Author Topic: Fantasy or 40K???  (Read 11838 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Fantasy or 40K???
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
I care not for the reasons.

Posting a link to Intellectual Property is a horrible idea, especially on a community forum (where GW may look) let alone the obvious moral ramifications.

EDIT:

Free market fantasies are what lead to dead game stores.  Seeing as I'm a bit of a "refugee" so to speak, I do take the mindset of being a scrub as a personal offense.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:34:56 PM by the_trooper »

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
  • Silence is golden but duck tape is silver.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »
Moral ramifications for posting a link to a book to help someone, I see none. Regardless. No more links to "intellectual property" from now on to avoid the arguments.
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?
Yes Alley, you're winning.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
i'm sorry i meant that to be humorous, not rude. as someone who first got into the hobby when i was 12 i know exactly how tough it is to buy all your own stuff. i was not saying he needs to buy a rulebook, thats ridiculous for everyone to shell out the down payment on a car for the rulebook when members of a group can share. i was merely saying that cutting corners will only hurt the store in the long run. but there's a difference between sharing rulebooks and having a soft copy without owning a hard copy. cutting the store out (especially as they're paying for these forums) is wrong, you will be playing on their tables after all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:39:06 PM by brother_maynard »

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
Alley, I understand your situation. I was there for a long time and now, as an unemployed college student living off of student loans, I find myself in a similar position. What does this mean? There are things I want to do that I can't.

I could eBay rhinos for my Lamenters. I won't. Battleground is my gaming home and I will support it, even if that means that I need to wait a month or two to get what I want. People in situations like ours need to realize that instant gratification isn't an option.

Really. I hear you. Buying a new rulebook blows when you don't have a lot of cash. But that doesn't change things, as much as I'd like it to.
beep bop boop

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
There's also a difference between things that you don't need with you to play, such as a book, or something that has to be there, like your HQ (aside from proxies where applicable) that you can use online for now and then buy later from the store. Either way the store will get money, it's just a matter of temporary solutions. That's like yelling at someone for printing out magic cards to use as a proxy deck before they decide to buy it.

I hear what you're saying and understand that you know where I'm coming from now, but encouraging to temporarily use a rulebook online is different than buying rhinos on ebay, which aren't temporary.
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
agreed, having a pdf is handy because alot of army building stuff is done on the computer and its nice to not lug a heavy book around for that. that said, it is a grave sin to play in a store without supporting it monetarily, this isn't warhammerforhomelesschildren.org, the non-profit organization for all of your warhammer needs.
One way of finding a more "cost effective" way of obtaining the rule book is by getting either the "Assault on Black Reach" set for 40K, or the "Island of Blood" set for Fantasy.  Both come with 2 separate armies (not a lot of points worth, but enough to get you started), some dice, which include a Scatter and Artillery die, two 18" rulers (or as I like to call "The Red Whips of GW"), and a miniaturized handbook that covers all the rules from the main rule book, but condensed into something a lot smaller and "carry-on" friendly.  The sets are designed to bring new players in, and in hopes that they'd build on their armies respectively.  Now, granted this does mean that you'd probably want to choose between one of the two armies that the set comes with, if you intend to get somewhat of a start on your Fantasy/40K gaming.  It worked out very well for me, since I decided to play Space Marines and High Elves.  But if you find yourself more interested in playing a different army, there might be players who'd be willing to trade for your models or buy them for store credit.  Some players have posted threads asking for trades and such as well, so it probably wouldn't be difficult to find a few people to help you out.
and as for your first point Ian, i think thats a better gauge of Ben as a player rather than the game. he chooses the lore, buys the item to transfer miscasts, buys the ability to know all spells and throws 6 dice at getting the spell off.
I think this was summarized pretty well.  When I first started playing Fantasy, the Island of Blood set had just hit the market, and so I thought "Why not?".  High Elves were being heavily marketed at the time, and since the Skaven army didn't appeal to me, I naturally went with the Elves.  Consequently, I decided to expand on the army, and eventually, it grew from that one IoB set to roughly 4000 points worth of models.  (Thank you GW for finding new ways to make me spend money on you...  ::)).  In any case, the character that Ian is referring to is quite frankly very powerful.  I'm no one to deny it.  But like Maynard said, it's part of the nature of the game.  Since the IoB set was released, GW had been marketing High Elves with as much efforts as they market Space Marines for 40K (or at least I think so).  And when you have a product that sells, the logical idea is to make them better than what's out there.  Does that mean we have balancing issues with competition?  Absolutely.  But that's also why GW needs to update their other armies to close the gap between the armies that are more competitive and those that aren't. 

