Author Topic: Army Advice: Skaven  (Read 3696 times)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Army Advice: Skaven
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting up a Skaven army, partially by chance, and partially because they just sound hilarious.  I was wondering what people's thoughts were on this for a start, it's pretty much just the IoB Skaven with a Battalion and some other random parts.  If you have any suggestions on what would be good to add from here, or if you think I could re-build things in a better fashion, let me know!

Heroes / Lords:
IoB Warlord
IoB Warlock Engineer
Warlock Engineer
Ikit Claw
Deathmaster Snikch
Skaven Warlord (on order)
Skaven Grey Seer (on order)

Core:
20 IoB Clanrats w/ Hand Weapon and Shield (with standard, champ and musi)
20 IoB Clanrats w/ Spear and Shield (with standard, champ and musi)
40 Clanrats w/ Spear and Shield (with standard, champ and musi)
20 Clanrats w/ Hand Weapon and Shield
40 Stormvermin w/ Halberd and Shield (with standard, champ and musi)
IoB Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team
4 IoB Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team
Ratling Gun Weapon Team

Special:
20 Plague Monks (with standard, champ and musi)
2 IoB Rat Ogres w/ Master Moulder (Shock Prod)
2 Rat Ogres w/ Master Moulder (Things-Catcher)
6 Giant Rats w/ 2 Packmasters
6 Warplock Jezzails

Rare:
Doomwheel
Warp Lightning Cannon

They're almost all built too, just finishing up the Stormvermin now.  And... well, I haven't build Deathmaster or the Jezzails... since I don't have them yet.

Personally I seem to be more partial to Clan Skryre, so I think I'd be adding in more of their (potentially self-destructive) weaponry to the army, I'm kind of leaning towards a Warp Lightning Cannon and a Doomwheel... but again, I'm kind of just working off of "Hey that sounds shiny / fun!"

If anyone has any thoughts on what to add / where to go from here (or other weapon teams, etc), I'm open to any suggestions or critiques!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:24:29 PM by Frosthydra »
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Army Advice: Skaven
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
You've come to the right place.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »
Rares are absolutely the best part of your army. 

If you like clan skyre, I would suggest 2 Warp Lightning Cannons and 2 Doomwheels.

I also recommend a Grey Seer as a lord. 

Lastly, clan rat units need to be large, and Hand weapon/shield is the way to go (though you can always fill in the back ranks with guys with spears).

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
Yeah, I've been looking into a Grey Seer, but unfortunately, you can only order blisters... and I really only want one of the two variants that are out there.  Oh well, I'll have to bite the bullet and go random chance I suppose.  :P

Yeah, I wasn't sure on which is better, spears or hand weapons.  I liked the sound of spears (since you get another rank that can attack, correct?), what is the benefit to using hand weapons instead?  Also, how large are we talking for Clanrat units number-wise?  And here I was thinking 80 was a good start, heh.  I guess the same question also applies to Stormvermin.

Warp Lightning Cannons and Doomwheels do sound quite fun, I'll have to see what I can pick up once I finish off assembling the rest of my current army.

Also, forgot that I have Plague Monks, updating the first post now.
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »
80 is a good start!  but each unit should be 25+, mine are usually 30+.

And don't forget slaves!!!

Slaves are arguably the best unit you have.

HW/Sheild gives you a 6+ parry save.   Spears mean you get more STR 3 attacks, which rarely does anything.   You can make some nice combat characters to get you some kills.  The Clanrats just need to stay alive.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Well damn, now I'm a bit aggravated with myself that I built the 40 with spears. :(  Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

I'll admit to overlooking Skavenslaves, I didn't see much of a benefit to them... what did I miss?

Do you have suggestions on specific characters to look into?  I've been rather enamored with Assassins and Warlock Engineers, but I'm more than open to other ideas!

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:46:27 PM »
You can use the models with spears also (just put them in the back ranks, it might actually look cooler like that!).

Slaves are excellent at delaying units so that your cannon's + magic can whittle them down.

I always have at least 1 engineer and 1 assassin in my list.

My assassin usually has a potion of STR and the weeping blades.

My engineer, usually has a Doomrocket + condenser(if he is a wizard)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »
Hmm... trying to think here.  60 rats with spears.  20 with hand weapons.

So... perhaps split the groups out into 20 hand, 10 spears.

So I'd only need about 100 more normal clanrats... no big deal!  ;)

Perhaps 20 and 20 would be better, haha.

I guess it's quite worth asking, since I'm new to the game / system, is there a max limit on amount of models in any one unit?

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
Generally no.  Some bigger events like to restrict things a bit, so they aren't that silly.

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
Random Skaven related question:  Can you still fire into units engaged in hand-to-hand?

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Depends on the unit, some Skaven units have "Life Is Cheap" or similar abilities that do let you.

Poisoned Wind Globadiers come to mind, maybe Poisoned Wind Mortars too.

I think you're allowed to fire into Skavenslaves that are in melee too... but I could be wrong.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
this thread makes me sick lol

edit: you're right frosthydra, you can shoot into combats if the only friendly units are slaves.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
Psh, why does the thread make you sick?  You have something against Skaven? :(

I'm mostly just playing them for the sake of "I can blow myself up too?  AWESOME!"

I thought so about the slaves and firing into them, I just forgot to check the codex after posting, whoops.  ::)

EDIT: Updated the main count for new shinies.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 12:50:22 AM »
Psh, why does the thread make you sick?  You have something against Skaven? :(

lol, the entire world has something against skaven. it was a joke, don't take it too seriously. just a bit of good natured ribbing thats all. its alway good to see the fantasy community expanding, lord knows we need it!

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
Lol, I didn't take it too seriously, don't worry about that.  Besides, Skaven are very hateable.

Hell, most Skaven don't even like other Skaven! :)

It's funny, I didn't even think I had that much in the lines of points, then I built a list with everything I own on Army Builder... and apparently I can field about 2800 points worth.  Crazy!