Author Topic: [Plainville MA] WHFB Doubles Event - 6/25/2011  (Read 5681 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
[Plainville MA] WHFB Doubles Event - 6/25/2011
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »

Battleground Games & Hobbies - Plainville

Format: Doubles (2v2) 1500 points per person
Date: June 25th, 2011 a Saturday
Time: Please be here no later than 10:00am. Set up at 10:30. Dice roll no later than 11:00am.
Entrance Fee: $20.00 per person / $40.00 per team

Address:
25 Taunton Street
Plainville MA 02762

Find us on Google Maps

Check out our Facebook Page

Join our Mailing List

The event will be capped at 24 teams (48 players).

Please contact Sam at sam.pearson@gmail.com or call the store to sign up if and only if you and your partner can commit to playing on June 25th. If you need help finding a partner please post here.

Pre-registration is encouraged.

RULES FOR WARHAMMER FANTASY TOURNAMENT

Rule Books:
The Warhammer Fantasy EIGHTH Edition Rules will be used.

The following is a list of legal army choices:
Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia
Warhammer Armies: Warriors of Chaos
Warhammer Armies: Daemons of Choas
Warhammer Armies: Beastmen
Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves
Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs
Warhammer Armies: Empire
Warhammer Armies: High Elves
Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen
Warhammer Armies: Ogre Kingdoms
Warhammer Armies: Orcs & Goblins
Warhammer Armies: Skaven
Warhammer Armies: Tomb Kings
Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts
Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves

MODELS AND POINTS:

1. Each player must bring an army consisting of 1500 points or fewer.  Team composition will be kept on one side.   IE, Destruction with Destruction, Order with Order, and anyone can team up with Tomb Kings and Ogres as they are Neutral. I believe these rules are presented on pages 136-139 of the Warhammer Fantasy Eighth Edition Rulebook.

2. ForgeWorld rules and models that go with them will not be allowed for this event.

3. Teams CAN share tech (IE Magic spells cast on one another).  The rules for how allied forces interact are in the main rule book.

4. We will be using the ally matrix to determine how the teams must split their power dice for the magic phase.

5. A special character may only be taken once per TEAM.

6. If illegal units or other rules violations are found in a player’s army list, at a minimum,
the models in violation will be removed from all subsequent play. In addition,
tournament points may be deducted and/or award eligibility may be forfeited. If in doubt,
please ask for clarification in advance from a Battleground Tournament Organizer.

7. We will require that each player submits his army list to a Battleground Tournament Organizer on or before June 19th, 2011 (roughly a week before the event).  We ask that players email their lists to sam.pearson@gmail.com as soon as they are finalized.   We are going to do our best to check every list before the event begins.

HOW THE TOURNAMENT WORKS:

• Competitors will participate in three (3) games over the course of the day. In each game, you
will play a scenario and record the outcome of the battle on your results sheet. Each round you
will play a different opponent.  Each round will last 2.5 hours.

• In the first round, players will be matched up randomly. After the first round, players will be
matched up according to current rankings in the tournament (e.g., the player in first place will
play the player in second place and so on). We will try our best not to pair teams that come to the event together in the first round. If a team receives a BYE they will be awarded the average of the winning teams points for the round.

• You will not play the same team twice.

• The pairings for each round will be announced as soon as they are determined. Please be sure to
arrive at your table ready to play right away. We ask that each player be conscious of the
time and that you play at a regular and steady pace to complete the game. Anyone found slow
playing or deliberately stalling for any reason will be penalized.

• Each game will be played on a 4' x 6' board.

• Players will receive Results Sheets at the beginning of each round. Each results sheet must be
filled in properly to ensure that match-ups and point totals are correct. Once Results Sheets are
completed they are to be turned in at the counter so the scores can be entered into the
computer.

BATTLES:

The Eighth Edition Rulebook will be in use for all games and will be the definitive guide
for all rules. The time limit for each game is 2.5 hours. At the end of this time limit, the round will be called; all players will need to finish their game immediately, and no additional time will be provided. For each game, players will play a scenario. Players will be informed at the beginning of each round as to which scenario will be used.

Scoring:

Crushing victory - 20 points (0 points to the losing team)
Victory - 15 points (5 points to the losing team)
Draw - 10 points to both teams

Each Scenario will also have bonus objectives each worth 1 point each (max of 4 addition points per game).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scenarios:

Scenario 1:
Mission - Modified Blood and Glory:  Follow all standard rules for Blood and Glory.  Each player's army is independent in terms of fortitude and the size of the game for fortitude purposes is 1500.   When you break an opposing player, the game does not end.  Instead, your side gains a 250 point bonus victory points per opposing player you have broken.
Standard victory conditions.

Bonus objectives (worth 1 point each, max of 4):  
+1 per player on your alliance that was not broken during the game.  
+1 if you kill an enemy wizard.  
+1 if you break both opponents.

Scenario 2:
Mission - Modified Meeting Engagement.   Follow all standard rules for meeting engagement with one exception.  Prior to rolling for reserve units, you may attach characters to a unit an roll for them together.
Standard Victory conditions.