@ Rurouni
i'd be interested in a game of fantasy as well, i miss battleground  :( the drive is a bit longer since i moved, so i don't come by anymore unless i'm guaranteed a game. PM me if you feel like playing
Dude, I'd be more than happy to play, if my schedule allows it.  If I know for sure I'll be in town, I'll shoot you a PM.   ;)
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • "We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
Two further points.

1) I'm glad Ben posted here. His army is probably one of the best examples of how unbelievably un-fun fantasy is right now. His army fields a character whom, with regularity, can cause an entire unit 24" away to make strength tests or die. No armor saves, no invulnerable save. Nothing. When he does this, there is a good chance there is nothing you can do about it and his wizard character will only suffer negative consequences on a D6 roll of a 1. In addition, another wizard in his army can reduce that unit's strength by D3. Before you move a model, you could lose 5/6th of a 30 man unit, including your characters. Sure sounds fun, doesn't it? This is something many armies can do, though not quite as cheaply as his.

2) If you plan on using the store's forums for help, the store's tables for terrain, and the store's community for games, don't illegally download a book the store sells. Its insulting to Derek. Its insulting to his employees. Its insulting to all of us who have worked to build this community to what it is from day one.

Pay where you play. Its a shame how often I need to remind people this.

Ever since I start going to BG thats where I buy everything... I do agree with the pay where you play.
"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:33 PM »
Also I dont understand where downloading the Rulebook came from... I didnt mention anything about that. and Ian I also dont have 2 months to wait because in 2 months Im joining the Military so Im going to be on active duty... Thats also why Im trying to just get an army quick to have a little fun before I go away.

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
Also I dont understand where downloading the Rulebook came from... I didnt mention anything about that. and Ian I also dont have 2 months to wait because in 2 months Im joining the Military so Im going to be on active duty... Thats also why Im trying to just get an army quick to have a little fun before I go away.

I had posted a link to a free viewable version of the 5th edition rulebook, but I took it down before you looked at it
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »

I had posted a link to a free viewable version of the 5th edition rulebook, but I took it down before you looked at it

OOooo

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »
GW gets very excited about sharing electronic copies of their material.

Fair use copies are awesome and exercising your right as a consumer.  Sharing links to pirated material just make legal issues for a gaming store.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

actually, depending on your job, you could have plenty of time to game. if i were you i'd bring my army to my first duty station, you never know who else will play. as a matter of fact, i crossed paths with a wargaming club on camp hansen in okinawa during my time there. another one of my buddies founded a group of members of his unit in NC, i forget which base he was at.

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »

actually, depending on your job, you could have plenty of time to game. if i were you i'd bring my army to my first duty station, you never know who else will play. as a matter of fact, i crossed paths with a wargaming club on camp hansen in okinawa during my time there. another one of my buddies founded a group of members of his unit in NC, i forget which base he was at.

Ya i thot about that too like finding a local gaming store wherever im stationed.... What branch were u in???? Im joining the Air Force once this semester ends.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »
marines for me. i was in the infantry so i didn't have a whole lot of time to game myself but i met plenty of people who did. i did end up getting sent to a 1 1/2 year long arabic course in 2006 though, guess what? started skaven  :). air force will probably be a good bet though there are a ton of nerds in the AF ;) honestly, as soon as you're done with training and settle into your first unit, make a trip home and pick up your game stuff or have it shipped to you. if you're in the continental US, chances are there'll be a game store close by. and if you're outside the US, like japan or korea, chances are the nerds have congregated and formed a club of their own and will welcome you with open arms if you can sniff em out  ;)

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »
marines for me. i was in the infantry so i didn't have a whole lot of time to game myself but i met plenty of people who did. i did end up getting sent to a 1 1/2 year long arabic course in 2006 though, guess what? started skaven  :). air force will probably be a good bet though there are a ton of nerds in the AF ;) honestly, as soon as you're done with training and settle into your first unit, make a trip home and pick up your game stuff or have it shipped to you. if you're in the continental US, chances are there'll be a game store close by. and if you're outside the US, like japan or korea, chances are the nerds have congregated and formed a club of their own and will welcome you with open arms if you can sniff em out  ;)

LOL thanx lol.... Ya i figured that much. I know tons of people that got sent home from different branches to take college courses.