Author Topic: Modeling night?  (Read 20679 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: Modeling night?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »
No Quarter! has a number of excellent articles on terrain making, as well. I have some back issues I could lend to the store if there's interest and I can find them.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
No Quarter!
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »
I like the No Quarter articles. They have very specific instructions and cover a wide verity of terrain.

I think the key here is actually getting something off the ground before worrying about specifics like where to get directions/ideas for specific pieces. If Steve wants to head things up I suggest he post the first date and what he will need for supplies form D.

Again I would start with trees which are fairly strait forward.

Then again I am not intending to be heavily involved in this if at all so perhapses I should go away now.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »
I agree regarding the pine cones.  I'm thinking more of the scratch built trees.  Their instructions for those seem easy enough to make a bunch of trees of varying heights and then merge them as a forest or as singular articles of foliage.

Just tossing it out there and whatever type of trees are chosen you are right, trees are the way to go first.  You Warmachine guys really need them.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »
General concsnes seems to be trees. Easy way would to be to use lots of the Citidel ones but that would get priicy even though they are great forest terrain.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Trees
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 05:03:15 PM »
I am not a fan of the Citadel trees. I would prefer to see something like woodland scenics. They should have kits for building various sizes. Grab some foliage, some pre-made spruces and go.

Of course you could always hand build but I am not sure it would be that much less expensive.

One idea I had was using the Gale Force 9 medium magnetic bases for the trees for storage. However I am not sure how flexible they are so they may not work on the table.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Trees ARRRRGGG!
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
My recent experience trying to spruce up the existing trees leads me to believe that the bets approach is to make new trees. When the clumped foliage falls off (or you pull it off) it leaves a fair amount behind and I think the glue was having trouble sticking to it.

That would require
Clumped foliage (light and medium green are the way to go)
Medium GW bases (40mm?)
Armatures (of whatever hight/s we decide on)
One or two glue brushes
Time and effort

We already have:
Tacky glue
White glue
Base flocking

Also. I [long list of expletives redacted] hate trees. They are a much bigger pain in the [more expletives redacted] than I thought.

In addition while I am willing to help fix up some trees and things I do NOT want to run any kind of terrain club. This is just information for Steve.

Steve, let us know when you are having your first terrain 'club/group/pizza-fest' meeting.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
I'll make some trees.  I hope to go by Pearl and that other craft store in Fenway this weekend.

All hail Steve our new terrain club leader!

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
You planning on scratch building? I figured getting some woodland scenics armatures would be easier even if we paint them.

We could add two shades of brown paint to the supplies list.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »
I have never made them before but figured scratch building would be cheaper.  I honestly have not tried to make any yet.

The problem with the GF9 magnetic bases are the lack of grip and that they are based on strip magnets so it would be harder to store reliably.

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
Its probably infinitely easier to buy some trees, 1. They look nicer, 2. Their already built (no work to frustrate you). 3. Saves time on building

Seriously Michaels, A.C. Moore probably any other craft store sells little hobby trees (i have seen them!!) Also these will most likely hold up much better than any wire/armature tree w/foliage glued on.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »
Dave, you are slowly becoming my personal online sense of reason.

I'll check them out.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »
Id go to Minutemen Hobbies for the trees. It's always nice to support another hobby store.
beep bop boop

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
Where are they located?

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Purchasing Trees
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
The purchased trees ARE armature trees with clump foliage. And they are more expensive than building from bulk armatures unless you only need 6 or less.

This is Deric's money we are talking about and pre-built trees aren't exactly a 'terrain club' activity as they only need to be glued to bases and flocked. If Deric wants to do that one of us can do it all in a couple hours max.

As for the magnetic bases I agree. Bad idea on my part. Deric suggested cutting out foam insulation into pockets for individual trees so people put them away carefully.