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 02:31:44 AM »
It is a shame, then I guess, that I do not like Salvatore.  I've sent him many an angry letter in response to his massacres in the Star Wars realm.  But, I'll look up Canticles of the Dragon.  Maybe I'll enjoy that.  I'm also partial to The Mists of Avalon.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Unit04

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
Just picked up Battle for the Abyss from the Horus Heresy series.  I will be starting it after Congo.  Here's hoping it doesn't suck.

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
i have been reading the drizzit series for a a handful of year now, i just finished book VII Legacy.

and jonathan  i think you might like Salvator now, for you see i am readin the Drizzit books in the graphic novel form put out by Devils Due Press.  the artowrk is amazing and the books little thicker then normal graphic novels, deffently worth a look if you are a drizzit fan.

It's funny because had always been the biggest anti-drizzit fannboy, then few years back i picked up the first book in the Series graphic novel and it was great.
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
I'm a huge fan of manga and japanimation.  That being said, some of my current favorites are Bleach, Negima, and (as most of you can guess) Rurouni Kenshin.  Bleach and Negima are still being released in the U.S. in english, but I believe they may have finished already in Japan.  Kenshin has ended for quite awhile now, but I always enjoy rereading the stories about my favorite animated samurai.

Other than manga though, I do enjoy reading fantasy novels.  I never understood the popularity of Harry Potter until I read the first book.  And once I did that, I couldn't stop.

But as of right now I'm currently reading my GMAT book, by Princeton Review...  Grad school, here I come (hopefully)!  :P
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »
Bleach is surprisingly addicting.  They take so long for the next volume to come out and I'm caught up.  Oh well at least I can eagerly await the next one.

Haven't read Negima yet but heard wonderful things.  I'm working my way through new issues of FABLES and Jack of Fables both by Bill Willingham.  Great titles and some of the best writing published by DC in ages.  I also strongly recommend The Walking Dead by Kirkman under the Image label.

I just got caught up with a fun and funny manga called Yakitate!! Japan, which is about bread making...oddly enough.  Yet, somehow it works.  My friend living in the Phillippines (right now for school) turned me on to this title.

Of course there's the great series DeathNote, just finished reading volume 13, that I think everyone should read.  Plus, I'm really into Monster right now by Naoki Urasawa.  It is a great thriller series.

I tend to read a lot and a lot at the same time.  So, I'm listening to the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes and When You Are Engulfed by Flames by David Sedaris (he's such a funny guy) in my car on audiobook format.  Plus, I'm reading the Angel Park All Stars series by Dean Hughes (work related).  I also started Tsubasa by CLAMP because I read all the published xxxHolic titles and thought I should catch up on the other side of the story.

To round it off I'm reading the new Robert Crais mystery titled Chasing Darkness and The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry.  Just finished the new Judy Moody illustrated by my town's very own Peter Reynolds who is doing a major event at the library this month.

Lot of good stuff out there to read.  Ben good luck with the GMAT book.  I did a lot of GRE reading (Barron's, Princeton Review etc) and after awhile it gets to you...or at least it did me.

Oh yeah almost forgot I'm starting to read the new White Dwarf and a couple issues of Hello! magazine.