Bonus objectives (each worth 1 point, max of 4):  
+1 Control the middle of the table (have a unit within 4" of the center and no enemy units within 4" of the center).  
+1 Perform a successful flank or rear charge during the game with a non flying unit.  
+1 Kill an opposing BSB.  
+1 Win more challenges than your opponent.

Scenario 3:
Mission - Battleline.  
Standard Victory conditions.  

Bonus Objectives (each worth 1 point, max of 4):  
+1 Kill an opposing General.  
+1 Control more terrain features than your opponent(in order to control a feature, you must have a unit in/touching the feature and no enemies within 3 inches of it.).  
+1 Control more banners than your opponent (both yours still remaining and enemy ones captured).  
+1 Have a non flying, non scouting unit in the enemy deployment zone at the end of the game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What You Need to Bring with You:
-Your (hopefully painted) miniatures
-At least two copies of your army list
-Rulebooks and any additional books you need
-Pen and paper
-Dice and templates
-Tape measure
-Something to transport your army from table to table

Store Credit Awards will be given out to:
Store credit is good for any product in the store and all subsequent events.  It never expires and will be saved for you.

Best Overall Team
Second Best Overall Team
Third Best Overall Team (only awarded if the turnout is large)
Best Appearance (individual)

Note:  a team may only win one award.

Please post any questions or comments here.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:01:06 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] WHFB Doubles Event - 6/25/2011
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
So, are you planning on using the team rules for the magic phase?

Basically the rule is, if the ally matrix you are referring to is used then that will determine how the teams must split their power dice for the magic phase.  It basically says, if a team "has" to divide their power dice equally or if they have the option of determining before any spells are cast how many dice each team-mate with get.  It may matter for players army composition.

Also, if two players team up using the same armies will they be considered separate forces for the inclusion of special characters?  And if not will the benifit that those special characters generate apply towards both players.  Example, Lord Skrolk from the skaven army allows any force he is used in to count plague monks as core choices.

I know it is most likely: Only one version of a named character may appear in any team up, no matter what.  Also, any special benifits they confer will only apply to the force that the controling player is fielding.  But, ya gotta say it offically to avoid any mis-understandings the day of.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
Does this answer any of your questions, Kev?

3. Teams are not integrated.  You may not "share tech" or magic.

I know nothing about WHFB, 8th ed, or how any of this stuff works.  :(

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
except for whether or not multiples of a SC are allowed. otherwise great ruleset, definitely looking forward to playing

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
I think teams should be able to share tech (IE Magic spells cast on one another).   The rules for how allied forces interact are in the main rule book, I think we should stick with that.

Secondly.  I think SCs  should be unique to one team.  IE, no double Skrolk.   Also, If you take a special character that changes slots used for your army list.  IE taking Throgg allows trolls as core.  It affects ONLY your own army list, and not your partner.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
i don't have my rulebook handy but won't that penalize TK and OK armies? they won't be able to benefit from their partner's spells and be at a huge disadvantage. and lets face it, ogres are the last army that needs to be penalized...

and what? no double masque? come on, that would be fun  ;D

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »
I think Keithb was meaning that any team up can cast spells on allied forces.  Tomb Kings and Ogres get the benefit of being able to team with any army, where as all other forces have to be teamed with a force that would fall under the good/evil umbrella.

But, I agree one instance of a special character seems to be the better choice.  I believe the 40k doubles allowed it, but most of their characters are just uber units or offer special rules that interact only with a player's units.  There are a few WHF characters that actually do things to an opponent's army in varying ways.

My main concern is the confusion that would come up with a magic phase, and how the power dice are generated and distributed.  The book covers the way to do it using the ally matrix, and the type of relationship the armies have determines how a given team must divide up the dice.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 03:05:08 AM »
I think Keithb was meaning that any team up can cast spells on allied forces.  Tomb Kings and Ogres get the benefit of being able to team with any army, where as all other forces have to be teamed with a force that would fall under the good/evil umbrella.

But, I agree one instance of a special character seems to be the better choice.  I believe the 40k doubles allowed it, but most of their characters are just uber units or offer special rules that interact only with a player's units.  There are a few WHF characters that actually do things to an opponent's army in varying ways.

My main concern is the confusion that would come up with a magic phase, and how the power dice are generated and distributed.  The book covers the way to do it using the ally matrix, and the type of relationship the armies have determines how a given team must divide up the dice.

That is exactly how it is handled. My skaven and Tim's Dwarves were put together since our team mates both had to drop and we were a desperate alliance, which really sucked for me when I rolled High Magic Dice and he rolled real low, I had to give the DWARF army Magic Dice :(

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:07:26 AM »
I'll be making some slight changes to the event tomorrow and trying to get some stuff cleared up as well.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »
The sons of Hashut curse you, Chase.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »
Soon you will be able to play chaos Dwarves in a WoC army.  fear not.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
Soon you will be able to play chaos Dwarves in a WoC army.  fear not.

That's exactly the opposite of what I want.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Shadow76

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
Im new to the area.  THis sounds great.  Anyone have dwarfs or empire that wants to team up with some Lizzards?  I have TKs as well, but i couldnt think of a good partner for them.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:55:51 PM »
Chase will you be my partner?
Tiger's Den founding member

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email