Author Topic: i need to complain  (Read 3243 times)

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Re: i need to complain
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Its not all bad, but its not as good as it was. In my opinion. I'm glad you like it. I think I'm going to try to make a mostly cavalry Ulric army ( knights got beter and cheaper). Hopefully they Errata Demigriph knights to be T4 that seems like a really big mistake to me.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
If dryads were not skirmishers, i think they would be a solid book, thats the only thing they are missing is a rank and file unit that can win a combat reliably. Then again like you said, wood elf players are finding ways to win without one.
no way man, this would substantially weaken the army imo. think about how much easier they would be to get to grips with if they didn't get march+free reforms. they'd have to be babysat by the shooters and support units rather than acting as CC support for a shooting army.

after constantly being raped in tournaments by WE, i think all the army really needs is pts reductions, a new lore (and access to beasts and life for level 2's), magic items redone, and let the characters keep their damn glade guard bows.

Quote from: JakeM
It has a few cool things. Like detatchments, warrior priests, demi griphon knights and the magic items are pretty good. It's just that everything falls a little short of being good enough. The core of the army just dosnt have the ability to stand up to fighting armys. The shooting units are under effective and horribly over priced. 9 points for an empire hand gunner! 100 points for a strength 2 mortar! The army can do some tricks, but at the end of the day it dosnt have a way of winning.
tbh, i'm not sure how this falls short of your expectations. empire core troops have NEVER had the ability to stand up to fighty armies. its not surpising that this would change with the newest incarnation. as for mortars, you have to admit that the removal of partials and the addition of shadow magic with 8th skyrocketed these things into the "stupidly obnoxious" category. a reduction in strength on that template is fairly reasonable i think. i have a feeling that if you do the math on a current mortar and a "partials" S3 mortar, you'll get similar results vs a block of standard, T3, 5+ troops.

EDIT: isn't it ironic that everyone bitched and moaned about how worthless cavalry have become, and now they may actually be an important element in some armies?

Quote from: JakeM
I'm going to make a list and if I can get the day off ill play it at the next BG tourney. After that I expect them to get put in a box in the back of my closest untill 2022.
well, at least until WoC, DoC, and DE get redone. i haven't had time to really digest the empire book but i doubt that its miles behind the TK and O&G books. and even the OK and VC aren't that bad. besides, you can't make one list, play it in one tourney and then decide to shelve them  ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:13:07 AM by brother_maynard »

King of the Elves

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
after constantly being raped in tournaments by WE, i think all the army really needs is pts reductions, a new lore (and access to beasts and life for level 2's), magic items redone, and let the characters keep their damn glade guard bows.

I agree with all this, i also think that ALL units that use ongbows should get glade guard longbows, because everyone starts out as glade guard and moves up from there. I also think they should not have the -1 penalty on shooting through woods. One last thing that would kinga even them out is some light armour that you don't have to pay a extra 5 points for. I really hope they get a new army book soon but so far it seems it's going to the dwarves or brotonions (i know i spelled those wrong).

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
King - next book is going to be WOC according to Tue rumour guys who are usually good about that.

Maynard - I may have over reacted in saying I was going to put them in a closet till 2022. I'm sure ill still play them. They are ok, but like I said I don't see them having a clear path to victory. I know they shouldn't be a hand to hand powerhouse, but I expect them to make up for that with shooting or magic and I don't feel like they excel at anything.

Empire army is like the Bard in D&D 3.5 they are super cool, lots of character and can do everything, but they don't do anything as well as the other classes and always seem to be the first party member to die.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
Maynard - I may have over reacted in saying I was going to put them in a closet till 2022. I'm sure ill still play them. They are ok, but like I said I don't see them having a clear path to victory. I know they shouldn't be a hand to hand powerhouse, but I expect them to make up for that with shooting or magic and I don't feel like they excel at anything.

lol, i know, its easy to get caught up in the internet hate sweeping the army right now. i honestly don't think its going to be that bad, i 'll wait to pass judgment on them until i've seen them in a few games.

and to be honest, i think that "not excelling at anything but being good at everything" is the way forward in 8th. the armies that do the best are the most balanced ones, so i'm really excited to see how things play out if the books continue on the current trend.

btw: i changed my name because its fine if they call me maynard on other forums but its wicked weird on here lol

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:41 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that with the name. Lol.

I sat down and worked really hard on a list and I actually came up with something I'm excited to play. Turns out I own way more empire stuff then I should. Like 26 knights that I've never really used. I'll be playing swordsman still because I own120!

Grandmaster
Lv 4 shadow
Lv 1 fire
Priest (mounted)
Priest
BSB

40 swordsmen
20 swordsmen (detachment)
10 archers (detachment)
10 IC knights
5 pistoliers
5 pistoliers