Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k Ard Boyz Preliminary Round - Aug 14th  (Read 6605 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k Ard Boyz Preliminary Round - Aug 14th
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »
for any interested, they revised the scenarios a little bit
There are still typos. Unbelievably unprofessional.

I guess they're emphasizing by omission that there is no Infiltrate in Scenarios 2 & 3.

Banosby

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
A few questions whoever is running/judging might want to think about before hand:

1. Can Infiltrate/Outflank be used in mission 2?
2. Can Scout be used in any missions?
3. Is the model used in Mission 1 taken from your army list (roster) or army list (codex)? That is, do you play Mission 1 one model down, because you've given it to your opponent, or do you just use an extra model that you have from your codex?
4. Can the 'traitor' be something other than a figure on a small base? i.e., can you give your opponent a Tervigon?
5 The 'traitor' can join any troop unit. What exactly is a troop unit for these purposes?
6. Can you contest terrain in mission 1?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Simon brings up good questions.

Question 1: Since those special rules are listed in Mission 1 and neither in Mission 2 nor 3, I think we'd have to assume that where they're listed, they're available and where they're not listed, they're not available.

Question 2: Applying the above "logic" to Scouting, there really isn't any logic. I think this is left up to the TOs to interpret what the monkey-intern at Games Workshop means.

Questions 3 & 4: "Each player will give his opponent 1 troop model form your army list to represent the traitor." I could give you a base of Nurglings, if I wanted.

Question 5: You talking about Troops that don't use an FOC slot, like Lesser Daemons from Chaos Marines?

Question 6: With that poor wording, is it also possible for two opposing troops to control the same piece of terrain?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:18:46 PM by Benjamin »

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
the way it sounds to me is that the traitor has to be a model you take from your army list, so if i have a unit of gaunts, i give you one and that brood loses one. Would work great if you were playing something like death wing or draigo wing =D
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 05:04:43 AM »
I'm not going to sweat anything until 24 hours before hand.  They have changed the scenarios slightly in the 48 hours leading up to the tournament day every year I can remember.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 02:34:31 AM »
The Troop thing has me all confused for Space Marines does this mean that a Space Marine Squad that loses a model can No longer Combat Squad cause they are not at 10 Models anymore even if I join the Traitor to that squad because hes considered and IC?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:36:10 AM by Loranus »
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 09:29:28 AM »
The Troop thing has me all confused for Space Marines does this mean that a Space Marine Squad that loses a model can No longer Combat Squad cause they are not at 10 Models anymore even if I join the Traitor to that squad because hes considered and IC?
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but with regards to Combat Squading, all 10 men squads can choose to do so at the start of the game (or when they arrive by Drop Pod).  The Traitor has no bearing on that.

From what I understand (or at least the way I play-tested it), you give your opponent one model (that isn't part of either of your lists) to represent the "traitor", and then it's your opponent's job to keep him/her safe until the end of the game (and vice versa).  If I'm interpreting this incorrectly though, some please let me know.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Ragnar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
no, it aint a separate troop model, it's one of your list's troop models

"Each player will give his opponent 1 troop model form your army list to represent the traitor"

since it is not defined as to *when* this happens, the question of whether or not a 10-man SM squad still remains 10 strong at the start of the game is very valid. Basically, the question is: does the exchange of troop models happen at the start of the game or before the start of the game? If it was before, then the answer is no, but if it is at the start of the game, then I believe you'd be able to choose one or the other.

*edit* and yes, with that hideous wording, two opponents can control the same piece of terrain..... good god GW, try and have some self respect
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:42:13 AM by Ragnar »

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »
You'll have to work around the Traitor's limitations, some of which are frankly infuriating. Notice that the Traitor doesn't have Combat Squads as a special characteristic in his statline, just as the Traitor also can't Deep Strike along with my Daemons. If you don't work around it, your Traitor dies and you give up 5 kill points. In other words, this is an example that Ard Boyz is not meant to be taken seriously whatsoever, because GW doesn't take it seriously. Just look at the stylish mission packet, I'm surprised it's not written in Comic Sans font.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
I'm surprised it's not written in Comic Sans font.

I legit lol'd.
beep bop boop

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
I have to give up a grey knight to possibly a guard player for one of his guardsmen. That makes total sense. They are relatively the same amount of points, right?
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Bromeo

• Email
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
I have to give up a grey knight to possibly a guard player for one of his guardsmen. That makes total sense. They are relatively the same amount of points, right?

If you're doing Draigo Paladins, I seriously feel so so so so so SO sorry for you.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
as a tyranid player, im sorry, but i just cant bring my self to feel sorry for grey knights. I just cant
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
plus a grey knights would never be a traitor
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
Chaos Daemons vs Grey Knights 1st Mission Go!
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com